All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Oct 03, 2024 11:22 pm

Post subject: Re: Lord of Edoras' WIP
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:10 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

For gandalf, you could make something like what saruman has for the spell, then make a mold of it and then cast it in clear/translucent resin. then it would be see-through. :)

Really good painting on Saruman! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:47 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I love the concept of this diorama. I've always liked the Istari, and this is cool having them all together like that. Can't wait to see this when it's finished!

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:56 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for the feedback.

The painting on the diorama is near completion! Anyone have any experience painting light source for fire? As you can see, the light source of Saruman's fire right now looks too "yellowy", even though it was a light drybrush.

Also, I'm still in the process of planning/building Gandalf's projectile. Originally I was going to pin the projectile to Gandalf's staff tip, just like Saruman, but then thought that if I did that the "Sourcerous Blast" would look like a physical/material projectile. So I think I'm going to either have it attached to the fireball, or attach it to some sort of vegetation that will be glued around Gandalf.

Another thing I may need to fix is the light source of the ground around the Necromancer. I painted him to have a strong source of light around his chest area, but I'm not sure if the ground around him reflect that...does it need a heavier drybrush or larger area?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:41 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

For the fire OSL, you could do worse than asking barbar how to do it- he painted an OSL Kardush the firecaller and it looks amazing, if you haven't already seen it. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:26 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I must say I'm really impressed by your work, can't wait to see what the finish product of your above piece will look like. I like Saruman's fireball.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:20 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Long time without an update!
I have been so busy with school, with hardly any time to paint anything worthy of an update, until now.
I quick update on the Fall of the Necromancer diorama as it approaches completion. Will definitely take better pictures when it is actually completed. I decided in the end to leave out the projectile for Gandalf. I wasn't completely sure how the projectile was to be sculpted, and ultimately I wanted the centre of attention to be on the fireball, on the leader of the council, Saruman.

My backlog has also been steadily piling up over the months. Picked up a few Gamezone eagles, as I was never a fan of the GW ones. They look a bit bigger, but I'm loving the poses and can't wait to paint them. Also in the picture are the Undying and the Knight of Umbar. What bugs me about these two is not the concept of named Ringwraiths or the stats, but the models themselves. The Undying is an obvious conversion of Gandalf the Grey on horse; GW didn't even bother removing the staff! As for the other Ringwrath, the size creep on the Knight of Umbar is very annoying. His sword is almost as tall as an orc, and his horse is the largest out of any mounted character in my collection. Other than that, I look forward to painting them. I hope to have themed bases for all 9 eventually, and to make a small display base for them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:18 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

You nearly made me buy those Gamezone Eagles aswell, and I'm sure if I keep following this thread, I might end up with them anyway!
Love those figures, lots more then the GW-eagle (but who doesn't... it's got no feet...).

Looking forward to see the eagles in a paint-coat!
The wizards-diorama is awesome! Very nice light-effects!! Great ose of all those figures aswell! :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:28 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

TheBucklandBrewer wrote:
You nearly made me buy those Gamezone Eagles aswell, and I'm sure if I keep following this thread, I might end up with them anyway!
Love those figures, lots more then the GW-eagle (but who doesn't... it's got no feet...)

Thanks for your comments! The Gamezone eagles are fantastic, although there are 2 major downsides to them. They do not come with bases, and they are a pain to assemble. I bought 2 of them - there is one more with its talons in an attacking motion too. Be sure to check them out on their website.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:16 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Curse you... I just ordered them on ebay for £13.50 each... lol. Couldn't resist, they looked way too beautifull, and all I needed but couldn't find on the internet was a comparison between the GW-LOTR-Eagle and the GZ-ones... and that was in your picture aswell.

If you want great looking bases for the eagles (and maybe yet another great looking eagle) I would suggest Ebob-miniatures. He made a fantastic Eagle aswell, and two sorts of bases (plaster, only £2 each)...
link: http://www.ebobminiatures.com/products/fantasy.htm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:33 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hahaha..bart you should paint them and put them in your WiP as well! 8)
I think I'm going to get one or two of those eagles too.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:23 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

So after a long break from this hobby, I'm finally back at it. Over the last few months I have been working on Helm's Deep. Inspired by Onyx's Helm's Deep, I decided to order some Hirst Arts molds and have a try at making it out of plaster. It's definitely a lot more work (and much heavier) than building out of styrofoam.

Early planning on how the main gate will look.

I built the curved sections out of cereal boxes (with foam strips between them for support. The towers were made from foam card.

A few weeks into it the fortress started to take shape. The hardest part of this whole project is fitting the bricks together to shape the walls, especially the curved sections. Lots of pollyfilla have been used to fill in the gaps.

At this point I changed my mind on the height of the outer walls. I wanted mine to more accurate portray the film, so here I'm building the wall downwards for extra height.

After some basecoating...

I had a bit of trouble finding examples of curved walls; it seems most people prefer building a straight Deeping Wall. I decided to do mine the same way I did as the curved keep walls, with a middle removable section, and three sets of stairs behind the wall.

My friends came over the other night, and I quickly finished up the Deeping Wall so we could use it for a game.

Thought I'd share and get some feedback as there is still a lot of work left to do. The board the fortress will sit on has yet to be built, as well as the Hornburg, the causeway, and the mountain that surrounds the fortress. Any terrain advice is appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:47 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

That Helm's Deep of yours is coming along nicely. 8)

I would give more comments but I have homework to finish for classes tomorrow. I'll be thinking of some advice to give you though. To be honest, I never did finish my own Helm's Deep project. You can find it in my WIP somewhere in the middle.

Keep Up the great work!

Current Project: Ringwraiths - Haradrim - Mumakil
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:58 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I took a look at your Helm's Deep; it is impressive! For me the Deeping Wall was easy compared to the rest of the project...took maybe 3 hours to build and 1 hour to paint. I hope you find the motivation to complete it someday because you've done a nice job so far.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:24 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

That is a lot of bricks! Did you use plaster of paris or something else for the bricks?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:43 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Mapper wrote:
That is a lot of bricks! Did you use plaster of paris or something else for the bricks?

I used Plaster of Paris. It seemed to be the material with the best balance between not being too heavy and durable at the same time (I think the whole thing still weighs over 30kg though). I'm pretty sure at this point I've cast well over 2,000 bricks. It gets so repetitive after awhile. The only way I managed to do it is to cast a round, do something else, then come back and cast another round.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:19 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Good to have you back! I've never attempted building Helms Deep, or any scenery really, so I can't really give you much advice unfortunately. Maybe I'll think of something later. So far, I think it's looking really good, it looks like it would be a fun project. Can't wait to see it finished!

-PoW

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:08 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'd not seen this thread originally so it was nice to see your other work and Helm's Deep is coming along nicely.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:40 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Unfortunately, casting bricks is a tedious process but the result is worth it. The only way to get around the repetitiveness is to have multiple copies of the same mold or a custom mold. In your case, building a wall, etc, I don't see a custom mold helping out that much.

Again, your effort was well worth it, nice Helm's Deep and wall.