PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:55 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hes Gandalf,,,nough said.

Post subject: Re: Gandalf vs. Saruman
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:58 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

No, he's Saruman or rather Saruman as he should have been.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:31 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I went for either. It really depends on the opponent's army. Saruman's spells of Ruin are useful, but Gandalf's Blinding Light can be very effective. If my friend uses his Goblins with a Balrog, Blinding Light on the Balrog and then a Heroic Duel with a high fight hero (like Gil-galad: Fight 10!) can really cripple it. If he uses Dwarves, Saruman's Spells of Ruin can wreck them. So it depends on the situation.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:52 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

General Elessar, since this is for good lists, I'd suggest you think of it this way: Gandalf is better for heroes combos (especcially Elven ones) where he can keep key abilities charged. Otherwise, Saruman adds something good lists seriously lack, mobile firepower and something to buff them in combat. 'Shatter Shields' can be highly consequential just on its own, and Saruman can also call Epic Ruination, which means that he actually dishes out quite a lot of damage.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:03 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Xelee wrote:
General Elessar, since this is for good lists, I'd suggest you think of it this way: Gandalf is better for heroes combos (especcially Elven ones) where he can keep key abilities charged. Otherwise, Saruman adds something good lists seriously lack, mobile firepower and something to buff them in combat. 'Shatter Shields' can be highly consequential just on its own, and Saruman can also call Epic Ruination, which means that he actually dishes out quite a lot of damage.

So, which do you think is better for a typical Gondor army?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:01 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

For a Gondor Army, probably Saruman. I generally have enough might already, when using that list, and it is range attacks that I miss. Don't neglect 'shatter shields' though - that one spell can make a big difference. It is quite handy that good Saruman retains the Dismay spell list as well, so the options are there if you need them.

I don't know why he retained Command, which is Valar magic, and not Dismay, when he turned Evil.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:41 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

to show that he is still saruman and not a completely different wizard...

also i voted for saruman. in most cases he is better, unless your up against the balrog where his blinding light is actually useful (most times your not against an uber monster and everyone else just uses epic strike). spells of ruin tend to be far better, expeisally as good lacks things like that.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:53 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Is Saruman the only character who is interchangeable between good and evil in lotr sbg & wotr? That's what makes him cool, and also the fact that he stabs nazis in the back. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84i82QxNk74

If GW ever releases the Blue Wizards, they should have interchangeable alignment in SBG because their history is unknown and whether they have been corrupted by Sauron or not has always been a Tolkien fan faq.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:14 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Yep saruman definetely especially if he has combat experience from WWII, strange them wizards.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:09 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

No love for humble Radagast? I always find him to be a lot more cost-effective. What's Saruman, like, 240? That's a LOT of points.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:16 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Good Saruman is 200pts, with courage 7, 3 might, Epic Ruination and channeling, and 3 spell lists. What he lacks is overlord, inspiring leader and touched by destiny.

I think you need to have a very specific plan for Radagast and he fits some lists better than others. For a long time, he was the only Istari I owned, but I have aquired a Saruman and liked him. I gave Gandalf a try and was unimpressed. I was unimpressed because I simply found him a bit redundant for Gondor, but would change my tune if we were going up to 2000 pts (1500?) and Gimli joined him in the allied choices :D Saruman, by contrast, is nice and simple and fits Gondor well - whereever he goes he can significantly boost kill output on your core infantry, while also have extra tricks up his sleeve.

Radagast seems best for Rohan and Elves. A slight disadvantage he faces is that 'Epic Tranquility' seems to get some people inordinately riled up. I don't see why, since there are a number of non-melee ways to get at him (and there is always heroic charge), but there you are.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:16 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Xelee wrote:
Good Saruman is 200pts, with courage 7, 3 might, Epic Ruination and channeling, and 3 spell lists. What he lacks is overlord, inspiring leader and touched by destiny.

I think you need to have a very specific plan for Radagast and he fits some lists better than others. For a long time, he was the only Istari I owned, but I have aquired a Saruman and liked him. I gave Gandalf a try and was unimpressed. I was unimpressed because I simply found him a bit redundant for Gondor, but would change my tune if we were going up to 2000 pts (1500?) and Gimli joined him in the allied choices :D Saruman, by contrast, is nice and simple and fits Gondor well - whereever he goes he can significantly boost kill output on your core infantry, while also have extra tricks up his sleeve.

Radagast seems best for Rohan and Elves. A slight disadvantage he faces is that 'Epic Tranquility' seems to get some people inordinately riled up. I don't see why, since there are a number of non-melee ways to get at him (and there is always heroic charge), but there you are.

Yeah, you're right, my bad. I got confused by the fact that I've never faced "good" Saruman.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:49 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Bring back this post from dead but I believe either can win... 8)
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:24 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Zero Fight formtions/Free Epic Action/Epic Renewal/Inspiring Hero
vs.
Spells of Ruin/Cannot be charged half the time

You can do more with Gandalf. Saruman is nice but he's a glass cannon.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yeah...w/ Gandalf you can call a free Epic Defense each turn, and reduce your opponent formation to Fight 0 (unless they have an Epic Strike Hero). Those two features alone are awesome if played right.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:38 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I find Saruman better, personally. Gandalf is for if you're desperate to get more Might (Counsellor and Touched by Destiny), REALLY need Blinding Light for some reason or upgrade him to be White (but he's rather expensive then).

Saruman, gives you a higher Courage, prevents 50% of charges, gives the only good access to Ruin (Shatter Shields is a MASSIVE boon and direct damage spells are nice). Works excellently against things with Spirit Grasp (highest Courage in the game - alongside Gandalf the White, technically...) and his spells are so much better. Gandalf does allow a free Epic Defence, but with Minas Tirith you have a decent defence anyway, with Rohan it could be useful, with Elves you can get it from other characters easily and Dwarfs won't need it.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:48 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

My Wood Elves ( D3 ) like that Epic Defense. 8)

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:18 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Here's another point to dicsuss: should Gandalf or Saruman be better? Or should they both be the same?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:48 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I believe it should go like this:Gandalf the grey < Saruman the white < Gandalf the white 8)