All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 8:29 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Misty mountains
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:04 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

ForgottenLore wrote:
I like Warg Chieftans and pretty much always include them in my Warg formations. It actually may be that none of my opponents quite realize they are heroes with might that can be dueled since they aren't a "person", I don't know, but I have never had a problem with my chieftains getting dueled.

My WE Captains enjoy dueling Warg Chiefs. 8)

ForgottenLore wrote:
As for Spiders vs Wargs, I buy Wargs for my list and then use Druzhag to summon spiders. They are both good units (and as has been mentioned, the Chieftain is totally cool looking), each with pros and cons, so I choose to actually pay the points for the cheap ones and summon the expensive ones for free.

Agreed! The additional bonus is that the Spiders are usually a popular target for early ranged fire and this keeps them "safe" until you're close enough to spring a fast, deadly Prowler right on an enemy's rump. :shock:

ForgottenLore wrote:
I have a hard time including ally Epic Heroes in my lists because none of them feel sufficiently fluffy. If that isn't an issue, then yeah, Thryden and ringwraiths are cost-effective heroes.

I'd be disappointed to see such an Epic in a MM force just because I don't think they are appropriate. Yes, JRRT-flavor is very important to me, as long as you can remain competitive. If you're in a tournament-level game then all gloves are off. But other than that, leave the Nazgul at home. A couple Shamen could be brought along if you want, but the Balrog, Dragon (upgraded) and Druzhag can already put down a lot of magical punch.

ForgottenLore wrote:
Another use is in the Seize the Prize objective. Because a lone monster can't loose a fight unless it is killed outright, and EHtK monsters are so durable, a Stone Giant can be used to steal objectives from enemy formations. Charge a formation that has some prize counters, trust that the EHtK giant will survive the counter attack, then he wins the combat and steals the prize counters. Then have Durburz overlord a heroic move with him and get out of danger.

You rock. :yay: I did similar with Gwahir. Unfortunately he wasn't as durable and was caught and killed the following turn by a bunch of Easterlings w/ a Nazgul casting WoT. :(

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:43 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Beowulf03809 wrote:
You rock. :yay: I did similar with Gwahir. Unfortunately he wasn't as durable and was caught and killed the following turn by a bunch of Easterlings w/ a Nazgul casting WoT. :(

Yeah, it really requires a Extremely HtK monster for that trick to be reliable. I won a game that way once after being tabled of everything except the giant, who ended the game holed up in a tower with 13 wound counters on him when turn 8 ended. My opponent still had 3-4 companies of Easterling swordsmen with Khamul in them as well as a couple of other, heavily depleted formations, but when turn 8 ended the giant had 2 prize tokens, oh, I forgot I also still had 2 companies of Wargs who also had 2 prize tokens from the beginning of the game and were hiding way off on the other end of the board.

Quote:
With the Warg chieftain, what would you use his might on?

Honestly, his main use for me is to At the Double the Wargs. His might generally gets used for a late game heroic fight or to modify dice rolls when I know the formation is going to die that turn anyway so as to get in an extra hit or two.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:37 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

NotLegolasJustTipsy wrote:
So your saying don't convert them, just use them as normal goblins and learn to use my army with just goblins instead of Gundabads? By doing this my victory's will be even more sweet

Jeez, one million posts later, I'll answer: yes.

I've got to say, there are so many very good choices in the MM list that you might as well take the range of them.

Re: heroes and, uugh, 'fluff', aren't Druzhag and Durbuurz supposed to be mortal enemies rather than constant allies? And don't be knocking allied-Thrydan (though why for Goblins?) - he is the best and most reasonable hero for any list based around evil men in the North and West. That towering courage of 4! :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:44 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Xelee wrote:
Jeez, one million posts later, I'll answer: yes.

I hear ya. They managed to add a whole page in, like 15 minutes. I started to respond to a bunch of posts and by the time I finished typing I had another 20+ to read. :-D

Quote:
aren't Druzhag and Durbuurz supposed to be mortal enemies rather than constant allies?

Are they not just a couple of names GW made up? Is there any background on them at all? I thought they were just random characters GW made up because the list had to have SOME heroes.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:53 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I think there is some pretend-backstory (you know, as opposed to the totally not-pretend stuff by JRRT) to them in SBG and I seem to remember Hellfury did a Batrep based on it at some-stage.

The reason I don't know for certain is that I am not exactly going to collect GW based background materials for LOTR. Lots of people here seem to be into that kind of thing though, so hopefully someone indulges my curiosity.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:28 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I remember the BatRep, but I thought it was just some stuff he made up to explain a goblin on goblin battle.

On the other hand, I don't know anything about what has been said in various SBG books, so maybe your right.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:17 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Are spider broods any good? They seem expensive for such a poor defence
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:13 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Jazlotus wrote:

First, no...I don't think they are that useful. But interesting. Use them for what they are designed for. Ambushers. They are easily ignored by your enemy and you can leave them tucked away somewhere until you are ready. Then spring them for an extra few units needed somewhere, getting a rear charge in, etc. They also have SOME use due to their high defense vs. bow that you force an enemy to close and engage physically if they want to fight them.

Generally I'd put the points to something else unless you just want them for fun / completeness.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:08 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Jazlotus wrote:

You mean spider broodling swarms?

Like Beowulf said, may have some limited use but really too expensive for too little effect.

One possible use for them that I did think of was to grab a couple prize counters in Seize the Prize objectives and then run around avoiding everything and being basically immune to ranged attacks. That is being useful on probably less than 1/3 of games though.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:21 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

normal spiders are called spider broods in WOTR, are you sure you're not talking abou them?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:55 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yeah, my first thought was that he meant Giant Spider Broods, but those have already been discussed a fair amount in this thread, while Spider Broodling Swarms haven't even been mentioned I don't think.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:13 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

possibly, we'll have to wait and see. but Broodlings have defence 10 for shooting and his reference to low defence suggest otherwise.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:44 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

They are low defense in melee. Basically just step on them. 8) But the high ranged fire defense does give you near immunity to bows, as mentioned. Between that and ambush you can probably find something to do with them.

If you have the Spider Queen then you already have 1.5 Companies worth. For myself I just made a terrain base to represent the fourth model to fill out my second Company. I have been trying to figure out a way to make a bunch of little spiders or find a good toy (like those tiny plastic ants you see sometimes for pranks) so that I can put a lot of them on a couple bases to have a total of 4 Companies worth in my collection, but I don't think I'd ever deploy them larger than 2 Cos per Formation (just because it gives more variety on what terrain pieces they can be hidden in).

Maybe after playing some games with them I'll find a nice niche use. For now though I think they are just for the surprise rear-charge, distraction or hard-to-shoot pestering force.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:47 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Xelee wrote:
I think there is some pretend-backstory (you know, as opposed to the totally not-pretend stuff by JRRT) to them in SBG and I seem to remember Hellfury did a Batrep based on it at some-stage.

The reason I don't know for certain is that I am not exactly going to collect GW based background materials for LOTR. Lots of people here seem to be into that kind of thing though, so hopefully someone indulges my curiosity.

Druzhag got banished from Durburz's kingdom, then got a bunch of wild animals to follow him, thus the warg/spider/bat abilities. Tolkiens stuff is what I call canon LotR. Stuff from the movies, games and video games is pretend. Though some of it I support, just not when the pretend stuff is better than the canon stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:09 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks Draugluin, so suffice it to say that Durbuurz and Druzhag probably are not currently on speaking terms then!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:36 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I have seen them chatting together x
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:39 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Beowulf03809 wrote:
GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
Where's Durburz?

I'd put Durburz in with Druzhag or you're going to find your beastcaller dueled and dead before you know it.
Why does putting Durburz in the same formation as Druzhag stop my beast caller from getting Dueled?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:41 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

NotLegolasJustTipsy wrote:
I have seen them chatting together x

You must've mistaken Golfimbul for one of them :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:42 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

It can stop him getting killed because Durburz can attempt to duel the enemy hero before he can kill him.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:48 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

But that is about the same chance (ie 50/50 due to action order) as Epic Cowardice saving him anyway, isn't it?

And NotLegolasJustTipsy, I too have often seen them chatting together - in a lot of MM armies. Made up as they all are anyway (and GothmogtheWerewolf is right, who is this Durburz fellow anyway?) there is no reason why they can't be some other Orcs/Goblins and firmest of allies. I was just curous as to the background of those two.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next