All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Oct 04, 2024 3:21 pm

Post subject: Castellans or Spider Quuen
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:14 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I am not sure whether this should go in WOTR or Army Help, so chose this one.
I am planning a 4000pt Angmar army and I have a small ally space empty whch I first put a Spider Quuen in, but I wonder if Castellans would be a better choice. I've already got both sets of models. I know that Castellans, despite being 10 points less would probably be more effective, but I want the Quuen for better flanking capabilities as she can ATD and my allied overlord, Gothmog, is already working overtime helping Werewolves, Barrow-wights, Hill Trolls and Shades and does not have eough might to go around. Also, werewolves and wights perform a similar job even though Castellans are better at it.
I am leaning heavily towards a Spider Queen but if anyone could come up with a convinging reason to choose the other choice or to confirm my decision, your input would be invaluable. Thankyou.

Post subject: Re: Castellans or Spider Quuen
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:11 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

From my experience I would say go with the SQ for one reason only...speed. These are both mixes I've played (Angmar/Mordor allies in various combos are how I build my Dol Guldur army). I have a couple companies of Casteallans (I've used the Castellan models and Black Numenorian models to give variety to the formation) and when they get in combat they are awesome. They are solid, very survivable, deal terrific damage and the ability to Spirit Walk rocks. But in so many of my WotR games they are just left behind for the first few turns as they try to catch up. On a large, mobile battle field I've even had one game where my non-ATD formations never engaged at all unless my opponent chose to do so. That just doesn't make work.

If you have enough other non-ATD formations that the Castellans aren't left behind then give them a try. Otherwise stick with the SQ if you want something deadly and mobile on your vanguard.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
 Post subject: Re: Castellans or Spider Quuen
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:08 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Thank you Beowulf3809 for your advice. I'm glad I've goot advice from someone whose used Castellans. I think you've confirmed what I thought, I will use the Spider Quee, I do like the model too afterall and the pts value looks like one of the most ccurate.