All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Oct 04, 2024 9:18 pm

Post subject: VonKrieg's Charge of the Rohirrim Diorama WIP
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:28 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello All,

Some quick background, this is my first diorama and I am still very very new to painting. I have done some painting in the past, but I stopped for a while and now I am back. I am hoping to improve my painting and terrain skills.

This is my WIP for my first diorama and look forward to any comments, critiques and encouragement.

So, here is where I am so far.

--Inspiration--
This is the picture that is my inspiration for my diorama.

--Raw Materials--
These are my raw materials. Foam block from local craft store used in floral decorations. Sand and plinth from local craft store.

--My Miniatures--
Most of these miniatures are from "The Two Towers" box set. I had to strip most of them because I had painted them over 6 or 7 years ago. I used Simple Green, soaked them, and brushed them with a tooth brush. The only addition to that was Gandalf.

--Rough Mock-Up--
Did this rough mock-up to see roughly how many models I could get on to my diorama. About 4 Rohirrim, 8 Urak-hai, and Gandalf.

--Progress--
This is a progress shot. I used simple wood stain on my plinth. The terrain piece includes some rocks to add some variety to the ground. I tried to brush on the glue for the sand, but the foam is very soft and I couldn't get the glue to spread and the brush was tearing up the foam. I eventually used a spray adhesive and that worked great to put sand on my terrain.

--Terrain Basecoat--
This is my base coat on the terrain piece. I used flat black spray paint from local hardware store (the white spots are just from the light and the paint still drying).

--Terrain Highlights--
I added some paint to the terrain piece. I used scorched brown over the whole base and then drybrushed elf flesh. Having some difficulties on the stone/moutain piece. I'll have to do more work with it. I intend to also put some washes on the base once I have the Urak-hai attached to simulate more of a muddy terrain (it did rain alot during the battle).

More progress to come!

PS - CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO RESIZE PICTURES IN THE CODE! THANKS!

PPS - I have also posted this topic on The Last Alliance forum - http://www.thelastalliance.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3710&p=44487#p44487

Last edited by VonKrieg on Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:35 am, edited 5 times in total.
 Post subject: VonKrieg's Charge of the Rohirrim Diorama WIP - Urak-Hai Con
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:17 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello Everyone Again,

So, upcoming this time is also my first full conversion of a miniture. I am taking an Urak-Hai pikeman and moving the pike from his side to over his head. This requires alot of adjustments of his arms. This is my progress so far.

--Original--
This is the Urak-Hai Pikeman in his original form.

--Deconstruction--
This is the Urak-Hai Pikeman after I have hacked him up. I simply used a razor blade to do this (and yes, I did cut myself doing this).

--Rough Mock-Up--
And this is a rough mock-up of what I would like him to look like (and yes, he is missing a hand, just a rough layout to see how things come together).

--Reconstruction--
And the reconstruction using Green Stuff. IT IS ALIVE!

Thanks all!

More coming soon!

Last edited by VonKrieg on Tue May 31, 2011 11:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
 Post subject: Re: VonKrieg's Charge of the Rohirrim Diorama WIP
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:52 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The uruk's new pose is quite good so far. I like how he's looking down, away from the light, while still trying to do something with his pike, it fit very well with the scene in the movie. The rest of the diorama also looks pretty good so far. Keep it up.

P.S. How's the green stuff, that you used for the base, for terrain making? I've got some of it lying around and have been thinking of, though never actually getting around to, using them.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:45 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Nice diorama... I have seen on like this.
They had Gandalf in the air by gluing shadowfax's legs at the side of the pikes...

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:53 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Dwarf Lord of Ered Luin wrote:
P.S. How's the green stuff, that you used for the base, for terrain making? I've got some of it lying around and have been thinking of, though never actually getting around to, using them.

The foam I used is called a wet foam block and typically used in floral projects. I got it because it seemed to be the perfect size for plinth and was in a convenient block (so that I didn’t have to buy a 4'x8' sheet from the hardware store.) I found several advantages and disadvantage to this particular type of foam.

Advantages
-soft, easy to carve and manipulate. A simple saw and utility knife were all that was needed. Sandpaper was used to easily round corners and manipulate the shape.
-size, very convenient.

Disadvantages
-soft, too soft, if you even grip the foam too much, it starts to deform.
-soft, I tired apply the glue for the sand with a brush and simple tacky glue. The foam is so soft that the brush and glue were ripping the foam apart. I solved this by using a spray adhesive.
-absorbent, because it is a "wet block", it was probably meant to hold water. As a result, I found that I had to use several layers of spray paint on the material because it seemed to soak the paint up.
-fragile, the material is very fragile and will break apart easily if not handled carefully. It tends to leave a green powder everywhere (this was not a problem once it was painted, i even painted the bottom to try and contain the foam in a protective layer).

For my first diorama, the material was not bad to work with. But in the future, I would rather use something that is tougher and more resilient.
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:59 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Green stuff rules...
Can''t wait to see your diorama completed.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:17 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

This looks like an amazing project, keep it up! :)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:04 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Here is my test paint scheme for the Urak-Hai. Let me know what you all think!

ImageImage

I used the GW Stage-by-Stage as a guide.
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?catId=cat210006&categoryId=800006&section=&aId=12300002

1) I started with a flat black base coat.
2) Painted the skin with Dark Flesh. Painted the clothing, hair, and belts with Scorched Brown. Painted the armor with a mix of Basecoat Black and Chainmail.
3) Covered the entire model with Badab Black Wash.
4) Highlight the skin with Dark Flesh. Highlight the armor with Chainmail.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:08 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Loving that Uruk-Hai conversion. The painted Uruk-Hai looks great, maybe add a White Hand to the Helmet or Shield, unless your saving that honour for your heroes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:17 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I like this (though for a moment I thought you were doing the Pelennor Fields charge).

Of course, for the diorama to work, the sun has to be shining in the uruks eyes... :yay:

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:47 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Great, perfet! Exactly like GW... 8)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:39 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

nice work and good painting!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:45 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Just wondered if their is any new progress on this. For someone who says they are new to painting, that Uruk looks very good indeed. I am growing to love the GW washes as they can be used as a glaze with minimal hassle. I may have to steal your diorama idea as well!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:58 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Great paintjob and a great idea for a diorama.
I can't wait to see pictures from progress.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:17 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I thought I would respond to some of your comments. I really appreciate everyones comments! They help me keep my focus, give me great suggestions and help me to keep working on the project! Thanks to everyone!

Morgoths_crown wrote:
Just wondered if their is any new progress on this.

Hi Morgoths_crown! I am glad you are keeping up with my work. I was on vacation all last week, so no progress has been made. However, I am back and have several open weekends coming my way. So look for more progress to be made!

Morgoths_crown wrote:
For someone who says they are new to painting, that Uruk looks very good indeed. I am growing to love the GW washes as they can be used as a glaze with minimal hassle.

Thanks for the compliment. I just tried to do alot of research ahead of time and learned to take my time. And I agree with you, WASHES ARE GREAT!

Dorthonion wrote:
Of course, for the diorama to work, the sun has to be shining in the uruks eyes...

I am trying to come up with some ways to maybe simulate that with my painting and shadows. Will have to run some tests to see how it will turn out. In the mean time, ANY suggestions would be welcomed!

Chris GoM wrote:
Loving that Uruk-Hai conversion. The painted Uruk-Hai looks great, maybe add a White Hand to the Helmet or Shield, unless your saving that honour for your heroes.

Thanks Chris, I really like the conversion too. It is one of my favorites pieces in the diorama due to the nice conversion. Just trying to get some variety in there; I don't want all of them looking "cookie-cutter." And you are right about the White Hand. I actually had forgotten that little detail. I will have to look at some pictures and such to try to get that detail correct. Thanks!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:15 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Still looking forward to this! Here is a link to some inspiration from Golden Demon 2003 for you http://demonwinner.free.fr/uk/2003/golden_demon_winner.php?categorie=11

Has a couple of great Uruk-hai based dioramas!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:58 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Morgoths_crown wrote:
Still looking forward to this! Here is a link to some inspiration from Golden Demon 2003 for you http://demonwinner.free.fr/uk/2003/golden_demon_winner.php?categorie=11

Has a couple of great Uruk-hai based dioramas!

Shame that category has gone now :/. Shows how LotR is slowly dying. Though it may just be because RotK came out that year, idk.