All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 4:19 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 424 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 22  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:38 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Dorthonion wrote:
The toughest part to make really convincing is the warpaint - I have seen quite a few mumakil where the painted icons ruined the overall effect by being too strong and 'fresh'. have a long look at the movie version - the markings show signs of 'wear and tear' and are faded (by time and dirt probably - elephants like to take dust baths).

Thanks Dorth! I've already got those War Paint screen caps saved on my PC. I'm very very worried about both the war paint and the tusks. I'm actually dreading painting them at this point because they make or break the whole model.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:30 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The tusks are definitely the hardest part. In my opinion however the pics from the film show less contrast from brown to white compared to the GW pics. A simple way of getting around this is to use dwarf flesh as an undercoat and highlight up through bleached bone and then to white

check those pics out and you will know what i mean :wink:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:06 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

The Mumak is looking fantastic!The red looks really incredible,i really like it!
Looking forward to seeing the finished result,and good luck with the warpaint! :wink:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:11 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Finished painting the other side, Howdah, Ropes, etc. I also painted the bi-fork support beams. Having finished that, I held my breath and tackled the tusks. I'm pleased with how they came out. I went for more subtle color variations compared the very noticeable striations that most of the 'eavy Metal versions have.

The Mumak is dangerously close to being finished! I really just need to finish the top support beams and paint up the eyes. I'll need to add the ropes for the tusk weapons and any war paint but that is basically it. Could be finished this week depending on how I decide to do the war paint.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:50 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Bloody brilliant Brent! :shock:
He looks incredible!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:53 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

BrentS wrote:
The Mumak is dangerously close to being finished! I really just need to finish the top support beams and paint up the eyes.

Actually, you might not need to do the eyes unless you want to, I looked aththe pictures first and thought that the mumak had it's eyes closed and was letting out a roar. Excellent paintjob by the way.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:29 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

It is amazing work so far. I like it far more than the overly bright colors GW has instilled into the hobby. Although ivory can be cleaned and polished to a bright white, I have never seen pics of elephants in the wild that have tusks as glowing as the GW Mumuk and the cloths of the howdah have always been WAY too red for my tastes.

I'm starting to assemble mine this week (still cleaning and test fitting parts right now). I'm not going as dramatic as you did with the head position but am still trying to tweak it a little from the norm. I am wondering though what size brush(es) you used for painting? I'm so worried that I will either over or under detail the skin, either of which will look very unrealistic.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:59 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Absolutely spiffy Brent! How do you plan on making the dusty warpaint?

April: 0/3 choices complete

Yearly total: 50/74 models done O.o
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:23 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The mumak is almost finished... apart from the small matter of the crew... :-)

Looking very, very tasty at this point.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:51 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks everyone. I'm very happy with the way this Mumak is shaping up for sure.

Beowulf03809 wrote:
I'm starting to assemble mine this week (still cleaning and test fitting parts right now). I'm not going as dramatic as you did with the head position but am still trying to tweak it a little from the norm. I am wondering though what size brush(es) you used for painting? I'm so worried that I will either over or under detail the skin, either of which will look very unrealistic.

I'll have to double check. For the body, I used mostly flat brushes whihc I think they were about 1/2 in wide. For most of the other parts I use much smaller brushes.

CaptainOfTheWolfRiders wrote:
Absolutely spiffy Brent! How do you plan on making the dusty warpaint?

Please don't remind me. I have no idea.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:24 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Nice work BrentS. Even ver nice I like how the skin looks, though Howdah could use some smoother blending.

www.independent-painters.blogspot.com/
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:12 am 
Dark Lord of Moria
Dark Lord of Moria

I have seen a lot of Mumaks painted far too lightly for my liking, but hacve to say that I think you have done a good job there, also with the darkness of the wood and rope...looking good !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:16 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

wow, those tusks look really great! what technique did you use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:53 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Valdor wrote:
wow, those tusks look really great! what technique did you use?

Thanks guys. This is one instance where the pictures may be making it look better than in person. I don't think the blending on the tusks is great per se, but it does look good. I did exceed my expectations on how I could make it look like natural ivory. As I said, I'm quite pleased with how he's shaping up altogether.

I just used a series of slightly lighter paints. I started with very thin layers and as I got to the top highlights, I used slightly thicker paints to get more streaking and a bit more texture.

The colors where Khemri Brown (foundation), Khommando Khaki, Bleached Bone, Skull White. I had blending of each of those in between. probably 6 different paint combinations where used to build it up.

Haldir_sfan.pl wrote:
Nice work BrentS. Even ver nice I like how the skin looks, though Howdah could use some smoother blending.

I do agree with you on the blending of the Howdah. Its probably the biggest weakness of the painting overall. I had a hard time trying to see any color change when I was going for a smoother blend. The red/green colorblind eyes were really hurting me in that regard. In the end, I just went for a more "dramatic" highlighting. This is new approach for me so I wanted to see how it turned out.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:28 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
The red/green colorblind eyes were really hurting me in that regard

Me too I only found out about it when I joined the Airforce (not that it stopped me)...but it's only real fine shades of pink and pastel greens that throw me out.
I finished my tusks with a thin 'milk coffee' colour wash, once dry I added another until I was happy with the result. I only used GW guides as what not to do, thier tusks were just too white and the beast looked as if he was made of stone.
He's looking great, I'm keen to see the whole package on the base.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:40 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Quote:
I do agree with you on the blending of the Howdah. Its probably the biggest weakness of the painting overall. I had a hard time trying to see any color change when I was going for a smoother blend. The red/green colorblind eyes were really hurting me in that regard. In the end, I just went for a more "dramatic" highlighting. This is new approach for me so I wanted to see how it turned out.

Don't try to paint with pure red from Citadel Range it's waste of time ;) If you don't have any other (TAmiya/Vallejo etc.) try adding just a touch of schorched brown and try to avoid highlighting with white, use bleached bone or some shade of gray. It will result in smoother effect plus colour will be more unique ;)

www.independent-painters.blogspot.com/
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:10 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

good job on him, i really like him :D
he just needs some warpaints, that will totally finish him, well done!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:36 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I finished the Mumakil, at least enough to enter the conversion contest at the GW.

Unfortunately, participation in the contest was pretty minimal in that I was the only real entry :oops: On the good news, that means that I won, I got my choice of a new Harad item - so I picked up a Mahud King Blister. They did say that the conversions I did were a lot more involved than anything else that they were seeing at the store, so I likely would have won even if there were more entries.

Here are the final pictures I took:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:06 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Well congrats on the win and a great looking 'mini' im sure this guy could win most instore competitions. Looks really great.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:36 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Well slap me thrice and hand me to me mother.

I am in awe of this piece. It is utterly fantasmagorical in every way imaginable. The conversions are splendid and not over bearing while still being really effective, and the incredible paint job you have given it really do the model justice. The way you have painted the skin and the howdah are just terrific, and the great war tattoos really make to comprise a great great model.

Be really proud of this piece.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 424 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 22  Next