All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 8:20 am

Post subject: Charging dragons
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:57 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Could some please explain how a dragon charges, I know in the move phase it can fly over formations , building etc but can it do this in the charge phase also? Eg dragon is positioned in front of 6x formation of WOMT but behind them is a single Company of archers who are in charge range and a much easier target , but not in line of sight . Can the dragon simple fly/charge over the WOMT?.
 Post subject: Re: Charging dragons
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:16 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

You have to have line of sight to charge that company. If you don't, you won't be able to fly over like that. If you could then I guess you'd be charging company behind, then heroic-combatting into the rear of the front company... dream on ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:47 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

You could however fly over on your move phase and then land near the archers then charge them in the charge phase.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:46 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks guys that helps me understand why I've been getting beat so bad everytime I play against my opponents dragon, think he needs to read this , then nullify all his victories :x
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:45 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

No your wrong a dragon can charge over the top of other formations. Read the box on page 43 it says "Flying monsters can ignore other formations and terrain features when they charge, just as they can when they move"

Notice it says ignore, and can charge like it can move? So in my mind that's very clear. Sorry DocDeath but your opponent can do that.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:59 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I remember that moment in the game Mr Death, however if I remember my charge stalled anyway so it's a moot point, but also the position the dragon was in the game, he could see the corner of the company of archers, but would still need to fly over the formation in front slightly, and as NLJT just said, the box on page 43 states that you just ignore formations and terrain and simply fly over them in the charge. However as you always get mad and drink so much I will always submit victory to you! Just don shout at me.... :sad:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:31 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yes, he can ignore formations when charging. But he has to have a clear line of sight to the target before he can declare a charge against that target. Simple, you can't charge against an enemy who you can't see.

If your opponent could see the formation however, then it is fine to charge.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:54 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Yes he has to see the target. But you only need to see the corner of it, not the whole formation. The way the others were talking was as if you could never fly over a formation to attack another when you clearly can.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:08 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The rule in Question is "Attack of the Flying Monster" on pg. 43
Quote:
Flying monsters can ignore other formations and terrain features when they charge, just as they can when they move, providing that they don't end their move on top of another formation or terrain feature.

So ignore means what exactly? If you could completed ignore the WoMT could you charge? Hell ya.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:57 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Slythar wrote:
The rule in Question is "Attack of the Flying Monster" on pg. 43
Quote:
Flying monsters can ignore other formations and terrain features when they charge, just as they can when they move, providing that they don't end their move on top of another formation or terrain feature.

So ignore means what exactly? If you could completed ignore the WoMT could you charge? Hell ya.

It means exactly the same thing it means when the dragon moves, that the movement (or charge in this case) can pass over other formations. It does not change any of the rules for when you may declare a charge however. But if you can see the targets, but can't reach them without going through another formation,the dragon can still charge when other formations wouldn't.

Examples I can think of are, like they mentioned, seeing a corner of the target around an intervening formation or if the dragon were on an elevated position so that intervening models didn't block LoS.

Of course, flying monsters SHOULD be considered elevated positions in and of themselves, like the mumak.