All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 4:21 am

Post subject: What WOTR army would you recommend?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:14 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Gday gents.

Can you help me choose a WOTR army to collect.

I will help you to help me;

I am not interested in in the following:
Mordor, dwarves( I have two friends with dwarves and dont fancy dwarven civil wars every game we have) and agmar(just because...?)

I am interested in:
Rohan, Elves, fallen realms, isengard and moria

I am very keen on(meaning that i am considering most)

Gondor.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: What WOTR army would you recommend?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:31 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

That question is just too broad. What are you interested in?

Do you want to know what would be a good competitive army?
Which army has be best modelling/painting opportunities?
Which army is cheapest to collect?
Which army best matches your play style? (Need to know your play style)
Which army has the coolest models?

Need to know your criteria in order to recommend a good match.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:00 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thats a good point.

Painting wise i dont realy mind.

I have no interest in conversions either.

Generally i think all armies look kool when painted consistently , so that doesnt matter much.

I want to have cavalry in my army and i want good missle troops. I also want an army with very decent base troops. just like the soldiers of gondor. Magic i dont realy care for, although it be an idea.

I am an orthadox type player doing what most would, shooting at big things like trolls, charging cav into vunerable troops and having my main solid troop choice defending the missle troops while holding their own.

As you can see this is why i mentioned Gondor to be a poteintail army as it fits all this nicely, dol amroth for cav, rangers for missle and soldiers of gondor for bog standerd troops with respectable defence stat.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:24 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Then yeah, either Gondor or Fallen Realms. Gondor you already seem to have a handle on.

Fallen Realms have Easterlings which are a very good troops choice. Pikemen with shields are just annoying as all get out for your opponent. Kataphracs and Morgul Knights are good solid cavalry choices. So I would go with either of those, and you seem to be leaning toward Gondor so...
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:02 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I have a handle on gondor becuase, i have played about 5 games with them, i just want to start a new fresh army with new paint job, etc.

But ok ill give fallen realms some thought too thanks

If anyone else has any advice on other armies please comment

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:16 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Which army, which army? As outlined above the reasons to make any faction are many and varied. I wanted to make Rohan army for example and ended up with a 2000 point Isengard list, just because I started painting 3 companies to make a viable opponent for my Horselords...

But to give some general ideas and pointers:

Gondor: A good solid choice for sure, and very popular. They have 2 artillery choices a couple of cavalry choices, a wide selection of epic heroes and legendary formations. If you need magic, then allying in Gandalf or radagast from Forgotten Kingdoms is simple enough. You can 'focus' too, on a subset easily, for example taking a list mainly focussing on Dol Amroth, Or warriors of the tower led by Boromir, Or an allied support force of the fiefdoms, (lamedon, Blackroot vale etc), or even a force based on the Kingdom of Arnor. (It would look cool) At GamesDay in October in the WotR 'hero of the west' mini tournament I fought a Gondor player with a 1500 point list of mainly Rangers, and the Grey Company, and bulked out with formations of WoMT (Basically an expeditionary force into Ithilien effectively).

Rohan: This can look very cool fielded. There are fewer 'options' in terms of thematic armies, and if you want any artillery or magic they have to be allied in. But the point of Rohan is of course cavalry, they have plenty of this and so many common choices and only 1 rare choice the decree of rarity doesnt bother the Rohan player. They also have I think the largest selection of Epic heroes too. With this army how you use you epic heroes and cavalry is the key. It does mean you need to assemble/paint fewer models to make up a large points force...

Elves: Ah these look and sound as if they are cool. They certainly look cool, and thematic choices... Wood elves, high elves, Galadhrim. However, the troops in general are overpriced. This doesn't mean there aren't good and effective Elf armies, just they are a lot harder to make and use effectively, unlike Gondor or Mordor, they aren't very 'pont-and-click', meaning you have to play them right and if you don't you can easily get overwhelmed. My biggest loss ever was with a rapidly concocted elf list where my elf force was wiped out to an elf by a Morannon based Mordor list, and I killed only 5 orcs, and in reverse my biggest margins of victory have always been against elves. (though I have lost to them)

Fallen Realms: was discussed above. I think the Haradrim *almost* had enough troop choices to make a faction on their own.

Isengard: If Rohan is cavalry, Isengard is infantry. The warg riders are a cheap cavalry unit, and must be viewed as that... disposable almost. Otherwise there is plenty to choose from here, Magic (Saruman) Artillery (Ballista) along with the infantry and one cavalry and one monster (troll). means you have all the possible offensive tools in your arsenal without allying in help, though the core will be heavy slogging foot-soldiers. Again as with Rohan, not much variety in flavour, but you do get options in what kind of infantry eg Heavy Uruks (warband/phalanx), Uruk Scouts, and of course Orcs. (others such as ruffians and dunlendings are available too). The epic heroes though are limited to the expensive (Saruman Lurtz) to the insanely cheap (Thryden), and Grima (...) You mentioned wanting good archery units, well with Isengard you have a variety of 'long range' attacks: Saruman with spells of Ruin, The assault ballista, Uruk-Hai with crossbows (strength 4!), Scouts with bows, or orcs with bows.

Moria. The key of Misty Mountains (to use the correct faction name in WotR though we all know it's Moria really) is lots of cheap disposable infantry and big heavy hitting monsters. Blackshields are very good, but expensive financially to build an army around. I helped my son make his Misty Mountaisn list and preparing, and painting 150 l'il goblins was an exercise in patience ....Misty can be sometimes harder to play, but nothing like the elves, and its easier to settle on troops and tactics that fit your 'style'. So misty have cheap but weak infantry, ONLY TWO (though underpriced) epic heroes, and a large selection of monsters to complement the hordes. Druzhag and the Balrog or a magic wielding Dragon means spells of ruin are flying about and.. well a lot of fun can be had here. It can be abused like anything, at GamesDay the player representating a neighbouring GW store took two magic wielding dragons as the core of his army... Cheeze anyone? But sying that the MM goblin battlehost is very effective, with both Druzhag and Durbuz summoning more troops each turn, the enemy really will feel overwhelmed and has to keep formations protecting any vulnerable archers or artillery at the rear... Don't forget goblins have move 8, pathfindermaster, so with a drum and a succesful At The Double! They can cover 18 inches a turn, ignoring defensive or dificult terrain penalties. While the cheap goblins engage the enemy and die a lot (they are meant to) the monsters and specials are free to move up and turn the tide.

Ultimately its personal choice and combat style and money available. Again, if you like Gondor and feel an affinity.. you won't be making a wrong choice.

Taking the War in Middle earth to a new level!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:42 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Wow. thank you daersalon for that most extensive and helpful reply, that has given me alot to think about.

.[quote="daersalon"]for example taking a list mainly focussing on Dol Amroth, Or warriors of the tower led by Boromir, Or an allied support force of the fiefdoms, (lamedon, Blackroot vale etc), or even a force based on the Kingdom of Arnor. (It would look cool) At GamesDay in October in the WotR 'hero of the west' mini tournament I fought a Gondor player with a 1500 point list of mainly Rangers, and the Grey Company, and bulked out with formations of WoMT (Basically an expeditionary force into Ithilien effectively)..[quote="daersalon"].

Yes i was actualy thinking going all dol amroth force since they are common choices, but i dont want to do that at the moment. I think i might get the arnor legendary choice with melbeth and the arnor king. The formation isnt too special just nice for some narrative imagination that a small arnor force has come to aid the main formations of gondor soldiers and with a respectable defence and fight value and that interesting foresight rule, i think i will buy some dudes.

Well i might go gondor. the only thing is the gondor soldier box set just seems out dated, old and the models seem a little small. but based and painted consistently, they should look nice.

Once again thanks for the advie, feel free to keep the thread going anyone.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:39 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I would love to see a Rohan army. I have never seen one played ever! Maybe because everyone says they are soooooo hard to play. Is there anyone here who does play a Rohan force?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:47 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I did, but only when WOTR was very new and i wasnt good with the rules. rohan struglle becasue they realy dont have appropiate special rules. I mean expert rider in my opinion is just a waste of time, cav with bows is so ineffective anyway. What rohan need is like a balanced but appropiate special rule for their cav.

When ever i played i didnt do so well with them. But i might still start one in the future.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:50 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Is there any decent battle hosts for the Rohan army?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:25 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hi I'm an Ent, if you prefer Gondor then I suggest getting it. It stands out in terms of being an army filled with excellent common choices and the list has plenty of variety and heroes.

It doesn't hurt that it would easily be the stronger of the good lists either. It has its limitations though and my one comment after playing this list for a long time is that it can 'take it but not dish it'. It is a list of solid basic stuff that is very durable but it is your hero choice that will make it gel.

I think your original idea to focus on WoMT and Rangers is good (though bow is a bit limited vs high-def targets) but I'd suggest that Knights of Dol Amroth are too overcosted to lean heavily on and that if you delve down into the statline the normal knights do almost as much for half or just over half the cost. IMO Gondor artillery is rubbish but I suppose a trebuchet could be a laugh for larger games just as something to shoot at that Mumak that seems to have been breeding widely and getting acclimated to all manner of new habitats.

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:28 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

NotLegolasJustTipsy wrote:
I would love to see a Rohan army. I have never seen one played ever! Maybe because everyone says they are soooooo hard to play. Is there anyone here who does play a Rohan force?

Rohan is my primary army for WotR and SBG. They can be difficult to play, yes, but with time one does learn to use them with better results. Theoden's Guard and Riders of the Westfold have played the best for me so far. The Earth-Shaking Charge of a 6C strong unit of the King's Guard is a good follow up blow to an epic charge. I think Beowulf0839 also played Rohan at one point in time.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:07 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Rohan is my primary army for WotR and SBG. They can be difficult to play, yes, but with time one does learn to use them with better results. Theoden's Guard and Riders of the Westfold have played the best for me so far. The Earth-Shaking Charge of a 6C strong unit of the King's Guard is a good follow up blow to an epic charge. I think Beowulf0839 also played Rohan at one point in time.[/quote]

What would you suggest to collect in terms of a Rohan army for WOTR playing from a 1000 point army to 1500 army? Would love to collect a Rohan army so what would you suggest?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:47 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Rohan 1000pt to 2000pt army....

I would recommend getting Rohan Royal Knights/The King's Guard w/ Royal Standard. With a Epic like Theoden or Theodred in there, they will hit hard on a successful charge. However, Rohan Royal Knights are expensive to get in any serious numbers unless you proxy them.

Therefore I'm going to recommend getting a few boxes of Riders of Rohan and build several four company strong formations w/ heroes (or Epic Heroes). Take the Riders of the Westfold Battlehost and then get a few boxes of WoR to create a few Oathsworn Militia formations which can either pin the enemy in place or push enemies out of defensive terrain. One box of Riders will give you three companies while a box of WoR will give you three companies of Oathsworn Militia. Also, use plenty of Epic Heroes with Rohan. Theoden, Theodred, Erkenbrand and Eomer are well worth their points and Deorwine, if used right, can be just as useful. A key thing to remember with Rohan is to get the charge, especially with an Epic Charge and never ever let the enemy charge your cavalry first. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:41 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Since you have two friends that play Dwarves I would get Moria personally. You'll likely want your own table and its kinda cool to have them battle it out under the mountains.

Collect Gondor on the side. Warriors of Minas Tirith I would dare say is the most plentiful you'll find second hand so just be patient and you'll eventually have a mass Gondor army for not very much. My entire Gondor army I never paid more than a third list price without taxes. And half of them will be painted too which saves even more time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:42 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

funny you say that about collecting gondor on the side. I was thinking that. I want to start my army around december the 1st and i still have no idea. But yes i was thinking of moria, but not sure i like the fluff. And also i like to collect an army i can relate with, for example i collect black templar marines( humans) and so i think i want to collect gondor, juts love their amour and clothing. but at the same time dragons are awsome. im not even sure i would have my mind made up by decembe the 1st. though if new models are released it may influence my descion, like if they release a stone giant or the dragon in finecast, then i may go goblins, or if they release the wardens of the key (oh God willing!!) or dol amroth on foot, then no dougt i would go men.

(lol they better not realse kool things for all armies at once :shock: i wont know what to do)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:56 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

And thanks all for your replies and comments i have read them all and am going through WOTR rule book now.

More advice welcome