All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 3:33 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Haldir's Elves take 2
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Wow I got bumped.
Thank you everyone. I like the scheme also. The white is not so bad on these because there is not too much of it, but with clean schemes and light colors you have to be tight as defects will show up easy. I will eventually paint more and one of my Haldir models will be in this scheme.

I am currently working on my first eagle. I have tons of pictures downloaded and find it interesting just how may different color patterns there are on Golden eagles, I have yet to find two that look alike and thus I will most likely have every one different. Even the faces, some have more yellow and some have almost none, feathers some are almost black and some have orange brown and white patterns, and others are mottled with all the color browns there are... is very inspiring as well as challenging at the same time.

Post subject: Re: The Eagles are coming
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:36 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

So I took my own route painting these. I used a line style to paint the textures on the feathers along with the pattern. Edged the golden feathers with some white. Even attempted to create the texture of the scales on the feet, along with many of the smaller feathers on the head and face that were not sculpted on. A challenge but I enjoyed it and hope to use a different golden eagle picture for the next one, use the colors in different amounts on each and vary the patterns, should be cool. I did note in my research that looking up at an eagle from below, the sun shines or illuminates through the hollows of the wings and thus is not really a shadow but a hue change entirely. Very hard to recreate that so I didn't bother and went with a natural textured look.
on with it....
ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:26 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Fantastic work!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:28 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Lovely work, a very expressive piece. Spending that extra time on this figure does make a difference. I found that when I did mine, the little subtleties to help define the feathers and face were priceless.

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:34 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks Hodush and Gandalf the Grey. It was great to work on this and I am hopeful that the next few will turn out as good (if my patience holds). I did finally base these and threw them out on my staging table (it is one of two 4' x 4' gaming boards I have that usually ends up showing off my latest projects or the last table set up we played on, it is nice to have many tables and the room for them). Since I am still a member here I felt I should at least show a final version of this first eagle.
Standard basing of rock and flock... basing is an area I could use much improvement, someday.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:47 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Lovely work mate, a truly original eagle that is very fitting. You have taken your down a different road to mine and I am impressed with the way you have gone about yours. It's unique yet similar, if you get my drift.
As for that board you have, wonderful.
If you want some help and advice with basing I am happy to offer you some pointers when you want some.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:53 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Love the eagle. Great feathering detail and those feet/ talons are fantastic!!!

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:27 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'd like to see a close up of that troll with the cloak conversion who's standing on top of that hill.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:56 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks DMS that means a lot, And Thanks again Gandalf, I will probably it you up on my next eagle base as they don't affect the model so I have a lot of room to play with. I know a good start for me would be to stop for a second and research real terrain that I am trying to mimic jut as I do research for models. But any help in materials I should look into or advice on what to work on would be appreciated very much.

Sticky Fingersss wrote:
I'd like to see a close up of that troll with the cloak conversion who's standing on top of that hill.

It is a bit more than a conversion. The entire body was sculpted (feet and torso) the arms and head are from the kit. I made two bodies for each of the four kits I bought so I made 12 trolls total with those kits. Add to that the two metal Isen, two metal mordor, two catapult trolls, and the chieftain and I have quite a large number of Trolls. Someday I will attempt sculpting an entire troll from scratch as I slowly get better at sculpting (right now I am hit and miss with a lot of my sculpting attempts but still going). Any how, here are the pictures of that troll you are asking about. For the record, the stiches on the cloak are not sculpted, I wish I had, but I thought of it after the fact, so the seam line and the stitches are al freehand to look like they belong there, but those are flat surfaces. I think it came out pretty good considering that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:38 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The Eagles feather detail is really impressive, started mine but put it to the back of the modeling table, will have to start again after seeing yours and Gandalf the Greys.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks for the detailed reply! The blood looks great and I really like the "shin armour."
 Post subject: Re: Haldir's Elves take 2
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:45 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Sithious wrote:
Wow I got bumped.
Thank you everyone. I like the scheme also. The white is not so bad on these because there is not too much of it, but with clean schemes and light colors you have to be tight as defects will show up easy. I will eventually paint more and one of my Haldir models will be in this scheme.

I would love to see that Haldir. It is nice to see some colours that fits the discription their armour has in the book. If I remember correct it was white robes and silver armour 8)
I'll attempt something similar for this month painting challenge :wink:

prov. 27:17
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:50 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Your eagle is fantastic! Brilliant work :)
 Post subject: Re: Another Fell Warg attempt
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:07 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks everyone for all the great feedback. I actually got to go see some live eagles, they were bald eagles, a pair. There were many other birds in a exhibit at the ecotarium (a local wildlife and science center) it was really great to see.

Anyway I am still learning about my sculpting tools. I think this attempt at a fell warg is the best scale wise and I am grasping the concept of being patient and letting things cure before going to another part. so each leg was done on a separate day (I only had an hour of hobby time each night this week anyway). So I feel I am making progress. I will be fixing some fur area's on this one and trying to smooth out his leg details better if I can.
anyway here is the work so far;
ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:25 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

They look excellent! Looks pretty spot on proportionally, especially the back half. I think the front left leg maybe should go a touch further forward or have just a little less bulk as it leaves him without much neck.

I still struggle with armatures/wiring so I normally just work from the chest down on whatever it is. I made the mistake of thinking I was safe to keep working on my ent & put a giant thumb over it - I won't make that mistake again!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:42 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Looks great Sith, a talent emerging here.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:29 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Wow. A talent to rival UKFB!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:49 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

LordElrond wrote:
Wow. A talent to rival UKFB!

Given time...

This is coming on well though. :)

I agree with the comment about the front leg. It's nearly there but I'm not sure about the position. The face looks really good. Have you got a clear mug shot?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:31 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I have daddy duties tonight but I will do more work on this Friday and post up some more shots.
I don't think I can rival UKFB, I am glad that he is here to inspire us with his work as he progresses.
I think that with this particular warg I have started to get the base form right, I have been holding up to the fell wargs on sprue I have to compare it often. I will work on the legs as they are not smooth, and the next shot I will try to show it as he should stand, to keep him from tipping over I had to lean him so I could take pictures. I also want to add a bit more on the fur, I have been pulling on it with tweezers along with my traditional waves with the tool to make fur, I then can tamp down the pulls and get some nice spikes and variety, but I have to make it more uniform. Anyway thanks for all the encouragement, I will definitely re-read everyones input before I get to work on the next session.
I will also take pics of my ent in progress, lol. for about three years now I have been adding any extra epoxy to a ent form. after all this time it is starting to look pretty good and I may want to spend some time finishing it and start a new one for my 'excess' materials.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:32 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Looking again I've noticed something to work on. The area between the fur and the skin on the belly.
From the picture it looks slightly like the skin overlaps onto the fur, not the other way round. A few strands or curls of fur in the area will alter that impression.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next