All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 10:31 pm

Post subject: My tournament results ?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:45 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hey guys first game down for my wotr tournament here in australia, and i won. was great fun. the person who i vs was about 25 years old or so, but the rest of the guys are noobs and very young, and not to be cocky but i can tell that i have already vs the hardest player.

so quick bat rep, I vs isenguard

aragorn with 4 companies of knights sweeped my right flank, aragorns company got +3 to wound everything, so all i ever needed was a 3 to wound heavly armoured urak hai,. Then he charged lurtzs formation of 4 companies of scouts with shields in thier rear( becuase last fight, he got disorder, so could not move or charge, so i took advantage and went behind him). and aragorn duel lurtz, and put him to the sword, much like in the films :D.

galadreil stayed back with her 6 companies of warriors, calling epic defense whenever the fight phase came, and casting spells in the movment phase, they were very tough, and my opponent only killed a company worth throw the course of the game.

My avenger botl throwers served me very well, assisting in killing a troll and taking out a full formation of wargs( 3 companies) . the bolt throwers were apparently very threatening to my opponent as he was targeting them everyturn with his billista, which seemed like a tactical mistake on his part becasue, there was a nice juciy 6 company formation of warriors he could have shot, so the avengers realy help draw fire into away from my more prescious fromation such as aragorns formation of death.

sorry that was very breif, but i dont think it would be appropiate to go through every turn, without pictures, so perhaps ill take some pictures next game, thanks for listening guys.

Post subject: Re: My tournament results ?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:41 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Very well played. Splitting Aragorn and Galadriel across two different formations was what it seemed like you were planning and why I was cautioning you on Galdriel being dueled. Glad to see Aragorn took Lurtz out before the Uruk tried going after her. Those knights did a great job.

The bolt throwers drawing off the Uruk billista was a lucky break and I agree it was an error on the part of your opponent. I would suggest he should have been shooting that at the knights every turn. It sounds like you used your bolt throwers well getting rid of the Troll (monsters can be a big hazard to Cav in WotR) and their Cav.

What spells did you find most often used by Galadriel?

Good luck with your follow-up games. Even though you may have tackled the strongest competition don't take any of the coming games for granted. Especially considering that players talk and future opponents will likely know much of how you won in previous games and the composition of your force and will start considering options. You may find putting Aragorn and Galadriel together in the warriors to be a valid change, for example.

Keep us posted!!

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:01 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

thanks man, i will make sure i will stay cautious of other players and not to get over confident that was a good point, otherwise cokyness leads to defeat.

I dont use spells in wotr often, and arent fluent with it yet, but the game gave me some good practise. Galadreil cast "light of valar" on a single company of wargs, reducing their courage by 1. she then cast "sunder spirit" which had an identical effect for a total of -2 courage. for her last spell she succsesfully cast vision of woe, forcing the enemy to take a courage test with a -2 or suffer a number of automatic hits the test was failed by, so it was a -4 to their courage. the wargs rolled dobble ones for a total of 5, but with the -4 it went down to 1, so visions of woe casue 9 automatic hits on the single company and were removed.

So the combo of light of valar( focus 2) and then sunder spirit ( focus 3) and finally vision of woe( focus 3) seemed to work great for the first time using it especillay when vs the forces of evil.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:09 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yep. That's a good combo, and congrats on pulling off the Focus rolls. That bites me some times (if Gandalf was as much of a spell looser in the books as he is in some of my games he wouldn't be known for anything except his fireworks)

http://TacticsInMiniature.com