All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 4:29 pm

Post subject: Size's
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:43 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

What is the typical points size of the games you play at? I'm guessing its somewhere around 1,000 - 2,000 points? Just wondered what most people tend to play at, how long your games tend to last and the pro's and cons to different point levels?
Cheers everyone
 Post subject: Re: Size's
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:54 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

We used to play as 2 larger team, each team being between 2000 and 5000 points strong. Individual players had anywhere from 1000-3000 points on the board. Because of that it usually took a good three, maybe four, hours to play. Usually we ended due to lack of time instead of actually finishing a battle, though our Battle of the Pelagir finished beautifully after three turns with the Evil army losing over 3/4 of their force and we had just enough time to play that game for the day. :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:55 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I would say our local players typically play with 2000 point armies. A lot of times they go in for big team games and then it is likely to be 1500-2000 per player, with maybe one or two guys with large collections picking up the difference.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:26 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

How long does a2000 point game usually take? We tend to play a 1000-1200 point game but would like to try larger games, but the others think the games will last too long and lose some tactical thinking. What do you think?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:44 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I really don't know how long a game takes, a few hours for 2000 points I think, but as for tactical thinking, I think that is more a function of the size of the battlefield rather than the point level. A 3000 point game on a 6'x4' is going to be "line up and move forward until you are fighting the enemy" while on a 8'-10'x6' playing area that same 3000 points is going to get a lot more tactical.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:09 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

It depends on the army and your opponent always. I played a variety of 1500 point games last week aaginst 5 different opponents. games ranged from 45 minutes to over 2.5 Hours. depends how 'cagey' the play gets especially in 'sieze the prize' scenarios. but about 2 hours for 1500 and 3 for 2000 points...

I find that the more spellcasters... the slower things get in resolving their actions each turn.

Taking the War in Middle earth to a new level!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:50 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

A 2000 point game.... no more than 2-3 hours. Like ForgottenLore said, battlefield size, deployment type and style of army has a significant impact on the tactical thinking. Bigger table means more tactical manuvering as well as more careful choice of deployment. Maelstrom of Battle requires more flexible tactics than Shieldwalls while Battle of the Pass means careful consideration about maximizing (or minimizing) number of turns shooting. An army that is spellcaster-heavy tends to take a while to play as daersalon mentioned (one realizes this after waiting for several minutes each turn for the magic casting to stop). I could write a paper on how composition of armies determines depth of tactical thinking but I'm going to spare us all and end my input there.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:56 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Lately its been 1500 points. I play at my local games shop every Friday night and a game usually takes about 4 hours. That includes table set-up, making lists, put the figs in the trays, a few drinks and tear down at the end of the night. There is always someone not prepared so the people that are ready assume they go first, roll for either Shieldwalls or Battle for the Pass and deploy. When thats done usually the list is ready and we help fill the trays to get going.

I store my army ready to go in their trays so I just throw them on the table in minutes.

I'll just give the pro's and con's to lesser point games.

The pro's to less points are everybody has that many points to field without getting silly with Hero's. Its easier to put on a 2vs2 match. Its easier to learn the game with less points. Less set-up time. Its easier to keep track of proxies, might, what your opponent has.

The con's to less are you can't ally expensive units like the Dragon. The flow of the game is slower since there is more maneuvering. Might is a premium. You can't take too much fluff or overpriced units. Its harder to make a comeback once your down. Ringwraith and Druzag reign supreme in lower points games.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:19 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

At the minute we play 1200 games which take about 4 hours but this does include a lot of arguing and trash talk
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:19 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I normally play at up to 2,000ots, in my local GW and it can last between 1 hour and 4 hours including tedious set-up time (I pack up while playing. as a model is removed as a casualty, it goes back in the case)

If noone has a 2,000pt army, then I pklay against 2 peoples 1,00pt armies at the same time, and give them a few minutes to discuss tactics beforehand.