All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Oct 04, 2024 11:28 pm

Post subject: Minis Tirith 1000pts
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:44 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I am new at this, though I have been collecting and painting my armies well before the rule set was released in 2009 in anticipation. I thought I managed to meet some like minded older folks, but there was a hiccup.....but now they are back. I have a lot more options than what I am putting down here as my first list ( I want a basic list, that gives me exposure to a bunch of stuff, basic stuff). I have more ents, arty, bows, knights, etc, etc. but I like this....

Faramir (use in knights)
MoMT X3 with Captain
MoMT X3 with Captain
MT Knights X5
Ent
KoDA X4
Courst of the Dead with King X3

plus, these are painted or being........ thoughts? PS: I am in Calgary Alberta....so if you are let me know. I also have a huge already painted Isengard army around 2500 pts I would guess. Dont ask me why I didn't do Mordor and Minis Tirith....but I did what I did.
 Post subject: Re: Minis Tirith 1000pts
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:00 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I always just play with a theme that I like the look of or that kinda works.
I rarely loose! Check out my blog for loads of WotR battles! There are several with Gondor armies and that i have won battles easily...

I am sure people will tell you that army of the dead are over cost (bear in mind the book has the wrong value for CotD - there is an FAQ with correct price) or that the KoDA are over cost, But I really would just put an army together you like the look of or theme for and have fun fighting with it!

Most of the time it's down to the dice and a few wise tactics or moves :-)

If you really want advice on why to take and drop then I am sure that someone can help with this, WoMT are cheap and tough and in formations of 4 companies works really well.

Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:13 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Firstly are MoMT Warriors or Archers?

Secondly don't bother with KoMT or AotD, especially at this pts level. Both cost way too much.

WoMT are best in 4s, AoMT and KoMT in 3s, Axemen in 5s. Rangers in 3s.

I think you should forget Legendaries fuul stop for such a pts value, Boromir and Faramir together will suffice.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:41 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

This army is quite good but does have some flaws (not major ones don't worry)

Good Things

1) Faramir is undercosted 90 points for 4 might and epic strike YES PLEASE

2) WOMT (not MoMT) are very good and undercosted

Bad Things

1) Most people take WOMT in x4 companies instead of 3 as it is considered large enough to absorb damage well and dish it out in return but small enough to be manoeuvrable and not ruin your plans completely if it becomes disordered or is Tranfixed etc.

2) KOMT and KODA is 9 companies of cavalry in 1000 point force which is a bit much you could reduce the KOMT to 3 or 4 companies and some people think KODA are a bit overpriced (personally I know my elves die quickly when faced with there 'For Dol Amroth' rule so I think they are worth it)

3) Court of the Dead King as someone said after they were FAQed there now as bad as normal spirits (basically Spirit Grasp is good but D5 for 60 points is just not good enough)

4) No Archers, why???? use the points freed up from the knights to buy some archers, I'd go rangers over AoMT just because +3 shoot value

Things I would change

1) Don't take a normal Ent take Beechbone the hero Ent for 10 points more you get 1 point of might and -1 courage (doesn't really have an effect) this may not seem a lot but the might allows him to AtD so he can keep up with the rest your army and if needed call a Heroic duel (at F8 he makes a mess of a lowly captain)

2) If i were you I would take some Osgiliath Vets. which are basically WoMT with S4, bows and are immune to courage tests this would counter the gap in your army, without the changes I suggest it would be very good at attacking in an open battlefield but if the aim of the game was to defend an objective they wouldn't fair so well given the high number of cavalry models and 3 strong formations of WOMT you are using. The Vets. unit is very versatile an can shoot at +4 if you need to but as they are still D7, S4 and immune to fear can go toe to toe with just about anybody just as well and at this points level there versatility will serve you well

Last edited by ElfGeneral on Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:24 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

ElfGeneral wrote:
KOMT and KODA is 9 companies of cavalry in 1000 point force which is a bit much you could reduce the KOMT to 3 or 4 companies and some people think KODA are a bit overpriced (personally I know my elves die quickly when faced with there 'For Dol Amroth' rule so I think they are worth it) well

Saying SKoDA are better than Elves doesn't make them reasonably costed, it just means they aren't as awful. Whih is the truch, SKoDA are better than Elves but are still overcosted. It's like saying Corsairs of Umbar w/ shields are reasonable because you only play against Spectres.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:24 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

First of all welcome to One Ring.

I like the idea of an army trying to do a bit of everything but you would be hard pressed to do so.

Epic Heroes
Faramir
Isuldir

Common Formations
4x WoMT
4x WoMT
3x KoMT no shields
3x AoMT

Rare Formations
3x KoDA
2x WotD w/Captain

Legendary Formations
Beechbone

995 points, 20 Formations, 3 Heroes, 9 Might

A couple Epic Hero's to move around is better than one. With such an army you'll be wanting to pull off Heroic Fights with multiple formations to maximize the effectiveness of your more expensive units. If you are doubling up your attacks with overcosted units then its not overcosted anymore since they are hitting twice.

I also added a formation of Archers to make it more all-round.

Reduced the amount you spent on Ghosts. They are overcosted so just the bare minimum to move them into position and do their spirit damage. You can make them worthwhile in the right situations so that will be up to you. At the double is very important in WoTR (hense 2 Epic Hero's, adding a captain with the ghosts and the mighted Ent Beechbone)

The only thing missing is magic. You could just use a normal Ent and Thranduil for Beachbone/Isulidir/1c of Archers.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:02 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

ElfGeneral wrote:
This army is quite good but does have some flaws (not major ones don't worry)

Good Things

1) Faramir is undercosted 90 points for 4 might and epic strike YES PLEASE

2) WOMT (not MoMT) are very good and undercosted

Bad Things

1) Most people take WOMT in x4 companies instead of 3 as it is considered large enough to absorb damage well and dish it out in return but small enough to be manoeuvrable and not ruin your plans completely if it becomes disordered or is Tranfixed etc.

2) KOMT and KODA is 9 companies of cavalry in 1000 point force which is a bit much you could reduce the KOMT to 3 or 4 companies and some people think KODA are a bit overpriced (personally I know my elves die quickly when faced with there 'For Dol Amroth' rule so I think they are worth it)

3) Court of the Dead King as someone said after they were FAQed there now as bad as normal spirits (basically Spirit Grasp is good but D5 for 60 points is just not good enough)

4) No Archers, why???? use the points freed up from the knights to buy some archers, I'd go rangers over AoMT just because +3 shoot value

Things I would change

1) Don't take a normal Ent take Beechbone the hero Ent for 10 points more you get 1 point of might and -1 courage (doesn't really have an effect) this may not seem a lot but the might allows him to AtD so he can keep up with the rest your army and if needed call a Heroic duel (at F8 he makes a mess of a lowly captain)

2) If i were you I would take some Osgiliath Vets. which are basically WoMT with S4, bows and are immune to courage tests this would counter the gap in your army, without the changes I suggest it would be very good at attacking in an open battlefield but if the aim of the game was to defend an objective they wouldn't fair so well given the high number of cavalry models and 3 strong formations of WOMT you are using. The Vets. unit is very versatile an can shoot at +3 if you need to but as they are still D7, S4 and immune to fear can go toe to toe with just about anybody just as well and at this points level there versatility will serve you well

I didn't take the 60pt version of the army of the dead, but the legendary formation. Any idea why they are cheaper?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:05 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Slythar wrote:

I like the idea of an army trying to do a bit of everything but you would be hard pressed to do so.

Epic Heroes
Faramir
Isuldir

Common Formations
4x WoMT
4x WoMT
3x KoMT no shields
3x AoMT

Rare Formations
3x KoDA
2x WotD w/Captain

Legendary Formations
Beechbone

A couple Epic Hero's to move around is better than one. With such an army you'll be wanting to pull off Heroic Fights with multiple formations to maximize the effectiveness of your more expensive units. If you are doubling up your attacks with overcosted units then its not overcosted anymore since they are hitting twice.

Reduced the amount you spent on Ghosts. They are overcosted so just the bare minimum to move them into position and do their spirit damage. You can make them worthwhile in the right situations so that will be up to you. At the double is very important in WoTR (hense 2 Epic Hero's, adding a captain with the ghosts and the mighted Ent Beechbone)

The only thing missing is magic. You could just use a normal Ent and Thranduil for Beachbone/Isulidir/1c of Archers.

Faramir and Isuldor..? I prefer to just enjoy the game.....they are too far apart in time for me to do that. I like the other suggestions though, I will write more when I get a chance.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:07 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Ok then take Eomer instead of Isuldir.

The legendary cost per company has changed from 30 to 60. Its on the first page under court of the dead.

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_Cus ... ngv1_1.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:24 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
ElfGeneral wrote:
KOMT and KODA is 9 companies of cavalry in 1000 point force which is a bit much you could reduce the KOMT to 3 or 4 companies and some people think KODA are a bit overpriced (personally I know my elves die quickly when faced with there 'For Dol Amroth' rule so I think they are worth it) well

Saying SKoDA are better than Elves doesn't make them reasonably costed, it just means they aren't as awful. Whih is the truch, SKoDA are better than Elves but are still overcosted. It's like saying Corsairs of Umbar w/ shields are reasonable because you only play against Spectres.

I wasn't saying that Dol Amroth knights are good compared to elves I was just saying my elves die very quickly against unstoppable charges on a 4s rather than 6s as elves are the only army play I can't say how good they are against other armies but from personal experience I would say they were worth it.

If you don't want to take Eomer (as he is rohan) or Isildur (as he is well dead) you could take Prince Imrahil he costs more than Isildur and Faramir but has a good selection of Epic actions F7 which is equal to Aragorn plus he also has Inspiring Leader (Men) with Courage 6 which combined with Faramirs Inspiring Leader (Men) and Valour Unbound and possible some Osgiliath Vets would make your force fairly resistant to courage tests which is always helpful.

Lastly I still think you should take some Osgiliath Vets they are a little expensive but Cirions 3 might and being resistant to Terror among there other advantages namely S4 and bows make them a versatile unit and as I said before at this level the ability to switch between roles gives you a flexibility other armies won't have
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:58 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Slythar wrote:
Ok then take Eomer instead of Isuldir.

The legendary cost per company has changed from 30 to 60. Its on the first page under court of the dead.

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_Cus ... ngv1_1.pdf

thank you for this link...I didn't know this was available
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:04 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Slythar wrote:

Epic Heroes
Faramir
Isuldir

Common Formations
4x WoMT
4x WoMT
3x KoMT no shields
3x AoMT

Rare Formations
3x KoDA
2x WotD w/Captain

Legendary Formations
Beechbone

I would drop Isildur and Beechbone for Boromir and another company somewhere, just to have some sort of theme.

:puppy:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:42 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

ElfGeneral wrote:
GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
ElfGeneral wrote:

I wasn't saying that Dol Amroth knights are good compared to elves I was just saying my elves die very quickly against unstoppable charges on a 4s rather than 6s as elves are the only army play I can't say how good they are against other armies but from personal experience I would say they were worth it.

They are not.

On a more positive note, lets look at Sylar's example list. Swap Isildur fo Boromir, and the SKoDA for WoMT or KoMT. And drop the AotD too, unless your hellbent on them, in which case, get Galadiel or Gandalf in there for Dismay magic. And Rangers are better than AoMT. Apart from that, good to go.