All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 3:34 pm

Post subject: how to defeat Dwalin
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:29 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi,

was playing the hobbits SBG and was using goblins against Thorin's company.

Any strategy to defeat Dwalin? I felt he is rather too strong for normal goblin soldier to defeat em. Tried 3 against 1 but was swept one shot by him.
 Post subject: Re: how to defeat Dwalin
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:31 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Goblin king? Surround and trap him with spear support? Immobilise him?

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:18 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Well seeing as you can get over 20 goblins for his points cost it shouldn't be too hard to mob him

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:32 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

3 against one sounds a lot but Dwalin can take a lot more. Don't forget the Chittering Hordes rule, and try using a goblin captain (who also benefits from this rule) with a heroic strike to bring him down (if possible, after reducing his own might down).

Good luck
VG

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:13 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sometimes its best to fight the shooty stuff and shoot the fighty stuff! I would honestly recommend mobbing him with goblins to bring his might down etc, except when the Goblin King is in range I would suggest throwing goblins at him. Make sure that he is in combat with preferably 1 goblin at a time to raise your chance of hitting him. The goblin king hits on a 5+ but will damage the blighter on 3+.

If you are fighting in Goblin Town whereby if the Goblin King wins a fight he can choose to use a Monsterous Power attack I would suggest picking off the weaker dwarves first by Hurling them of the decking into the bottomless pit which is an instant lights out. I have played one battle on a Goblin Town board and literally half my force including Radagast were literally thrown to their deaths, fate roll will be no use here!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:01 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I couldn't resist posting an image of the Goblin King standing victorious on his home turf (which he is literally as evolved as a great white shark to dominate) just after he had despatched poor Fili, my last surviving dwarf!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:48 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Mob him and be hitting him with all of the various special strikes you have available, after all if he wins the dice roll he's gonna destroy your Goblins anyway, and if he loses your guys have lots of funky, more powerful hits. If you can, have the Captain, Grinnah or the Gobbo King in the fight, to make him blow all of his Might. He'll only be killing one or two a turn, and you can field a Goblin captain and a good number of goblins (about 15 I think) for his points cost. Given time, you'll wear down his Might and Fate reserves. It'll probably cost you most of your goblins, but that's what they're there for!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:57 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Allright!!! will try everyone recommendations. Well he is strong in that a 3+ he can wound a goblin which makes it easy for him to kill my goblin surrounding him.

I tried 6 vs 1 3 back support still same the front 3 got killed off. He is a strong character.

Well i could not surround him with my 3 strongest characters as their hands are tied up going against Gloin and Thorin as well. So was thinking of perhaps a strategy that allows me to wound him using normal goblins.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:07 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Either throw him, or throw someone at him to knock him down then get a charge on him asap. That way, he can't fight back and you'll get double strikes!

VG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:46 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Try sending one goblin at a time against him then whilst you attack the rest of the dwarves, once you have dealt with them you can focus on Dwalin.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:59 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Scib wrote:
Try sending one goblin at a time against him then whilst you attack the rest of the dwarves, once you have dealt with them you can focus on Dwalin.

If you do go down that route, make sure that the goblin is supported by another with the "chittering hordes rule", the only thing is, that if you win the fight your hardly going to be able to put the boot in with one goblin!

If you surround him with 6 supported goblins and win, thats' 24 strength 3 hits against him all with a 1 in 3 chance of wounding him! Don't fanny around, goblins are dirt cheap and expendable, but their strength is in numbers and don't be afraid to use it.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:59 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Bilbo wrote:
Scib wrote:

If you do go down that route, make sure that the goblin is supported by another with the "chittering hordes rule", the only thing is, that if you win the fight your hardly going to be able to put the boot in with one goblin!

If you surround him with 6 supported goblins and win, thats' 24 strength 3 hits against him all with a 1 in 3 chance of wounding him! Don't fanny around, goblins are dirt cheap and expendable, but their strength is in numbers and don't be afraid to use it.

Well the thing is Dwalin Strength is greater than the goblin. So most of the time when i managed to roll a 6 it has high chances of tying with him on a 6 roll and he wins with strength comparison. So pretty hard to win a duel even surrounded. Of course haha might need to wait for a day for my opponent to have a bad rolling day.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:01 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dwalin has odds of 50% of rolling a natural six, if you can surround him with at least 6 models you should on average roll one 6, if they are backed up the odds will naturally rise. Dwalin has two points of might which he may well have to use in one turn. The odds are in your favour of killing him outright if you can surround him supported in six turns, if he has a particularly low roll it could well be one!