All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 3:29 pm

Post subject: Re: Battle Companies, December 2013
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:00 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I have never found the bows to be a threat. I think in the earlier matches of BC's you should use bowmen as infantry and get in there with them to help your heroes last out a bit. xp is xp. But as bowmen progress they do become a great asset, having 3-5 bowmen holding an area is great. I have not used a force with 50% bows before. To be honest, I am not sure any army should have the option, but since some armies are sold to that count it does make sense to keep it the same for lower groups.

If I was taking 50% and nerfing everyone, I would take less bows or start a new BC so as to enjoy the game again.

I have never had a problem with equiptment lists. Heroes can tailor their character with them. Also an arm wound takes away 2 handed weapons and shields, and things like that so sometimes you have to take different equiptment for a hero than his starting profile suggests.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:07 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Long ago, certain companies had the 50% bow limit and it was pretty powerful, but that was long before even the LoME book. Since then, archery has been significantly nerfed and I thought it might be worthwhile to trying giving it back to the armies that have that rule in their standard lists, since that is how GW has balanced the game. If it is found to be too powerful, we can always adjust it again.

Like Josh, I tend to run my archers forward as support and only take shots of opportunity, since every warm body counts in small games like this.

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:22 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

That's actually a much simpler and more effective solution.

By the way, I thought of a little idea.
A special rule, that can be taken by a hero instead of rolling on the special rules charts, but only if his company has the max of five heroes.
Peerless Leader - This hero's standfast can affect other heroes from his battle company. Only one hero in a battle company can have this rule at a time.
Just thought it might add a little incentive to reach the peak of a company's potential, and represent chain-of-command and suchlike.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:13 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Vandalcabbage - if you're to include it, specify that it MAY affect friendly heroes, but if they use it, they cannot make a Stand Fast! roll themselves. Otherwise you can create a large bubble of effect.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:17 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

That's a good idea. HB
Peerless leader- At any time when making a standfast, this Hero may declare he is making a company rally. If so, all warriors and heroes from his battle company may be affected, but his assertion of authority will draw attention away from his subordinates- any affected heroes may not also make a standfast if the leader's standfast passes. Only one hero per battle company may have this rule at a time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:29 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

How about this -

VandalCabbage wrote:
Peerless Leader- At any time when making a Stand Fast!, this Hero may declare he is making a Company Rally.

Company Rally - All warriors within range are affected as normal. All Heroes within range this battle company may be affected by this Stand Fast!, but his assertion of authority will draw attention away from his subordinates - any affected Heroes can not make their own Stand Fast! attempt. Only one hero per battle company may have this rule at a time.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:40 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yeah, that's what I was going for, but you worded it much better.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:04 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I did start a Khand BC yesterday (now have 4 active), as they were not available on the old BC rules. I tried filming it but had some edit problems, but rest assured they will make an appearance.

I really want to see if the chariots bring an unbalance to the game later, I think the points help balance a game so it is a test. The other issue is that they can become useless in a take the high ground or a heavy terrain scenario, effectively the model would need to dismount thus losing BC effectiveness after the game has started (so he cannot recover those points through rerolls). Do you think a rule can apply to 'leave equipment stashed'? Since wounded members are back at camp sitting it out, I think a way to leave mounts, and in this case chariots, back at camp for scenario's that they will not be effective, thus an accurate BC effective rating can be done before the match. Not sure, thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:45 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Sithious wrote:
I did start a Khand BC yesterday (now have 4 active), as they were not available on the old BC rules. I tried filming it but had some edit problems, but rest assured they will make an appearance.

I really want to see if the chariots bring an unbalance to the game later, I think the points help balance a game so it is a test. The other issue is that they can become useless in a take the high ground or a heavy terrain scenario, effectively the model would need to dismount thus losing BC effectiveness after the game has started (so he cannot recover those points through rerolls). Do you think a rule can apply to 'leave equipment stashed'? Since wounded members are back at camp sitting it out, I think a way to leave mounts, and in this case chariots, back at camp for scenario's that they will not be effective, thus an accurate BC effective rating can be done before the match. Not sure, thoughts?

I was under the impression you have your BC ready to deploy before you roll scenarios. I don't think it's a good idea to look at a scenario and they decide what army you're going to field. Theoretically you could dismount an entire mounted BC and lower it's rating by half if you don't like the terrain present.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:10 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I think what KhaosRising says is valid. I would see it more as a tactical challenge. As a commander, there are times and places when you do not have the proper troops/equipment or have sub-optimal equipment to do the job at hand. It is your responsibility to grasp victory from the jaws of defeat. In addition, with the new rules, the underdog company gets to choose the scenario and whether they will be the attacker or defender, so this allows them to choose a scenario where they feel like they have a chance at victory.

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:56 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks VandalCabbage - when WFB has been your primary system for nearly a decade and a half, you tend to know how to word things to minimise loopholes (combination of experience of rules without loopholes and, more recently, far too many WITH loopholes).
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:34 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Haha yeah. I actually like the rule more like this. It represents the loss or respect the sergeants get if the lieutenant thinks things are desperate enough to declare one, and encourages the BC to fight as a unit when they are incorporated into a full army.

On the subject of dismounting, I agree that it should work as is. You still have to go to all the effort of lugging those chariots/horses around your pillaging sector. That doesn't change. In lots of battles with cavalry - such as French v.s. English in the hundred years war - the French might have been better served if they had gotten rid of some of their equipment and dismounted riders. It's a tactical decision, and one that has an opportunity cost. You might decide to dismount half-way though a game; you might decide to keep chaps on horses. The current system represents real-life (in Middle-Earth) very well I think.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:24 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Another few thoughts I had while reading the current rules.

Just a question; why is natures wrath given before call winds? Call winds seems like a much more simple spell, it just seems like you would be able to learn that before wrath. Or you could allow people to choose. Another idea would be to give like Aura of Command to high elves and aura of dismay to wood elves or just try to make them a little bit different.

Another thing, should some elites like guards of the Fountain Court and Black Guard of Barad-dur be promotion only? Just thought that it would make them feel more "special" and "earnt" by a warrior than a random 6 followed by a 6. Finally, if warriors fail on the promotion table, could they receive +1 next time they roll on it? Just might make it feel a little less random and to reward warriors without making their effort feel so wasted when they fail just one post-game dice roll.

Sorry if this feels like pestering; I'm just curious. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:24 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Are you working on the DoS releases to be implemented into your battle companies rule pack?
I'll still want my Dale to take over a small part of middle earth one day ^^