All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 12:38 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Incoming: Misty Mountains
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:57 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Does anyone know in which WD the sbg rules will be in???

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:30 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Supposed to be in the November issue. Not sure of the issue number as I believe they are out of sync in the US and Europe.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:53 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi!

The SBG rules are available in december WD!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:14 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

General Elessar wrote:
Beowulf03809 wrote:
The funny thing is, the ‘drake’ looks more like I always pictured Smaug (dragon), and GW’s ‘dragon’ model looks more like I picture a cave drake.

I think I agree with you, if you took the wings off the Dragon model and the Drake model was a bit bigger.

Well the biggest problem to me is that I always pictured a drake to be like an inferior dragon, but this sculpt makes it look like it eats that dragon for breakfast.xD

Rueben

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:40 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Ok thanks guys.

:-X I have to wait that long

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:55 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Two news items. First, the WarSeer server sucks goblin butt. Second, all the LOTR stuffs now up for Advance Order, same pics as from Lorizael, just better. ;)

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... Style=lotr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:29 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for pointing that one out. Blackshields at four to a pack is pleasantly surprising, I thought it would be three given their size and separate shields.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:53 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

4 in a pack is far better for WotR, means it costs £16 a company instead of £24 with an extra model.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:21 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks for the pics!

Looks like that Goblin carrying the drum would have a really [word deleted] time. He must get a real headache.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:56 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Beowulf03809 wrote:
The funny thing is, the ‘drake’ looks more like I always pictured Smaug (dragon), and GW’s ‘dragon’ model looks more like I picture a cave drake. :rofl:

I was waiting to pick up a Dragon model until I saw what was coming in this release. Now that I see, I think I may get the Dragon but assemble it with no wings and let him be my Drake (nice big mouth on that fella :yay:). Then take the wings and add them to the Drake model to give me a Dragon more akin to the long, serpentine look that reading the Hobbit always gave me (even Tolkien’s own sketches for Smaug that I’ve seen in various books looked more like that). I am not sure how much GS work would be needed to get the wings attached reasonably but if life was easy, it’d be boring.

Don't give the Cave Drake measly wings from the Dragon, give it the large, mighty Balrog Wings, it would make the beast look more magnificent. I'm buying a Cave Drake to become my second Dragon, and I'll be giving it Balrog Wings (and a tasty treat, a hobbit being swallowed down its mouth :twisted:).

I'm very pleased with the price of the Blackshields and the Blackshield Command, for 4 command models £15 is great value.

Backlog Reduction Oath Participant - 6/53
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:41 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I have to say I like all the models. I see they used my dragon's colour scheme for the drake :) With a bit of quibbling I think it's a great sculpt. Except for the headgear and the overlong heel spikes, that's how I imagine Smaug, only 5 times bigger (and longer).

From the description it sounds like blackshields are going to get heavy armour. I expect I'll get a couple of blisters at least, to give some variety to the goblins. I hope the SBG rules are reasonable...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:48 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Well I'm pleasantly surprised at the advance order pics! The higher quality photos make them all look much better - the paint jobs don't seem quite as bad.

I'm also very pleased at the value on the blackshields - very good deal for LotR metals! The drake and dwarves are a tad high for my wallet, but at the price the blackshields are going for I can definitely see myself grabbing a few blisters when they hit shelves.

As far as SBG rules for them, I can't imagine too much more than basic gobbos with heavy armor and probably F3, maybe a special rule thrown in there but I wouldn't count on it. Unless the drum is just going to second as another goblin drum, though, then both that and the standard will be something new (for goblins, at least).

Based on what I've heard about his WotR profile, the King's Champion is pretty much just going to be a straightforward melee beast, although what (if any) rules his banner bearers will have beyond the normal banner bearers is beyond me.

I imagine Floi will be a minor spell-caster type of hero, along the lines of Malbeth the Seer or Cirdan the Shipwright - no offensive or "direct attack" types of spells but maybe some support stuff.

Don't even know what to expect for the drake, I guess I would picture something kind of dragon-like, although I don't imagine he'll have all the upgrade options. Maybe a special rule, along the lines of the old Tyranid named character "The Red Terror", where he can potentially swallow an enemy model whole (maybe by sacrificing the rest of his attacks for the round?).

Thanks for the updates!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well, I can say that I like the gundbad blackshields, but I'm a bit dissapointed that they (again) made only one pose of spear man, and it's too close to the goblin one for comfort.
I also like the drake and Floi. Now that i can see the whole king's champion I realy like that too. I also think that the captains pose is pretty good, I'm not so keen on the shaman or drum/srumer though. I sind it weird that the shaman's left arm is hanging down to his feet, is the elbow broken??!! For the drum, nice idea, but totally unrealistic, imagine the reverberations the poor goblin would have to deal with, headache city!
Overall I would rate this release a 7, with no plastic sets and the half decent command taking it down.
(Though I am very glad that they did not make a plastic prowler box, that would be practically the end of normal goblins on the table.)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:38 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

the kings champion would be good if it wasn't £20!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:10 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The_Dragon_of_Moria wrote:
Don't give the Cave Drake measly wings from the Dragon, give it the large, mighty Balrog Wings, it would make the beast look more magnificent. I'm buying a Cave Drake to become my second Dragon, and I'll be giving it Balrog Wings (and a tasty treat, a hobbit being swallowed down its mouth :twisted:).

Agreed! I actually thought that GW was using the Balrog wings on the existing Dragon model anyway. We don't have any local players using the Dragon (I've only seen one assembled at Games Day '08) so I was probably over-compensating for its wings in my memory. Finally, a use for the ONE Bitz part that GW has left us with. Now watch...they probably have someone lurking here that's going to report back that there is still a useful LotR Bitz in their inventory and they'll yank that one too. :rofl:

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:12 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I love the models and whats even better, the € prices are lower than normal (still almost 1,25times higher than the pound prices) I already advanced ordered the King's Champion :D
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:14 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Lorizael: Thanks for the clarification.

Okay a few thoughts having seen better pictures, the prices and the numbers involved: £35 is a lot for the Cave Drake. £30 was what I expected (in GW prices) as a maximum. I know they won't sell loads, but they'd sell more at £25, especially with WotR rules. As for rules: it should have one where it can swallow models whole, as in WotR, but unsure as to how to make that fair... King's Champion at £20? Ridiculous. Also, the three Dwarfs in the set come on three separate 25mm bases (contrary to everyone's thoughts that the King's Champion should be on a 40mm base like other monsters): that also seems to go against what Lorizael said to my previous post because they aren't on a single 60mm base. No other command group is that much and no other command group is so redundant. GW has bitterly disappointed me once again. Goblin command: £15 for 4 models sounds okay, but only because we're talking about GW. WotR players won't need loads, SBG players won't need loads, so they gotta make up their base costs, lol. Blackshields: £2/goblin sounds excessive, but you do get an extra model compared to almost any other blister, so no real complaints there. Floi: £7.50 - could be worse, but could also be better. £7 seems fairer, but if there were other Dwarf "casters", £6 would be best until new models came out. Something to note - I SERIOUSLY hope that he doesn't have magic of ANY kind in SBG. It'd be FAR better if he had some sort of anti-magic or gave bonuses to nearby models or removed special rules from others...

I thought I was getting alienated before, but the prices are pushing me right out, the lack of thought put into things (2 Banners in a box of three models/the Island of Blood not having any sort of "starter scenarios" for easing people into the game/the price of the new Fantasy High Elves/etc...), the lack of care for a customer (telling me in 4 out of 5 stores that they don't allow people to just come in and play a game) have made me almost back out of the hobby - which is a shame because I love the hobby and it is pretty much my main one (nearly only one!)...

EDIT: LOrizael, aplogies, it does come with a 60mm base. I am wrong ;) However, for SBG, it seems that it would be bought like Vault Wardens/Murin&Drar (as a group, not individually) on separate bases. I wonder how they'll work since there are two heralds included.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:31 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Beowulf03809 wrote:
Agreed! I actually thought that GW was using the Balrog wings on the existing Dragon model anyway. We don't have any local players using the Dragon (I've only seen one assembled at Games Day '08) so I was probably over-compensating for its wings in my memory.

To be fair I'm borrowing the idea of using Balrog wings from one of my local GW staff members who gave his Dragon some Balrog Wings and used MoM scenery on the base (it was leaning on a stone column so it looks bigger and mightier).

Beowulf03809 wrote:
Finally, a use for the ONE Bitz part that GW has left us with. Now watch...they probably have someone lurking here that's going to report back that there is still a useful LotR Bitz in their inventory and they'll yank that one too. :rofl:

I can see the GW guys doing that right now. :rofl:

Backlog Reduction Oath Participant - 6/53
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:33 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Are the Balrog wings easier to assemble onto the dragon model than the wings that come with it? Sorry, a bit off topic..
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:42 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

agincourt777 wrote:
the kings champion would be good if it wasn't £20!!!!!!

It's cool, just move here to Australia, where the KC is priced at the equivalent of thirty-three pounds(!!!!). Then you can relax and be thankful for Wayland Games and the like, allowing you to order for the low,low price of UK retail, minus tax, plus postage. :)
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next