All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 8:19 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

what do you think of 'faramir' (if that is his real name...)
he's great! 18%  18%  [ 24 ]
meh 39%  39%  [ 52 ]
hes just some drunk fat guy whos eaten a few too many mcburgers and frankly its animal cruelty to put him on a horse. 43%  43%  [ 57 ]
Total votes : 133
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:42 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I don't really think he's fat - but I don't think it looks like Faramir either. The model just looks bad to me... (colors, pose, sculpt, everything)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:57 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I believe the colour scheme originated with this:

Denethor's Sword and Shield.

Of course, this was created by WETA as a background prop, and those hacks clearly have no idea what they're doing when it comes to Lord of the Rings visual design. GW probably used gold as it's more "regal" and less similar to the SKODA. I'd paint mine closer to the prop in terms of the shade of blue and silver rather than gold.

Oh yeah, here's that horribly painted model resized so it's approximately the size of the actual figure (still a little bigger than the real thing, though). Clearly painted by a three year old as I'm sure all of the people complaining about such can do better with their eyes closed.

It's a travesty!
Seriously though, I'm aware that I'm starting to sound like a GW apologist in these threads since the new releases were revealed, but the level of piling on just appears to be getting rather silly.

It's fine not to like any figure or anything else for that matter, based purely on your own aesthetic preferences, (I think Duinhir stinks actually) but this seems to be getting to a mob mentality group bash to fit in with the peer group/cool kids.

Oh, it'd be absolutely hilarious if it turns out that one of the Perry twins did in fact sculpt this figure... maybe I'll email them and ask... :twisted:

What do I think of the figure? I'm glad you asked. It's okay. Decent. Better than Meh. Not up to Great though. Shame "decent" wasn't a poll option, eh?

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/
My miniatures painting blog.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:28 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I agree with you, scipio.au. I won't be buying the model, but it's decent. And I don't understand all the comments about how he looks fat and drunk... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:40 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'm not really sure why everyone is ripping the quality of the paint job...personally I am not a fan of the color scheme, but the paint job isn't too shabby and I'm sure if some Joe Blow painted it and posted it in our gallery he would get props for it. I'd like to see some of minis scipio.au, I'm sure they are a real treat! :) All in all it's not 'Eavy Metal quality, but c'mon guys...

It's also not that bad of a model, it just isn't Faramir anyway you slice it. I'm sure if this came out as Anarion we would really like it, and as I mentioned it will probably become a piece of terrain for me in the form of a statue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:01 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

BilboOfTheWhiteTower wrote:
It's also not that bad of a model, it just isn't Faramir anyway you slice it. I'm sure if this came out as Anarion we would really like it, and as I mentioned it will probably become a piece of terrain for me in the form of a statue.

I may have overreacted earlier, but I was quite shocked when I learned that he was supposed to be the new Faramir (as most of us were). I think Bilbo's remark really hits the nail on the head for me. I did see the picture long before this release was announced, and didn't mind it at the time. I just wish they didn't call him "Faramir".
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:04 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

It's funny, last night I showed my son the picture of Faramir. I didn't say anything, I just said, "Here's some new models" and his first reaction is "Faramir? You mean after he's been eating KFC for a year?"
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:20 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I actually really like this model, and I think it looks fine as Faramir. This model seems to represent him in the Fourth Age, and there is no reference images for him in that time period, so I think they did a good job. The shield design, as earlier stated, was drawn from the movies. I also don't think he looks either fat or drunk. Saying the model is fat just doesn't make all that much sense, you can barely see his body, and only from one angle. And the drunken look merely comes from the paint job, which is bad I won't deny it. I do think Duinhir looks drunk though. It's as if he's stumbling home after a long night of drinking, supporting himself with his spear and belting out drunken ballads. :lol:

Bilbo

Last edited by Longbottom Leaf on Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:04 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Longbottom Leaf wrote:
I definitley agree with scipio.au, it sounds like people are just bashing this model because they think it's. "cool" to bash GW. I actually really like this model, and I think it looks fine as Faramir. This model seems to represent him in the Fourth Age, and there is no reference images for him in that time period, so I think they did a good job. The shield design, as earlier stated, was drawn from the movies. I also don't think he looks either fat or drunk. Saying the model is fat just doesn't make sense, you can barely see his body, and only from one angle. And the drunken look merely comes from the paint job, which is bad I won't deny it. I do think Duinhir looks drunk though. It's as if he's stumbling home after a long night of drinking, supporting himself with his spear and belting out drunken ballads. :lol:

Seconded, but this faramir just doesn't look like the faramir from the movies, and I think the most people are used to the fact that most miniatures are sculpted like the persons from the movies.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:09 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I dont talk bad about GW, I just think they did much better miniatures back in the days with the Perrys. Dont know what sculpter this is, but he sure aint as good as the Perrys.

Nothing bad with GW though, they are amazing, sure, the paintjob is not the best I've seen. But it's way better than what most of us could perform.

Back to the original subject, I still think he look like a pretty fat old drunk man. But taste is different, I know.

//TKoM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:51 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

@ scipio.au,

Its also just as "silly" to claim that any sort of criticism is based on some sort of mob mentatlity. I simply don't like the figure, doesn't look like Faramir (from the movies) and the pose, colors, etc are not at all to my liking. A lot of people feel the same way (notice this thread didn't pop up for any other new models). Sure, some people's criticism lacks eloquence but that doesn't make it wrong in-and-of-itself.

Also, crtiticising a paint scheme that you can't paint yourself is inherently viable. Not many people can paint like Picasso - but that doesn't mean that you have to like his paintings cause you're not as good (otherwise art criticism - indeed, criticism in any field would go flying out the window).

Oh, and if the a Perry sculpted this I still think it's bad :wink:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:15 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I thought the model was awesome before I found out it was Faramir. There is no need for this miniature as the current armored mounted Faramir is excellent. It doesn't resemble David Wenham and conjurs no familiarity of either the book or movie character. I would really like to see this model in a different paint job; black and silver, or white, or even ranger colors, something remotely reminding me of Faramir at all.

I'm not planning on purchasing this model, but I'm not necessarily ruling it out. He would possibly be pretty decent with a different paint job, or certianly a great proxy figure for yet uncovered Gondorian heroes from the second and third ages.

I voted for the fat lard option btw, just out of shock that this guy is supposed to be Faramir! :shock:

Edit: Rofl at Dorthonion's comment! :rofl:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:30 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I certainly see where the "fat" comments are coming from now, after taking another look. I'm still not sure whether it's genuine "fatness" or if the head is just too big. Again, I'll need to see it from another angle to pass final judgement. I'm currently leaning towards "no" simply because there isn't a comparable foot model for the SBG.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:26 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I like the model if the profile is of Faramir after the War of the Ring when he takes over Ithilien. I just picture him fighting as a Ranger in every battle until then (at least unless he's gearing up for a suicide charge).

GTW please release SBG stats for the release!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:04 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

CreatureFear wrote:
@ scipio.au,
Its also just as "silly" to claim that any sort of criticism is based on some sort of mob mentatlity. I simply don't like the figure, doesn't look like Faramir (from the movies) and the pose, colors, etc are not at all to my liking.

Also, crtiticising a paint scheme that you can't paint yourself is inherently viable.

Both completely valid points, and I did point out that everyone is of course welcome to their own tastes. It'd be a little disingenious though, to claim that there's no piling on/GW bashing going on in the thread. If you've been involved in Mini Wargaming for any length of time you'll know that it's often "cool" to bash GW, and it's also not difficult to spot the difference between piling on and actual criticism or dislike.

Which is not to say that every negative post is doing this, but let's be honest, quite a few here are...

I mean, we're not talking about the original Nagash model, and if this figure wasn't presented as 4th Age Faramir/David Wenham, and instead as Generic Gondor Guy, do you honestly think there'd be the same level of Worst.Figure.Ever. ? ;)

BilboOfTheWhiteTower wrote:
I'd like to see some of minis scipio.au, I'm sure they are a real treat! :) All in all it's not 'Eavy Metal quality, but c'mon guys...

Assuming there's a missing "your" in there (?) and you're asking to see some of my painting, I have a few figures painted on my crappy little blog linked from my signature, which I will be adding to on a semi-regular basis. I'll try to get some more up over the weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:42 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The only thing I dont like about this mini is the skirt on the horse?? It looks to SKoDA to me!! You never see any Gondorian horse dressed that way?

I love the shield, it could be used on many other models. The colour scheme could be a bit darker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:31 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

IMO it's just a great way to show 'how Imrahil should not look like' :D

Whole concept reminds more of DA than Ithilien and If not for the head any newcomer to the hobby could be easily mistaken :)

www.independent-painters.blogspot.com/
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:56 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

DM wrote:
The only thing I dont like about this mini is the skirt on the horse?? It looks to SKoDA to me!! You never see any Gondorian horse dressed that way?

At a guess, it's an attempt to show a barded horse (typically considered more regal) using the Template they already had for Gondor and it's environs - as opposed to the different look that the few barded Rohirric horses have. Don't forget that the Princedom of Dol Amroth is still a part of Gondor.

Aside from the colours, the overall style looks to be based on King Aragorn's steed. Skirted barding, uncovered neck, armour plate for the horsehead.
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... GameStyle=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:07 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

scipio.au wrote:
Assuming there's a missing "your" in there (?) and you're asking to see some of my painting, I have a few figures painted on my crappy little blog linked from my signature, which I will be adding to on a semi-regular basis. I'll try to get some more up over the weekend.

Haha, you did see correctly...typing too fast and forgot the 'your'. :)
Checked out the blog...nice models, like the treeman!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:03 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

scipio.au wrote:
It's fine not to like any figure or anything else for that matter, based purely on your own aesthetic preferences, (I think Duinhir stinks actually) but this seems to be getting to a mob mentality group bash to fit in with the peer group/cool kids.

Hey dude, I don't know you and I haven't 'seen' you before because I simply didn't visit in a long time, but there's no reason to judge people like that on a website like this. No offence intended though. :wink:

I agree with what you're saying, but keep it to yourself, because this may sound offensive to some. :wink:

Rueben

P.S. The miniature itself is pretty ok, although I don't think he looks like faramir. Also, why do the newer horses seem to have this strange disease because of which their legs become all square-shaped? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:02 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Reguarding GW bashing:

I am a passionate supporter of this game and have given GW a great deal of money over the years, so I feel that I have the right to get a little worked up about the way they conduct their buiseness from time to time. What little support they are now offering SBG is taking it in a direction I feel quite uneasy about. I am also sure there are many other people out there who will feel the same way. Please respect our opinions too.
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next