All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 3:17 am

Post subject: Re: Sculpting an Ent WIP
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:03 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Great work on the Ent and Dragon. I can't wait to see your other Ents and the progress on the Dragon.

Regarding the Dark Elves as BNs, wonderful idea and very affordable in contrast. The oversized swords are my only criticism but that nothing to do with your work...it's typical GW flair. If you have a mold of one of the standard BN (or even Castellan) swords and swapped them it would look better IMHO, but it would add significantly to your work. I like the shield efforts!

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:01 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Very nice work on all the above minis.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:54 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

This model of the dragon is very useful with just a little effort. I recall doing something similar with mine in my own WIP thread. Lookin forward to seeing how it progresses.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:32 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks guys :-D The Dragon from the North is coming along, not much colour in him now, tried working in some Liche Purple but it turned funky looking, something out of Chinese New Year! He's as pale as a ghost... dragon now, think the Fire inside him has long gone out.

Beowulf - I agree about the swords, a Castellan sword sounds groovy! Might be a pain casting ten of those though one at a time :shock: I'll try hacking at the current ones to make them smaller and ancient looking.

A quick update, on one of my favourite projects on the go right now, can picture working on this right through Christmas! The link in my sig takes you to a WIP thread for the Southern Fiefdoms. Looking to cover all the characters that were around for the Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

Golasgil & 5 Langstrand Guards

Foutain Court Guard without the fancy wing details. The helms have had their wings chopped off (although keeping them for later :wink: ). Head swap for Golasgil using Isildir. He has a nicely detailed helm, which sets him apart from the group. All this means I have a spare Isildur body, Arvedui head, some spears and 10 helmets details! :?

Does the Arvedui conversion fit in with the rest of 'the Household'? I plan on adding swords and shields to these guys

I'm now flirting with the idea of converting Warriors of Lebennin from the plastic Gondor sprues. Really appreciate some views on these and I'm taking any ideas into consideration so please post anything that comes to mind! I don't mind converting non-GW models, we already have some Crusader Miniatures :)

The profiles will be posted later this evening.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:20 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Interesting project, I hope they turn out well :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:30 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

One thing to keep in mind when attaching the new heads to the bodies is to give the model a bit of a neck or it will look out of place. What I find works is to add a high collar or build up the cloak where the neck would be. Hope this helps and looking forward to seeing these completed! :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:17 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Looking good Jack. As for Arvedui, he looks similar enough to fit with the rest of the household from what I can see.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:49 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks guys,

Bilbo - took your advice onboard and have given him a neck, he's pretty tall compared to most of the LOTR range now, but he does have a slightly raised base :)

I''ve posted the link to the profiles in the Southern Fiefdoms thread however as this WIP tends to get more comments I'll repost here too.

I have the profiles complete, we've pretty much taken care of any spelling errors although if you do spot one please let me know. I haven't completed all the descriptions yet, but all the special rules and wargear has been sorted. Here's the direct link, which can also be accessed on my little corner of the Interweb

http://attachments.wetpaintserv.us/g-_V ... RVRw571601

It is to scale with most GW LOTR documents so you can print out at 100%, no need to reduce page sizes etc. Also change print properties to 'grayscale' rather than 'colour' if you don't want to waste your colour ink cartridge in one! :wink:

Hope you enjoy reading through! Let me know if you'd change anything, as this is for the entire gaming community.