All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 2:31 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cyndra's Minis and Scenery Log (Update 19/2/11)
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:23 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

looks great so far. :) keep it up cyndra.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:35 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I think it looks good.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:56 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Looks very good, my only suggestion would be to have the wood in smaller pieces. They would have had it more natural and not in big thick straight planks. Apart from that great stuff.

Drum 8)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:38 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks guys, your comments help a lot. 8)

Drum: I'll try and keep the planks more irregular in future, this was just a test piece.

Cyndra the Grey

My General WIP
 Post subject: Re: Cyndra's Minis and Scenery Log
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:34 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

It's alive!!! :D

So here is a long awaited (or dreaded, take your pic :P ) update. I'm still getting back into the swing of painting cloth and natural shapes because I have been painting my Raptors (Space marines in 40k)

I am restarting my Gondor Battle company in the summer so to get it done I will have to start painting now :) I have gone for the Cair Andros Garrison because I love the story behind them: http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_of_Cair_Andros
Basically their lord flees the city when attack and the defenders are led by a captain. My force is some of the survivors that escape the city through the sewer network.
For the colours, I am doing dark grey as the main one with broze/gold for veterans/elites.

Here is a ranger (just noticed that his skirt/tabard gold edged thing needs highlighted):

And an archer (base rim needs touched up and yes I know he shouldn't be blond):

And a Cair Andros/Osgiliath ruin, taken from the guide in WD 310:

So guys, what do you think?

And in really life news, on the way to post this update I fell down the stairs and sprained my ankle. Bit I just sat there laughing :lol: I'm still limping though.

Cyndra the Grey

My General WIP
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:40 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

No need to walk around while painting ;)
You did a great paint job. I think u have improved. I should go back a few pages to be certain :P

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:38 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I think the painting looks really good. I like the gold edging on the rangers apron. Why can't gondorians be blond? I must have missed this rule. Your scenario sounds cool, and can't wait to see more progress on the terrain. So you better HOP to it... :-D (hope the other leg gets better soon!!)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:57 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks guys.

garmenhord: Thank you very much, I suppose that's what a blog is for so I can look back on my old work.

edge: Yep the gold is one of my favourite things about him. In the books I think JRRT states that Gondorians were dark of hair and this guy can just be an oddball :D I hope it heals quickly as well.

My General WIP
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:42 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Oh some big improvements here. First of all I must say I quite liked the story myself, although I always ask myself how can Gondor be so Devlan Mud? Being one of the most powerful forces in Middle Earth, and their armor is pretty decent (in the films) Great to see you have started working on Gondor, my favourite army. 8) Your painting has come along well, and I like the colour scheme your using. That wall panel looks good, may I ask how you are going to brick it?

Drum
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:53 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks very much Drum. That's one of the annoying things about Gondor, they have well trained and disciplined armies and heavily armoured forces but can be defeated by a rabble of Orcs. I guess it was 1000 men against 6000 orcs though :P For the wall panel, the bricks have just been scored in using a biro but I will go over them before painting. So far I have cut out the other 3 walls and the roof/2nd floor but the complicated but is the arches. I should probably get it done tomorrow depending on how early I get up. Thanks for the encouragement 8)

My General WIP
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:15 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

they look very good Cyndra, keep up the good work! :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:57 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks very much Eothen, I'll try :-D

Yay, 400th post :D
Well the basic structure of the ruin is finished, I don't have a name for it at the moment though. Any ideas? It still needs rubble and stuff like that though.

It has a removable floor as well:

And here is the idea for the base, there will be some wooden planks to connect the ruin and the statue to make gameplay more '3D' if you get me.

I also have another ranger on the painting station so he should be done by the end of the week.
What do you think?

Cyndra the Grey

My General WIP
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:52 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

It looks great ! not sure about the planks to the statue (Would be nicer to another building i think.)
Keep it up - it seems like a nice building for games !

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:00 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Great work Cyndra the ruin looks lovely. Also your ranger and womt archer look excellent too. This whole theme of your gondor army is cool as which got me thinking of my own gondor guys. I have got a theme and I'm going to give them a new paint scheme too.

Keep the good stuff coming :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:09 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Looking good so far Cyndra, your working at a good pace. Have you had any thoughts on how you are going to texture the walls?

Drum
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:22 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Drumstick wrote:
Looking good so far Cyndra, your working at a good pace. Have you had any thoughts on how you are going to texture the walls?

Thanks very much. For texturing, I was thinking of some textured paint from B&Q but as you're a very skilled terrain maker do you have any ideas?

{aD}??? wrote:
Great work Cyndra the ruin looks lovely. Also your ranger and womt archer look excellent too. This whole theme of your gondor army is cool as which got me thinking of my own gondor guys. I have got a theme and I'm going to give them a new paint scheme too.

Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad I have encouraged you to start your own Gondor army back up again, will there be any chance of pics?

garmenhord wrote:
It looks great ! not sure about the planks to the statue (Would be nicer to another building i think.)
Keep it up - it seems like a nice building for games !

Again cheers for the praise. I'm going to build a tower next I think so I will try out your suggestion (I think it'll be better).

Thanks again to all :yay:

My General WIP
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:33 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Quote:
Thanks very much. For texturing, I was thinking of some textured paint from B&Q but as you're a very skilled terrain maker do you have any ideas?

Not skilled yet I'm afraid, lol. I've just picked up a few things along the way so far. Well there are 3 options I would say:

Option 1: This one is probably the easiest, but doesn't give as good a result - although it is fast. Rather than just having that flat surface you can rip the paper, adding dents etc.. gives you a more worn/battle damaged sort of look. It gives a little texture to it which helps than just the paper.

Option 2: Get some ready made plaster (or mix your own from the powder) and just slap it on. Smooth it over so you get an even coverage and then leave it for a few minutes. Depending on your room temperature and what brand it is, it'll be a little different. You want to leave it just long enough so you can still texture it. You then get your kitchen scourer (green thing) and dab it on, you'll know if it's ready if it doesn't stick to the scourer. You do this all around and you get a decent texture to it and then bricks can be scored in.

Option3: This is a better option if you have thicker foamboard. You peel back both sides of the paper. The easier way to do this is slightly damp it and then slowly peel it off. Use a rule close up to help you so it doesn't ripe, the picture below I found on the net should help. Scrunch up a ball of tinfoil from the kitchen and then roll it around on the foamboard. This will give you yet again a nice uneven texture.

I would so something with it anyway, for scoring bricks into the foamcore with the paper on doesn't work. Probably best to try this on a test piece so you get the idea. Look forward to seeing more progress on it. Good idea on adding a tower, that always makes things look a little more Osgiliath-y. For that you'll have to have your round roof piece for the tower for this is always a sign it's Gondor architecture.

Drum 8)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:41 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Cyndra the Grey wrote:

{aD}??? wrote:

Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad I have encouraged you to start your own Gondor army back up again, will there be any chance of pics?

Thanks again to all :yay:

This may be the beginning of a wip thread :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:44 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Drumstick wrote:
Quote:

Not skilled yet I'm afraid, lol. I've just picked up a few things along the way so far. Well there are 3 options I would say:

Option 1: This one is probably the easiest, but doesn't give as good a result - although it is fast. Rather than just having that flat surface you can rip the paper, adding dents etc.. gives you a more worn/battle damaged sort of look. It gives a little texture to it which helps than just the paper.

Option 2: Get some ready made plaster (or mix your own from the powder) and just slap it on. Smooth it over so you get an even coverage and then leave it for a few minutes. Depending on your room temperature and what brand it is, it'll be a little different. You want to leave it just long enough so you can still texture it. You then get your kitchen scourer (green thing) and dab it on, you'll know if it's ready if it doesn't stick to the scourer. You do this all around and you get a decent texture to it and then bricks can be scored in.

Option3: This is a better option if you have thicker foamboard. You peel back both sides of the paper. The easier way to do this is slightly damp it and then slowly peel it off. Use a rule close up to help you so it doesn't ripe, the picture below I found on the net should help. Scrunch up a ball of tinfoil from the kitchen and then roll it around on the foamboard. This will give you yet again a nice uneven texture.

I would so something with it anyway, for scoring bricks into the foamcore with the paper on doesn't work. Probably best to try this on a test piece so you get the idea. Look forward to seeing more progress on it. Good idea on adding a tower, that always makes things look a little more Osgiliath-y. For that you'll have to have your round roof piece for the tower for this is always a sign it's Gondor architecture.

So paint doesn't work then? I was thinking of something like this: http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?a ... arch=false

If that isn't going to work I would probably say Option 2 then because it sounds like the best of both worlds, it's easy but gives a good effect.

But I would still prefer to use textured paint.

@{ad}???: Great to hear it, you get a lot of encouragement out of one 8)

My General WIP
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:18 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

It will work, not too sure about that specific product as I have not had much experience with it. If you do avoid using a brush because your going to get brush marks, which is not what you want. It's quite like the plaster idea but a different substance.

Look forward to seeing more
Drum 8)
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next