All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 2:22 pm

Post subject: Re: War of the Dwarves and Orcs (A WIP Thread)(SBG)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:15 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Interessting those magnetic bases!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:58 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

edge67 wrote:
The conversions are fantastic - and much better than the original GW models. I agree the shaft is too long on the mace, but the mace head looks OK for size? It would be great to see a mace head on a chain ala witch king :wink: Can't wait to see them painted up.

Thanks edge67. I'm having a lot of fun making them. I'll try a mace and chain figure for you, though it seems more appropriate for a captain figure to me.

garmenhord wrote:
Interessting those magnetic bases!

See what you can do with them.
Rob
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:21 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Are they strong enough for metal figures?
I have some magnets glued beneath my bases - works to - but i am out of magnets for now. So not everything has magnets now. I think supermagneet.de or something , if i remember well. Sells tiny strong magnets for a cheap price - only thing is the send costs. I currently used 2 layers of magnet tape to make it stick on my cookie box. Considering to make a carrying case - to avoid , shortage of magnets. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:38 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

garmenhord wrote:
Are they strong enough for metal figures?
I have some magnets glued beneath my bases - works to - but i am out of magnets for now. So not everything has magnets now. I think supermagneet.de or something , if i remember well. Sells tiny strong magnets for a cheap price - only thing is the send costs. I currently used 2 layers of magnet tape to make it stick on my cookie box. Considering to make a carrying case - to avoid , shortage of magnets. :)

Yes, here is a heavy Reaper metal figure on a 40mm base upside down. 8)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:56 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I'm sorry to say that real life has taken a very heavy toll on my free time of late. But, I have managed to snatch away a few hours to convert more orcs. These figures will need greenstuff to smooth over some rough edges. I've done head swaps and arm swaps with these figures. Again please excuse the crappy pictures.

My first orc bowmen conversion. I simply repositioned the hand. He looks properly orcish now though.
I swapped out his arm with a bowmen's arm and gave him a weapon from the old Dark Eldar plastics box. It reminds me of the weapons the goblins use. Oh, I've also given him a new head.
He got the above figures arm and the head of a spearman. He will be holding a shield in his other hand very soon.
Here is the spearman with the head of the sword and shield figure above. The angle is bad so you can't see the face. :x

I have a number of bits from various Warhammer sets I'd like to use but the hands of all of those sets are larger then the LOTR figures hands. I may try replacing both of the hands of an orc with a pair of Warhammer hands to see if they will work out. Replacing one hand certainly will not.

Here are some quick shots of the orcs I've mounted on magnetic bases. Soon I'll have enough to begin painting. The models with black undercoat are unmodified plastic Mordor orcs. And you can see the first of my metal warg riders in the background. He's mounted on a 40mm magnetic base of course. :mrgreen:
And from above.

I hope you like them so far. Feel free to offer criticism or suggestions.
Rob
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:00 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Like them! I have so many orcs I never could be bothered to convert any of them :P.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:05 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

spuds4ever wrote:
Like them! I have so many orcs I never could be bothered to convert any of them :P.

I don't expect to convert all of them just 60 or 100. :P
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:17 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Great to see all those lovely conversions! They're much better than GW poses IMO. keep up the good work, I can't wait to see them all together nicely painted (hint)^^ :D :P
and also thanks for the links of those dwarf miniatures, I think they're great! I'll be ordering some myself 8)
ps: Thormarillion has some nice dwarves too, here's the link, hopefully it can be of any use:
http://www.thomarillion.de/index.php?se ... 1563447195

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:27 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Yes those are nice Dwarves. Thanks for the kind comments.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:51 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

looks good. Though one minor quibble. Every time I see people putting their figure's bows sideways they always have the figure's knuckles up. This most definitely would not work in real life. The arrow is now on the bottom of the bow, and will fall down when you tried to shoot it. If you rotate the bow so that it is sideways, but with the figures knuckles down, then it can work. The arrow will rest on the bow under it, and you can still fire.
Hope that made sense. :-D
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:43 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

theavenger001 wrote:
looks good. Though one minor quibble. Every time I see people putting their figure's bows sideways they always have the figure's knuckles up. This most definitely would not work in real life. The arrow is now on the bottom of the bow, and will fall down when you tried to shoot it. If you rotate the bow so that it is sideways, but with the figures knuckles down, then it can work. The arrow will rest on the bow under it, and you can still fire.
Hope that made sense. :-D

Sorry it doesn't. If you are going (and I have) shoot a bow horizontally the back of the hand grasping the bow is up, fingers down. I do thank you for the comments its always nice when people help out. :-D

Rob
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:50 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Yeah when you shoot an arrow the arrow is held on the left side of the bow, so rotating your left hand to a horizontal position will put your knuckles facing upwards and the arrow will rest on top of the bow.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:45 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Yes and the arrow tends to angle up, but that's just fine for a nasty orc.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:29 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I got some Pro Create today. I've never used it, but I hear it's great. I'm going to start sculpting some details onto the orcs today. I hope to have some pictures up in a day or too. I'll need about 60 orcs in total. I think I have about 45 or so rank & file mordor orcs at present. Oh well time for a few timely trades me thinks.

After I've completed the orcs I'll begin converting a band of Mordor Uruk-hai. I plan on combining the Mordor Uruk-hai with Uruk-hai scouts, Uruk-hai heroes and a few Shagrats. I hope to end up with a bloodthirsty band of 30 or so figures, which have a cohesive feel about them.

Rob
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:51 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

kidterminal wrote:
A long time ago two boys, who in adulthood would meet New York City to become friends, read some books collectively known as The Lord of the Rings. In the appendices is a story which would burn in their minds for the rest of their lives, the War of the Dwarves and the Orcs.
We really need a like button on the new site.
These all look great, bro, both Dwarves and Orcs (though I admit I still don't understand why to bother with magnetic bases). I look forward to seeing how this progresses. :yay:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:56 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

theOneRider wrote:
kidterminal wrote:
A long time ago two boys, who in adulthood would meet New York City to become friends, read some books collectively known as The Lord of the Rings. In the appendices is a story which would burn in their minds for the rest of their lives, the War of the Dwarves and the Orcs.
We really need a like button on the new site.
These all look great, bro, both Dwarves and Orcs (though I admit I still don't understand why to bother with magnetic bases). I look forward to seeing how this progresses. :yay:

Thanks. The magnetic bases are a personal preference. It helps to prevent them getting knocked around in their clear plastic storage boxes. Clear so I can see what's in them.

Rob