All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 7:21 pm

Post subject: New Starter Paint Set (Goblins)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:21 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Looks like GW are changing the Moria Goblin Starter Paint Set:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod920009a

You get 7 paints this time (3 Foundation Paints, 3 standard paints and an undercoat) and 1 wash, and the pots are standard size instead of the small pots from the old set. Also as normal 12 Goblins are included (despite only 6 being displayed on the box), as well as a painting guide and a Starter Brush (looks like the same design as the more recent brushes).

- Devlan Mud (Wash)
- Undercoat Black
- Khemri Brown (Foundation Paint)
- Gretchin Green (Foundation Paint)
- Codex Grey
- Scorched Brown
- Chainmail
- Merchrite Red (Foundation Paint)

- Starter Paint Brush (new design)

- Painting Guide

- 12 plastic Moria Goblins

For £18...

Last edited by gambit025 on Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:27 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

foundations, a wash, an undercoat as well as normals for metallics - good range of paints there with a better brush but i suppose that does come into a whopping £18 price tag...
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:07 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

New paint pots! Changing the subject slightly, the new Warhammer in a box the "island of Blood" is on advance order, priced at £60.00 !!!!
That is so expensive, ok the models are nice etc,etc but the boxed stuff not long ago was £40.00
I think GW are pricing themselves out of the market place.
More realistic prices I would buy more as i am sure most of us would.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:45 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Harfoot wrote:
New paint pots! Changing the subject slightly, the new Warhammer in a box the "island of Blood" is on advance order, priced at £60.00 !!!!
That is so expensive, ok the models are nice etc,etc but the boxed stuff not long ago was £40.00

Cool thanks must look at that. and lol everyone did on fact guess it to be £60 on release tbh..So I'm not too shocked lol!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:57 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Looks good, I never liked those small paint pots...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:28 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Location: Hear the sinister whisper of steel on leather? The quiet footsteps? You've found me.
Harfoot wrote:

Let's not de-rail the topic, this is really about the new LOTR release.....discussion of that should really go in the Warhammer & 40k section. Feel free to start a topic there :)

I may pick this set up, simply b/c it's all paints I can use and I have this odd urge to paint some goblins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:15 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Well I think its expensive, but still represents value if you look at GWs prices....

£18 worth of paints alone..So your sprue and brush are effectively free. The range of paints in terms of colours and usage (foundations, washes, standards) still make me see this as a key product for those interested in starting LoTR.

Although it would be nice to see something different then those goblins in the set for a change (Yeah i know, they are easier to paint and produce because there is less plastic and detail than other kits). But a WoMT set wouldn't be a big jump..

=)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:55 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Corsair wrote:
Although it would be nice to see something different then those goblins in the set for a change (Yeah i know, they are easier to paint and produce because there is less plastic and detail than other kits). But a WoMT set wouldn't be a big jump.

They did make a WoMT Starter Paint Set years ago, I think it was when the RoTK rulebook was around. I brought the last one in my store as I started just after the current rules were released and the WoMT Paint Set was replaced with the Goblin one... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:08 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

gambit025 wrote:
Corsair wrote:
Although it would be nice to see something different then those goblins in the set for a change (Yeah i know, they are easier to paint and produce because there is less plastic and detail than other kits). But a WoMT set wouldn't be a big jump.

They did make a WoMT Starter Paint Set years ago, I think it was when the RoTK rulebook was around. I brought the last one in my store as I started just after the current rules were released and the WoMT Paint Set was replaced with the Goblin one... :(

hmm yes I do sort of remember that, they made both an orcs one and WoMT one...good idea.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:28 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I wonder if these painting cans will be permanent? In the future ofcourse

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:57 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Dude, yes, thanks for the find! Price is a little high, granted, obviously, ($29.75 :shock:) but I may have to get this. Twelve Goblins, a brush, and real paints, not a bad "starter set"!

I will, however, make mention of the Undercoat Black included in this set; it was included in another paint set I purchased, the "hobby starter set," which may or may not be available anymore, and I will warn you that the paint drys shiny. Working over such a glossy coat was in my experience and opinion a pain, because not only did it mean that the color had to be completely and utterly covered, but it also eliminated it for use outside of undercoating, as glossy eyes or a shiny Ringwraith cloak looks dreadful.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:29 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Nice find 8)

I remember getting the old goblin starter kit, and must say this one looks much better. I hated those little pots :x

Of course, the price is stupendous, but then again, what did you expect?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:07 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

My first LOTR purchase was the goblin starter set. A bit of nostalgia for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:23 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Jamros wrote:
Dude, yes, thanks for the find! Price is a little high, granted, obviously, ($29.75 :shock:) but I may have to get this. Twelve Goblins, a brush, and real paints, not a bad "starter set"!

I will, however, make mention of the Undercoat Black included in this set; it was included in another paint set I purchased, the "hobby starter set," which may or may not be available anymore, and I will warn you that the paint drys shiny. Working over such a glossy coat was in my experience and opinion a pain, because not only did it mean that the color had to be completely and utterly covered, but it also eliminated it for use outside of undercoating, as glossy eyes or a shiny Ringwraith cloak looks dreadful.

Ah yeah I remember this too, but once you use the Devlan Mud wash on it, it will dry Matt and make the model look very "matt" anyway which is good.

All my goblins have had washes, and this set comes with one...its perfect! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:15 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

i remember my first produst of G.W it was two starter sets one of space marines and anotheir the old goblin with camo green and bolt gun metal ect ect i got fond of the moria goblins when i started to paint them and sooon enough got the moria paint set game with all the fellowship and the goblins and troll along with the paints needed it was handy.

anyway sorry for getting side traked but dose this mean that they are not going to sell camo green or any of the original goblin paints anymore :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:56 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I can't find the starter set on the GW website anymore. I looked on the article it was published on, and it's not there. They have the Warhammer, and Warhammer 40k ones, but the LotR one hase dissapeared. I also looked on the LotR page and couldn't find it there :sad: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:18 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Whoa, it does seem to have disappeared, most likely temporarily. A couple weeks ago, all of the LotR articles disappeared and came back the next day. Still, its odd, and a reminder that sometimes online stores can be unreliable.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:08 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I don't think the price is that bad considering you're getting the sprue and the brush free I mean free modles is always a good thing right? anyway I only have one complaint and thats about the merchrite red i got a pot of it a couple of days ago and by the time i went to use it it was all watery and stuff has that ever happend to any of yous before? sorry for derailing from the topic :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:04 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Vanaril wrote:
I don't think the price is that bad considering you're getting the sprue and the brush free I mean free modles is always a good thing right? anyway I only have one complaint and thats about the merchrite red i got a pot of it a couple of days ago and by the time i went to use it it was all watery and stuff has that ever happend to any of yous before? sorry for derailing from the topic :)

No, every pot of Mechrite Red I've ever had was fine.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:14 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Corsair wrote:
Jamros wrote:

Ah yeah I remember this too, but once you use the Devlan Mud wash on it, it will dry Matt and make the model look very "matt" anyway which is good.

All my goblins have had washes, and this set comes with one...its perfect! 8)

But all the washes are also shiny. How does that work? Shiny + shiny = not shiny?