All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 5:21 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dr Grant's WIP [Ugluk, Sharky & Saruman]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:53 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Look at the difference 2 years makes! Incredible - very well done. Mounted Saruman looks fantastic.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:02 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Nice work u got there.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:35 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

nice work Dr G! look forward to (hopefully) meeting them on the field of battle and (even more hopefully) crushing them haha.
All 3 have come out amazing. I love how you have done the white on sharkey and saruman.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:44 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Thanks for all the comments guys, you may have seen that Saruman ended up placing joint 4th in the painting competition behind some really great entries - mustn't grumble! Although perhaps I should've entered Sharky...

@Southy - Yep, he'll be there at Finchley, hopefully we'll finally get our game! Are you bringing your Erebor dwarves? I'd love to play that army.

So I've just returned from holiday and am itching to get started on some new stuff. My resolve has crumbled though as my final Isengard bits have once again been pushed aside in favour of entering this month's painting challenge for the Dwarf Holds. Thorin's Company were about 2 or 3 batches down the painting queue and when I saw the painting challenge category i just had to bump them up.

I've been waitng patiently to paint these figures for 9 months now, crawling my way through my backlog and I can honestly say i can't wait to get stuck in. I'll be painting the company in two batches and have picked my favourite 6 models to start with: Thorin, Dwalin, Gloin, OIn, Kili and Bifur.

Not sure quite how long these will take me, I'd guess aorund 2 weeks like normal so hopefully I'll get 'em in just before the deadline.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
 Post subject: Re: Dr Grant's WIP [early days with Thorin's Company]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:08 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Update time!

I've made a fair bit of progress with the dwarves, albeit not as much as I might have liked due to being crazy busy for the last couple of weeks.

I started by getting all 6 of them base-coated and shaded to the point you see below and I'd then planned to highlight them all together as I normally do.

However, as their colour schemes are all so different I actually decided to work each dwarf up one at a time. I must say this probably wasn't the quickest approach but it was deeply satisfying working on just one model until it was completed. In this way I managed to get first Gloin and then Dwalin done in time for the competition so I'm going to enter them both. I'd hoped to have all 6 done and then pick my best three but alas there just wasn't time.

I must say I adored working on these figures, they were really good fun to paint and they're dripping with character. It's certianly not the quickest way to paint figures (I think I probably spent about 5 hours each on Dwalin and Gloin) but I think they're the kind of figures that deserve that level of time and attention.

I'm honestly thrilled with how these turned out, particularly Dwalin, I think he's up there with the best figures I've done, hope you agree! :-)

Thorin and Oin next, hopefully finished by next weekend

Cheers chaps

Post subject: Re: Dr Grant's WIP [Dwalin and Gloin]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:15 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Fantastic looking minis - what amazes me is the neatness of your painting even when the onscreen image is many times the size of the actual mini itself (I am using 27-inch monitors). Very nicely based too :)

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:40 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Don't get me wrong I still hate you but these are really good. I gotta agree about Dwalin being pretty great. What I actually like about playing your Isengard army is that each model has been given the sort of attention most people give to a hero so everything looks top notch and super.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:56 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Awesome work - top quality paintwork!

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:02 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Clear painting and great colours! Well done, they look fantastic!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:33 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Amazing! By far one of the best painted Dwalins and Gloins I have seen.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:46 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Wow, thanks so much for all the kind comments guys, having such great feedback from painters whose work I really respect is really humbling so thanks so much.

@Dorthonion - Thanks buddy, means a lot, I'm always quite intimidated by that aspect (zoomed in photos) so that's good to hear. I was actually really disappointed with the pics of my mounted Saruman (bottom of page 4) as on the close up of his head I thought his cloak looked really messy. It came as a shock as the naked eye really couldn't see that much detail and it was quite frustrating, mounted Saruamn looks far better in the flesh than in those pics - I promise! I do think the dwarves scaled up quite well though, perhaps my painting's getting a little neater.

Anyway, I've been working away on another couple this week and can now proudly present Thorin and Oin. Again, I really enjoyed painting these figures, the sculpts are amazing and there's so much detail to sink your teeth into, I must say that I was slightly uninspired on Thorin (too much black/dark blue for my liking) but I'm happy with the finished result. Oin however, I adored, I was a bit dubious about painting him to begn with as he was predominantly brown/grey but I loved working up his highlights. He's another stunning figure and the detial in the face and beard is just incredible, brilliant likeness to the actor too. It's always hard to be objective about this stuff but I honestly think Oin might be one of the best figures I've ever painted, hopefully you'll agree! Anyhoo, onto the pics!

Interestingly enough, as I was painting these guys I realised that the 4 dwarves I've painted, with the addition of a certain Grey Pilgrim, totalled bang on 500 points so I dug out my old Fellowship Gandalf (the very first LOTR hero I painted nearly 3 years ago and it shows!) to create this sexy little warband:

There's a 500 point tournament coming up in October and today we had a mini tournament of practice games at my games club so I decided to give these guys a little run out. All hero armies are a very new thing for me, how did they get on? You'll find out in the next day or two when I write up one of my typically rambling tournament reports! :-)

Not sure what to do next, Kili and Bifur obviously need highlighting but Bombur's the next dwarf I want to add into a gaming list so I might get him painted up. I've also got Yazneg, Golfimbul and Fimbul waiting to be done for this month's painting challenge so maybe I should prioritise them...

Hmmmm, we'll see what I fancy when I next sit down at the painting desk.

Post subject: Re: Dr Grant's WIP [Thorin and Oin]
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:42 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Time for a little update - I've been working away on Bombur and got him based and shaded, I've done a bit more on him since the photo was taken but he's not finished just yet

That's mainly because I decided to get stuck into Fimbul and Yazneg for this month's 'Warg' painting challenge

I'm always rushed when I do these challenges so I decided to try and get my entry finished early for once. However, it took me about a week all told to get all 4 models cleaned up, assembled, green stuffed and primed so I already feel like I'm behind!

Again I've been working on them since I took the photo and I've got them based and shaded (so they're at the same stage as the Bombur photo). Hopefully starting the highlights tonight with 2 weeks to go, I know it seems like a long time but I paint slowly, don't get all that much time and don't want to rush these guys.

As I cleaned them up and spent a lot of time with them I absolutely fell in love with these sculpts, they're so much better in the flesh than they look on the website and the detail and texture are absolutely incredible, particularly in the orcs' flesh and wargs' fur. They're the best example of Finecast I've seen yet and I think this comes from them being made for the material rather than converted from the metal moulds like my other finecast figs.

It's a bit frustrating to not have more to show but hopefully in about 2 weeks I'll have 5 shiny new models ready to show off!

Post subject: Re: Dr Grant's WIP [Yazneg, Bombur and Fimbul]
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:58 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The bases really set off your miniatures mate. Good contrasts. Hurry up and get cracking on Yazneg! I love that mini.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:07 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Looking forward to seeing the Orcs painted up

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:57 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yazneg has such a nice sculpt they need to hurry up and give him a profile :'(
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:21 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Is it just me or is there a massive height difference between Yazneg and fimbul?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:23 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Thanks for the support chaps, been working on mounted Yazneg for the last few nights and I'm getting really frustrated if I'm honest :-( His skin hasn't come out right and I just can't get the detail right on the beards, dwarf faces and bone armour, the Finecast detail is incredible but I don't think I'm quite a good enough painter to pick it all out! We shall see, hopefully a few more sessions will show some good improvement.

@Samoht - Yeah he's much bigger, he towers over the dwarves, very intimidating. I imagine it's because GW sculpted him when that character was still in the Azog role and so was meant to be a big, intimidating orc. If you watch the movie, the Warg mounted Yazneg is far more imposing and scary than the shuffling, stunted one who confronts Azog at Weathertop.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:31 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Mate, just been looking through your WIP... Didn't know how much of a brother from another mother you were until now.

Mounted Rohan army, knight of the pelennor, eagles... Mounted radagast conversion.

Top work my friend, expect a pm for tip, want to do mounted radagast myself!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:58 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

So here he is crawling over the finish line to make it into the painting competition, I give you - Yazneg!

I've gotta be honest I didn't really enjoy this, as I mentioned I found the detail hard to pick out and none of the colours really ended up the way I wanted. Ah well, nowt can be done about it now.

I'm gonna crack on with both FImbuls and the other Yazneg next, try and get them done in time for a Hobbit themed scenario in a couple of weeks.

I must say as much as I struggled with this one I'm really loving getting stuck into the Hobbit figures. Despite the fact I knew I wouldn't be able to paint them for ages due to my backlog I bought myself something Hobbit related pretty much every month meaning I acquired the following haul of booty

Normally I'd find a pile of plastic that large really intimidating but I'm honestly loving it, it's agonising trying to decide what to pick to paint next each time with so many superb models!

Great to know there'll be a whole new range of toys out in a couple of months too, and a new trailer tomorrow - damn good time to be a Hobbit fan I say!

Post subject: Re: Dr Grant's WIP [Mounted Yazneg]
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:33 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Wow, is that really a ton of goblin town scenery sprues?
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next