All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 3:27 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 975 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 49  Next
 Post subject: Re: MMS's wip thread
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:10 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

So when are you planning to enter a serious competition ?

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:41 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I don't understand why you feel the need to rush - youre not building a big army as far as I understood. I would redo all of them, your standard is much higher.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:21 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Gandlaf the Grey wrote:
So when are you planning to enter a serious competition ?

I may enter GD next year if it's held in Chicago and make a holiday out of it. I still need to improve on a few areas first like my blending and the overall details. having never actually seen another person's miniatures in the flesh so to speak it's difficult to judge how I compare.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:42 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thao wrote:
I don't understand why you feel the need to rush - youre not building a big army as far as I understood. I would redo all of them, your standard is much higher.

I'm not painting an army but I am trying to collect and paint the entire Hobbit collection along with all of the lotr characters. The dwarfs don't interest me as much as other models and being able to mentally check them off my list is a relief.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:25 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Minimal Monkey Saddle wrote:
Thao wrote:

I'm not painting an army but I am trying to collect and paint the entire Hobbit collection along with all of the lotr characters. The dwarfs don't interest me as much as other models and being able to mentally check them off my list is a relief.

I know exactly what you mean, i do the same, my Thorins company could have had a lot more time spent on them, but i wanted them finished to game with ASAP. Still yours are painted really well.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:13 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I thought I would share with you a basic outline of my painting process. This will be mainly concentrated on how I use colour.

For this demonstration I am going to paint one of the old metal wood elves. This is quite a tricky model due to the layers of clothing and some care needs to be taken to create a balanced composition.

I've chosen an Autumn theme so oranges and reds will be the dominant colours. With this in mind my first paint selection is bloodstone from P3 which is a warm orange/brown. To complement this my second base colour is military green from vallejo model colour. My final base colour is midlund flesh (p3) for the skin tone.

To expand my palette I then add my "go to" paints of:

dark sea green (vmc) - dark blue/green
hull red (vmc) - dark red
frostbite (p3) - pastel blue
menoth white highlight (p3) - ivory
umbral umber (p3) - umber

with these paints I can just about highlight and shade almost any other colour. I then proceed to mix these together on my palette. I use a wet palette partly out of necessity - it's very hot here and my paints would dry out very quickly otherwise - and also because I like to have all of my paints available throughout.

This is my starting palette:

For priming I would ideally use the preshading technique whereby I prime first grey and then do an overhead spray of white. I've been having problems with this, I think because of the high humidity, with the priming leaving a grainy/furry texture. For my main painting I am now using only grey primer but for the purposes of this demonstration I have preshaded the model

Once the primer is dry I basecoat all of the model with the aim of covering in two layers. After the first layer I review the overall balance of the colours and make any adjustments with the subsequent layer. In this case I didn't like the pale red I had used as I felt it drew the eye away from the face and towards the lower half of the mini. I also added some yellow to my palette for the hair to add a little variety. At this stage the preshading is still quite noticable.

For the shading I prefer to use complementary mixes of the basecolours rather than a straight dark colour. So for the green and red I used a mix of green and red! For orange I used an orange and green/blue mix.

I thinned the paint a little more and applied it neatly as a glaze. I try to avoid any pooling by picking up small amounts of paint at a time and using the brush to push the paint into the shadow areas.

I use the preshading and an overhead lamp to work out where to place the shadows.

I added further shading using very thin military green and dark sea green mix. The general idea is that cold colours will appear further away and by using this temperature difference I can add more contrast.

Before I added the highlights I did some thin glazes of the base colours to smooth the transitions and to bring out the colour following the shading.

The highlighting is done in a reverse of the shading. I use warm mixes and push the paint towards the light. This again takes a couple of layers.

I still need to finish off the final details and the base but hopefully this gives you an idea of my approach. To get the model to this stage took less than two hours and that included a couple of breaks and having to stop to take photos. Apart from the graininess I think it's an acceptable tabletop standard. If I wanted a higher standard I would do a lot more glazes, switching between dark and light, for smoother transitions and add more detail by working on increasingly smaller sections.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:44 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Excellent, thanks for this. I think a wet palette is the next step in my painting progress.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:21 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Great little mini tutorial. I like the idea of the light above to help set the shading and highlights.
i haven't tried a wet palette yet but am considering it. I currently use a medium to prevent the paint drying too quickly. As I dont have the luxury of high temperatures then it seems to suit me, however, are there any other benefits from using the wet palette ?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:35 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

It can be quicker to mix a transition between two different colours using a wet palette, but you lose some precision, and it's easier to clean. I do use a normal plastic palette when the occasion arises such as for doing more dilute glazes as it can be tricky to prevent everything running together on a wet palette.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:43 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I admire all these advanced techniques but have little clue how to apply them :(

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:31 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hey MM did you noticed that priming Hobbit resin figure with the spray can half way or less you get more grained texture? :P
Its something I noticed combined with the dry out, I dont let it dry outside, preference is to let it dry inside a dry place.
Im trying myself with Saruman the white from hobbit range but hes proving tricky without getting water in it to get a blur mix.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:25 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Turns out the problem was the primer so I've switched to using some brush on stuff that I can trust.

I've been working through the remaining character models in my collection. As you can probably tell a lot of the were from bgime and it's quite a relief to have them done (apart from the bases obviously. I ran out of glue and haven't had a chance to buy more.)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:25 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I was wondering where you had gone and I can see now. Plenty of work there mate and it must feel nice to get your backlog down.
I have at 200 in mine still to do so it could be a long while before I get them done.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:22 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Urhhh back logs..... A few1000 at the last count :shock:

Great painting as always MMS, particularly like the Beserker. Nice to see you posting again

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:26 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'm loving the eyes on Durburz!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:32 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hi guys

I was fortunate to find a bunch of metal elf spearmen that I'm painting in what will be my interpretation of the hobbit uniform. So far I've got all of the colours worked out and have done some initial highlighting and shading.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:11 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Very well painted, it is incredibly realistic and detailed. :D

Is it me or is that figure, missing a hand, though :?

Check out my WIP! :meh:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:52 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Great colour scheme. This is already looking a bit special and worth taking time over.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:39 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Beautiful!! Could you give us a painting guide for this maybe? It looks very inspiring!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:01 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

A tip when painting the spearman in the Knights of Rivendell is that the capes are spotted with grey. Check the scene Lindir goes to the dwarves, and check the two guards.

Furthermore it's looking great!!
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 975 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 49  Next