All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 5:18 am

Post subject: Mumak
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:18 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I played against my first mumak last night , it was devastating !!. In its first move it destroyed a full warband, from what I read its also resistant to some magic it has 10 wounds etc etc. I tried to feed it one man a turn by calling heroic moves but the man sat on top has might also , making it a 50/50 chance of winning which i lost both times , by then i was down 2 heros with only beregond left ,please could I have some advice in how to deal with it , I play a standard gondor army .
 Post subject: Re: Mumak
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:23 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

D0Cdeath wrote:
I play a standard gondor army .

Thats strange considering you had more dwarves than gondorians on the table!?

But while we are on the mumak subject if a crewman wishes to make a shooting attack on an enemy model that is in base contact with the mumak do they have to test to see if they hit the enemy or the mumak?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:10 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

What do you find strange storm crow? , I did play a dwarf/Gondor army in the battle in question but generally I play Gondor , hence the reason I'm asking for advice when using a Gondor army. Also I think its quite rude to ask your own questions on my post , if you don't know how to do this check out the FAQ at the top right hand corner of the page.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:18 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Generally speaking you want to try one of two ways, Kill the beast itself, or kill the crew so that it stampedes.
Focus any bow fire you have on the Captain/Chieften as they have the highest courage, also by taking them out you take away any heroic actions the mumak can perform.
If you can get a hero of fight value 6 or even just 5 that will help you win combats against it, in terms of stopping its charge your best bet is to heroic action and hopefully win the dice off if he counters. If you're using dwarves then Dain's a good call as he can usually make the mumak stop when it hits him.

Taking on a Mumak is always going to be touch and go for a while but if you can drop the important crew or even kill them completely your in the clear, aside from that take out the captains and then focus on wounding the mumak itself. Also by spreading out your troops a little more you'll make it a bit harder for them to die by trampling.

When shooting from the howdah into combat you need to roll to see if the mumak is hit rather than the target.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:20 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

D0Cdeath wrote:
Also I think its quite rude to ask your own questions on my post ...

Agreed. Stormcrow, please start your own thread for your own question.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:09 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Well i have a mumak and it is very fun... but everyone knows now so i cant play my harad without fighting an anti mumak army. most people try king of the dead. they send troops for attacks to win the fight then the king instakills on a 3+. Plus the king fits into your gondor army.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:48 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Well the easiest way around that is to take a regular harad force for a bit, assuming you have enough models.
If people are adjusting their lists to counter your own then sudden changes can be devastating, if they change to take on your regular harad you can use the mumak then it becomes a game of trying to second guess what you'll each be using.

This is also why a lot of people (myself included) like making balanced armies capable of taking on almost any force out there, or at least having a decent go of it.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:15 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Ferret61 that's a great idea never really considered to king before I'll give it a go , thanks 8)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:24 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I know it's a thread resurrection, but as mentioned variety is your best option. Friday night when I played I actually brought three possible Harad armies and let my opponent roll a die to see what he'd face. That way when the Mumuk did the stomping I could partly clear my conscious that it wasn't ALL my idea. But additionally the variety of lists means you never know what your opponent may bring to the table so you can't build an "anti Mumuk" army, or "anti Cavalry", etc.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:19 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Very true , I think that's really why the games so good , you can never really have the best army because if the the best army is constantly played it won't stay the best for long .
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:18 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Gandalf casting command/compel on the chieftain can make the Mumak trample its own men.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:27 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Take an avenger bolt thrower, obviously shoot with it, but use it as a speed bump for the mumak, it is defence 10 and has 3 wounds, so the mumak will likely have to stop and 'fight' it. Once you have done this send in your f5 heroes

Drop all of your f4 captains, use kings of men and knights of the white tower if you really need to use generic heroes - having f5 is importante.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:45 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

@SuicidalMarsBar The Avenger cannot Fight so therefore the Mumak could choose to step over it and continue moving without penalty. Obviously any crew would have to be rolled for to Wound but they would probably not be effective speed bumps!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:50 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'm not trying to be sassy or anythign Typhoon, but I don't suppose you could give me a page reference as to where it is stated the mumak only tramples models that can fight? As far as I interpret what is in the book the mumak does 3 str 9 hits to every model it passes through, and if a model survives the 3 hits then the mumak must stop and fight. Considering the mumak cannot elect to not trample it's allies, and must also trample any buildings it comes across, I am pretty sure that a siege engine counts as something the mumak has to trample - and can thus stop it mid trample.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:22 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

A model can step over any object less than half its height during its move, ie. move with no Jump test. Page 25 of The Hobbit rules manual.

An Avenger - as with all Siege Engines - has no Zone of Control (page 95). That makes it an Obstacle rather than a model (see Control Zones on page 22). My interpretation, with no specific reference.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:43 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

That's a good point typhoon. My opinion on the matter is that the avenger is a model - you have to pay points for it, man it & include it as part of your army list etc. I don't know of any other "obstacles" where this is the case. So it would seem that clearly it is a model and would have to be fought.

Edit: Having just picked up the EFGT book, it states that siege engines "have profiles in the same way that warriors, heroes and monsters do" so it doesn't appear to be open to interpretation, but it is good to think about anyway. If the mumak wanted it could just destroy some terrain, but its all about the delay you are making.