All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 3:26 pm

Post subject: Linkans Hex-table project.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:27 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Today I started to work on a "Hex-table", that is a terrain table where the terrain pieces are build as hexagons with 6" sides, using 5 cm thick foam. The size 6" is chosen for a couple of reasons. A normal 6'x4' table is 4 1/2 hex across, which feels like a good number. With smaller hexes, there would be more ways to vary the table with a fixed number of hexes, but also it would make some terrain features hard to build on a single hex (hills, ruins etc).

First I built myself a template:

I couldn't find a good cutter at the proper size, so I use a saw for cutting the foam.

And I have started to make some small tries on the first few hexes on different kind of terrain.

I will make more hexes and later I will make some kind of frame, which I can make more different kinds of terrain, to make the table very flexible.

Post subject: looks good so far
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:25 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

try this link:
http://www.ghqmodels.com/pages/military/modelguide.asp

http://www.ghqmodels.com/pages/military/flat.asp

I have used hexs in the past. We used to use a product called Geo Hex. They are long out of business I am afraid you will run into storage problems fast you have to make an inordinate amounts just to have basic lay outs.

You do good work.

Post subject: Re: looks good so far
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:42 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for your tips and comments.

Oldman Willow wrote:
I am afraid you will run into storage problems fast you have to make an inordinate amounts just to have basic lay outs.

In addition to the frame, I will need 28 full size and 7 half size hexes for a 6'x4' table, which will probably take up more room than I would like to give up, but still it's a project I started planning for about 6 years ago :-D and I want to get that table up now! Even my gf wants to create some hexes...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:56 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

You have a good start there, im following this thread extra careful because im starting something similar myself...

My opinion is that try to use the foam more freely..carve some rivers or ditches and make some hills...
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:00 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hexes are not a good idea I'm afraid as you will have lots of gaps where they join and will look horrible, you should also paint the tile brown or black before grassing as the white will show through quite bad.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:22 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

hithero wrote:
Hexes are not a good idea I'm afraid as you will have lots of gaps where they join and will look horrible, you should also paint the tile brown or black before grassing as the white will show through quite bad.

Well, "not a good idea" is quite subjective I think. The reasons I go for a hex-table are mainly two:

1. I want a table that is costumizable.
2. I don't like putting terrain features on top of the table, as in my mind it is worse in both looks and (more importantly) playability than a table where the terrain features are built in.

I will try painting the hexes black before grassing though, thanks for the tips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:20 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I dont think that hexes are bad idea..its just a matter of precision to make the hexes whitout the gaps...in my project most of the hexes will have stone pavement, so the possible gaps will not be so visible..

Quote:
I don't like putting terrain features on top of the table, as in my mind it is worse in both looks and (more importantly) playability than a table where the terrain features are built in.

My thoughts also. In this way every hex will be like a mini "diorama" and because you can change the configuration of the table, it wont be as constricted as a "fixed" gaming table...but these are just my opinions, it maybe that my thoughts will change when i work whit this project..=)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:46 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

This company makes hex boards and terrain - their hex is only 100mm (about 4 inches) across as these are intended to suit a wide variety of scales from 6mm to 25/28/30mm size. I have been eyeing these up for a while as they are easier to store than 2ft x 2ft sections...

http://www.kallistra.co.uk/

They make hill hexes too but there is nothing to stop you planting other hills on flat boards or hexes.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:27 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Oh, brilliant!! Got to go through all the pics for inspiration and ideas..thanks for the link!!!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:28 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

going to build ur own settler of catan game?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:39 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

donuthare wrote:
going to build ur own settler of catan game?

Do I sense irony in your tone?

I like the idea of a terrain set-up that can be changed each time for variety.

Another tip I'd like to offer is to give each piece way more depth and texture. They are currently quite flat looking. Raise some ground, make some dips, rocky outcrops etc.

As well as painting the hexes before flocking, I would be tempted to sand them first. Sand, paint, then static grass them. John of JohnandTricia was selling a brilliant static grass applicator thingimagadget on Spectre Hobbies website. It works a treat and static grass looks a great deal better than flock.

You probably won't want to pay attention to my next idea as you've already made a start but... I think, if I were doing this, I'd make the hexes much larger with more features on each. You'd still have a lot of scope for variety by rotating the hexes and relocating them, however you'd really cut down on join lines, which can be the bane of this kind of project.

My mind is now working on other tessellations that may work but that have curved lines, which would be more natural-looking.

Nice idea, anyway. Keep it up and please keep the pictures coming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:11 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Dorthonion wrote:
This company makes hex boards and terrain - their hex is only 100mm (about 4 inches) across as these are intended to suit a wide variety of scales from 6mm to 25/28/30mm size. I have been eyeing these up for a while as they are easier to store than 2ft x 2ft sections...

http://www.kallistra.co.uk/

They make hill hexes too but there is nothing to stop you planting other hills on flat boards or hexes.

Very nice. A bit to small for a fair sized river, but a good link for some inspiration.

Natarn wrote:
I like the idea of a terrain set-up that can be changed each time for variety.

Natarn wrote:
Another tip I'd like to offer is to give each piece way more depth and texture. They are currently quite flat looking. Raise some ground, make some dips, rocky outcrops etc.

Oh, I am working on hills, and a river, forest etc. I made my first ones flat for a couple of reasons. First I wanted a couple of easy tiles for testing things out, and at the same time I can put my old terrain pieces on them during gaming for even more customization.

Natarn wrote:
As well as painting the hexes before flocking, I would be tempted to sand them first. Sand, paint, then static grass them. John of JohnandTricia was selling a brilliant static grass applicator thingimagadget on Spectre Hobbies website. It works a treat and static grass looks a great deal better than flock.

I use the sand for roads, around other terrain features like stones and ruins etc. I will combine flock and static grass for the look I like.

Natarn wrote:
You probably won't want to pay attention to my next idea as you've already made a start but... I think, if I were doing this, I'd make the hexes much larger with more features on each. You'd still have a lot of scope for variety by rotating the hexes and relocating them, however you'd really cut down on join lines, which can be the bane of this kind of project.

I see your point. I did a lot of thinking before deciding on which size to use. 6" sides on the hexes are quite big actually. 4 1/2 hex across, 7 rows wide (+ "frame") for a normal 6'x4'. I don't remember the calculations, but going for 4 or 3 1/2 hex across would make the table less variable, and it would increase the amount of material I have to buy quite a lot, since one sheet gives me 7 full size and 2 half hexes in a very nice way at this size, but if I would make them larger, I couldn't fit 2 rows of hexes on it.

Natarn wrote:
Nice idea, anyway. Keep it up and please keep the pictures coming.

I will go away for a couple of days from tomorrow, but I will try to get some new photos up by the weekend. I will try to buy some more trees too, for some nice forest tiles, with undergrowth and some rocky ground.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:39 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I get quoted once and the Thulptmeister gets five quotes... you would swear someone had put a hex on me. :lol:

(Dorth wonders if they will get that dreadful pun - ah, the Youth of Today)

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:41 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Dorthonion wrote:
I get quoted once and the Thulptmeister gets five quotes... you would swear someone had put a hex on me. :lol:

(Dorth wonders if they will get that dreadful pun - ah, the Youth of Today)

Dorth, Dorth, Dorth, that pun was trully awful I let out a groan when I read this. Keep this up and I might have to sabotage your beloved B@z00ka...

Back on topic. Those hexes look like a cool way of making a gaming board. However won't storage be an issue?

Backlog Reduction Oath Participant - 6/53
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:54 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

The_Dragon_of_Moria wrote:

Back on topic. Those hexes look like a cool way of making a gaming board. However won't storage be an issue?

Well, storage of any gaming board is an issue. It will take more room than a flat gaming board with terrain pieces that you put on it, but on the other hand, it will arguable take much less space than having multiple fixed gaming boards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:49 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I have made some progress on my hex table project. On some of the hexes I have put a couple of my old Rohan Warriors for size comparison.

I have started to work on a river. 3 hexes with river and 1 hex with a lake.

Close up on plastic ruin and to the left more of the river.

First finished "non-trivial" half hex. A beginning of the road into the board, some natural stones and a couple of bushes.

First finished "non-trivial" full hex. A "mountainy" hill with a ruined watch tower on the top.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:43 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

very nice. u still need some victory points more, and then u are the lord of catan:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:49 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

You should paint the edges of the table section green. Because I can see white showing between the pieces.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:08 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Nice! Are you going to make "spare" hexes, like roads and rivers, that you can have more variation on your board?

What about hills? Yes there is one hill, but its quite easy to defend and its more like a objective. Now the board looks little bit flat, not like a natural field. Could you make shallow hills and valleys that would not interfere with the playing but would make the board look more realistic?

The ruins are nice and i think that this board will look very good when its finished.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:36 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

JCoo wrote:
Nice! Are you going to make "spare" hexes, like roads and rivers, that you can have more variation on your board?

Yes, I will.

JCoo wrote:
What about hills? Yes there is one hill, but its quite easy to defend and its more like a objective. Now the board looks little bit flat, not like a natural field. Could you make shallow hills and valleys that would not interfere with the playing but would make the board look more realistic?

There will be more of that. I wanted to start out with plain easy tiles, because it can be good to have a few of those too, and it's a good way to get started. I plan on doing a "dual-hex" or perhaps even a "triple-hex" with hills, so they can be slightly bigger than just a single hex.

JCoo wrote:
The ruins are nice and i think that this board will look very good when its finished.

Thanks.