All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 4:19 am

Post subject: New Gondor & Arnor Character Focus Article
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:24 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

New article on GW website:
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?catId=&categoryId=&section=&pIndex=0&aId=8700013a&start=1

Nice to see so many LOTR articles recently!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:43 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Location: On some battle field with 6,000 riders behind me yelling....DEATH!!!
Thanks for the article! Looks very interesting!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:50 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

It's a good article, but it doesn't really add something, it sums op most of the captains and heroes of Gondor.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:05 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Nothing fantastically new, but nice to see articles. And we got some info on the new Faramir model! I'm happy that I don't have to buy anything for his rules now!

Has anyone noticed that they're pushing LotR a lot lately? And how the price raises barely scratch the LotR range? Interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:05 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Anybody else find this quote from the article a bit silly?

"While the Men of Gondor are courageous and bold beyond measure, clad in fine armour and armed with well-wrought weapons, they are nonetheless grievously outnumbered. In even combat there is little doubt that a man is more than a match for an Orcish warrior..."

Yep, that C3 is "bold beyond measure".
As for "more than a match", more than a little doubt, IMHO. One on one, there is a 16% advantage to the Warrior vs an Orc, and only because the Warrior can get D6, as they have even chances of winning the fight.

I don't mind a little hyperbole, but in this case it's completely inaccurate and misleading.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:41 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yeah, I know what you mean. Not the greatest article in the world, but ah well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:12 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

So many LOTR articles! :D

Edit: Just read the bit about Duinhir's special rules, bye bye my friend's Troll Cheiftain! :D :D

OERP
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:57 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

BTW they have a typo, Arvedui the Last King of Arnor doesn´t have 3 attacks :rofl:

And I think they are really overestimating Aragorn and Boromir, though they may seem cool and devastating they do cost hellawa lot and are easily neutralized by a wraith...

Otherwise nice Article, nice to see some "new" things appearing again :rofl:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:27 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

whafrog wrote:

Yep, that C3 is "bold beyond measure".
As for "more than a match", more than a little doubt, IMHO. One on one, there is a 16% advantage to the Warrior vs an Orc, and only because the Warrior can get D6, as they have even chances of winning the fight.

I don't mind a little hyperbole, but in this case it's completely inaccurate and misleading.

I know what you mean, but in most of my games where orcs go up against gondor, the orcs die in droves while the armour and shield of the WOMT, keeps them long in the fight...
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:31 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Mouth-of-Sauron wrote:

And I think they are really overestimating Aragorn and Boromir, though they may seem cool and devastating they do cost hellawa lot and are easily neutralized by a wraith...

Hmm, exactly how are they neutralised by a wraith? I am usually very causious with my wraiths and tend to find out they run out of Will much too quickly to have any huge effect on game, and are little use in a fight, with one attack. Their only saving grace is D8, and any hero with a few might points left can get past that easily...
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:00 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Heh, seems you haven´t met a proper wraith, no really I usually take someone strong Spider Queen my favorite and Undying or something. Then I Cast few transfixes on a hero... well he/she can resist it max three times, (unless it´s Glorfindel, Lord of the West or Treebeard or Wizard or something ofc.) At this point herose are pretty much toast and it takes about 5-8 will points, so I have 15-12 left, and after that S. Queen/Troll charges into a transfixed or Compeled hero, believe me he/she is toast... :)

But if an opoonent would field some cheaper herose, eg. named captains or some. then it would be quite hard to efficiently use Nazgyl to his full potent, but then again S. Queen/Troll is mostly a match to most captains available to this game... Cause it´s hard to focus on such heroes...

Although It´s always possible to call heroic fights and heroic moves (if your Aragorn or Boromir, or even Elendil) to cut throw enemy lines quickly and kill the magic caster...It is pretty risky...

Oh and did I mention that all wraiths should be mounted on horses, so that they can see over other models? so unless you are 28 cm away from a wraith you really can´t do anything....against them.... :-D

I know this talk is "all shiny EGO talk" but it´s mostly true... I cut down Elendil with Dark Marshal (on horse) with Spider Queen, but the lack of might costed me DM, as Gil-Galad saved the day... nevertheless a High Numenorean King was dead... :rofl:

Add to that that a Named wraith on a horse is usually also cheaper than those uber-herose...

But in game terms it always depends...

Oh and one more thing, never use a Nazgyl as a fighter unless it´s a fully upgraded Witch-King on a fell beast (though I still don´t recommend it too much, cause fellbeast tend to be easily killed by bow fire) Khamul or Knight of Umbar :rofl: :no:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:26 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I tend to use a tag team of a Warg Chieften and an un-named waith with maxed will, no might or fate. It is simply used to transfix the enemy hero so that the chieften can maul them in CC. Given the cheap cost for a three attack hero which can move 10" and a ring wraith with max will, only costs 165 points meaning that they can slay Uber-Heroes with ease. I also have a goblin shaman to burn the heroes will in the first turn with the Wraith saving the Wraith 2-3 will points and burning the enemies will down to one.

So yeah, Boromir and Aragorn can be neutralised pretty easily with a Wraith and a cheap three attack creature (a Spider Queen or a Warg Chieften), A couple of Giant Spiders or some bat swarms with some S4 attackers.

Backlog Reduction Oath Participant - 6/53
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:42 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Quote:
I tend to use a tag team of a Warg Chieften and an un-named waith with maxed will, no might or fate
Don't you find that the wraith gets shot and killed early on? I would personally get at least one or two fate and maybe a might or two. That way the wraith can provide leadership with the might even after he has taken out the enemy's big hero.