All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 11:35 am

Post subject: Galadreil cheese.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:11 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

That tourney is coming up in a few days( cant wait )and im trying to make a list that is cheesy but still unexpected.

Firstly has anyone noticed that galadreil in her sane form (not her crazy mental one) has the rule "touched by destiny". Which allows you to call one epic action per turn for free. Galdreil has 3 epics, epic defense, epic Renewal and epic channelling, IMP some pretty nice epics there, non of which are disapointing. This is great as it means even when your out of might you can still support your army in a good way. however what if you had borimir in the same army and he lost all his might points. You could use galadreils epic renewal from the touched by destiny special rule, and boromir now has 1 might point. The great thing is galadreil doesnt loose that might point like she usual would becasue of touched by destiny.

I also plan on using the desperate heroics fortune. one hero with at least one might point immediatly losses that might but can immediatly restore another heros might back to its starting value, withing 12". so boromirs might can be restored back to its starting 6 might, when galadreil gets down to just one might left. But becasue galadreil has touch by destiny she is still useful and can call the cheesy epic renewal for boromir once the next 6 might have gone.

All this might comes at a cost. Boromir and galadreil each cost 175, with desperate heriocs of 50 pts thats 400 points spent on a 750 point list, which is realy crazy, but im gonna give it a go.

what do you think pretty cheesy with the might aye?

Post subject: Re: Galadreil cheese.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:03 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Cheesy, but when someone brings Betrayer, Khamul, Gorgoroth Horde, or Corsair Arbalester spam, or the Elven Pinwheel of Death, or Mordor Royal Airforce (maybe not at 750 pts), your lack of troops is going to cost you dearly.

:puppy:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:30 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I would skip Boromir, keep Galadriel and bring in Celeborn. You get better combat abilities, more magic, doesn't cost as much, I think, and you can have them both without your opponent complaining that you're being a jerk with that list. Since he doesn't have as much might as Boromir, I would also leave out the Desperate Heroics.

Last edited by Draugluin on Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:32 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

All of this does depend on which army you're using, this suggestion is supposing that you're going with elves. If you want to use a Gondor army, Gandalf has basically the same abilities as Galadriel, but also has some other uses. He costs more, but you're opponent won't complain as much, because it's a bit less cheesy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:11 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I personally find the combat version of Galadriel to be more effective for me in WotR (and SBG). Her F10 is an "always on" Epic Strike. It gives a lot of benefit to her formation in combat and makes her a great dueler (you don't need to waste Might calling an ES if nothing else). As mentioned above Gandalf has most of the same benefits you mention and I find him a little more well rounded (though at a valid price increase).

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:29 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Beowulf03809 wrote:
I personally find the combat version of Galadriel to be more effective for me in WotR (and SBG). Her F10 is an "always on" Epic Strike. It gives a lot of benefit to her formation in combat and makes her a great dueler (you don't need to waste Might calling an ES if nothing else). As mentioned above Gandalf has most of the same benefits you mention and I find him a little more well rounded (though at a valid price increase).

I'd say (though not yet from experience) that the magic version is better. Epic defence is great on Galadhrim with shields or High elf Regiments, and you can do it for free. Add in the magic, and both the other Epic actions, and the fact that she's 25 pts (half a coy) cheaper, and you get someone who's better, though requires a bit more thinking (move her out when your meeting Thrydan), and has more tricks than just sheer agressiveness.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:43 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I guess because I almost always have Gandalf in my large WE armies I don't consider it as much of a "loss". He also has Epic Defense for free and his unique Blinding Light spell is fantastic for supporting the Wood Elf armies.

I often team Galadriel (combat version) up in a formation of Sentinels with Legolas. When you do have to get into combat, his Swift Strike, combined with her Epic Rage (D3...who cares...we're already D3!) and high Fight (let Gandalf Blinding Light the enemy formation in advance for max effect of this) are one of the best ways a Wood Elf force can reasonably dish out decent damage in melee without being slaughtered in return.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:02 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Beowulf03809 wrote:
I guess because I almost always have Gandalf in my large WE armies I don't consider it as much of a "loss". He also has Epic Defense for free and his unique Blinding Light spell is fantastic for supporting the Wood Elf armies.

I often team Galadriel (combat version) up in a formation of Sentinels with Legolas. When you do have to get into combat, his Swift Strike, combined with her Epic Rage (D3...who cares...we're already D3!) and high Fight (let Gandalf Blinding Light the enemy formation in advance for max effect of this) are one of the best ways a Wood Elf force can reasonably dish out decent damage in melee without being slaughtered in return.

I see, that makes a right and proper evil combo. However, that's already over 750 pts, so in this list, I still think the other version is better.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:32 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sorry...I agree. At lower points you need to maximize. Galadriel (spell version) is a safe and solid stone in an Elf army. I would just pair her up with another major Elf Epic than Boromir just for theme purposes but also effectiveness.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:12 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Like Celeborn.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:10 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

soz guys i should have been more specific with my army, im running a gondor list at 750 points, meaning i can only have about 187 points of allies ( decree of allies rule, 1/4 of army on allies) so i cant have anyone else other than galadreil. my army list has change now,

Aragorn 200 pts

Galadreil 175 pts

4 coys of knights with shields 120 pts

6 coys of warriors 150 pts

avenger bolt thrower 50 pts

avenger bolt thrower 50 pts

total 745 pts.

galadreil will be fighting with the warriors, epic defnsing as much as possible, for a defnse 9. by the way the tournament starts tommorow lol.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Good luck and have fun!!! Just hope no one duels her with Epic Strike. :-) Let us know how things went when you can.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:42 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

That's what her grandson-in-law is for, protecting her!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:01 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

A "bodyguard" isn't always effective, but of all the possible deterrents he's probably the best.