All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Oct 03, 2024 7:31 pm

Post subject: Wanderers, Wayfarers and Warbands in the wilds.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:34 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi All,

My first topic amongst aspirational company. LotR seems to engender a historical element to hobby work, beyond that of most titles.

I've been a long time hobbyist, some 25yrs, focussed on Warhammer products - specifically Warhammer Quest and skirmish 40k (small forces, not pitched battles).

So I have a penchant for tactical games and bands of heroes.

With the demise of Warhammer proper, I sought out something new and found myself back with GW, reading LotR Hobbit SBG after watching two likely lads demonstrate a game on Youtube. Quite surprised such a smart game had passed me by. When I read about Warbands, I was hooked.

To start with, I'm not overly wild about the established characters - their story is told, I wanted to evolve a series of characters into their own "fellowship" and explore the Southlands, edges of Mordor and so on. As Aragorn put it, ‘Deeds will not be less valiant because they are unpraised.’

Beginning this new project I've been dabbling with a handful of Wood Elves and High Elves. Being a converter I've not left my figures be.

Meet the young heroine, a Wood Elf ranger:

Wood Elf base, Perry Empire parts, GW High Elf quiver, scabbard 40k Dark Eldar.

All slightly large accessories, but just on the right side of workable. I chose the large quiver after seeing how large the Harad were - liking the idea she's carrying enough to last her more than one encounter.

The Raven token will signify when she is using a special trait and the arrow token will note when she is using bow over sword; mostly thematic reminders of things I declare.

The head that I had removed from the Wood Elf, I added to a Galadhrim warrior as the beginnings of another character, because I liked the expression:

I'll be using a small amount of sculpting putty to finish his hair, in addition, I'll be adding some beads and a couple other accessories to his belt line yet.

You may note the plastics seem, sharper. I carved and cut into details to deal with the soft edges and lack of definition in several places. I won't worry so much with general figures, but for these characters, it was essential.

Lastly a small group of Minas Tirith warriors came my way:

Naturally, I immediately swapped parts. Adding a leader with Arnor heirloom helm (Perry empire 5th edition Warhammer plastics), a bannerman with a favourite Empire banner peice, and lastly a horn blower, though I may likely change this to a roundel horn later.

In future, recolours of famous faces with slight changes to make new heroes, and a few other conversion ideas lie ahead.

So for now, I'm testing some schemes on the easily abused High Elf plastics, and take it from there. I'm going to go for a whispy Alan Lee vibe - which might be too desaturated, but lets try :)
 Post subject: Re: Wanderers, Wayfarers and Warbands in the wilds.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:45 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Good start....good luck. Keep posting.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:52 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'm liking the conversions, keep 'em coming :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:42 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Really liking where this is going. Great conversions too! Keep on updating.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:08 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

What head is used for the female elf? Also, have you tried/heard of the battle companies rules. Based on what you described, I think you would find it most agreeable with your preferences
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:43 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I totally agree; battle companies would be a perfect way to showcase your beautiful, creative conversions. I really like the elven head swap, he looks like a great start to a captain of Lothlorien. The Arnor head swap is a great idea for those who can't get the metal versions anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:30 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks everyone, a light start, given the talent that roams these halls.

@Nevinsrip - Thank you sir, no luck here, just Fate Points ;)

@Crucium Giger - Indeed I shall, plenty to be inspired about here on OR

@Thrasops - Cheers :) I'm a bit of a plastic carver, with putty being my last resort, makes for subtle conversions.

@Jdizzy - The head, which I forgot to discuss, my bad, is from Statuesque Miniatures Female Heads series. However, be sure not to buy the "Heroic" heads. ;)

@GreatKahn - Battle companies! Yes, argh (facepalm) - that's my inference, not "warbands" - so yes, completely agree and intend to head down this path. :)

WWWW - CONTINUED..

My first bit of painting in a over a year (I was away sailing professionally previously), has been a rendition of High Elf warriors from the opening scenes in the Lord of the Rings movie. I always liked the antique brass appearance. The later GW painted models seemed garish and offensive to Alan Lee's desaturated aesthetic.

So I set about finding some inspirations:

Naturally, the battle line in LoTR in Mordor

The armor on this bust settled my opinion on the armor colouration.

The first renderings of a test battle company, to learn the rules; five warriors:

Using a black undercoat with a white respray overhead for preshading. Then a very finite selection of colours; in fact the wheat green colour used in highlights, was the lightest shade used for every colour.

Reintroducing a style of paint washes I once used with much success on heroquest figures, I completed this troupe in 2hrs, details being picked out over another hour, last night, after I started this topic.

Bases will be flat 2mm discs, with the usual flock and grasses. But that's for when I have the whole company complete to do as one.

Next, a character.

Last edited by Seb on Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:53 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Amazing piece of work.

I shall go and buy one of those sprues soon. High relevant to my interests!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:18 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Location: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rustedplate-Studio/916409111739905
Wow, grate colours scheme for those elves, i always want to achieve that movie look 8) !
Nice job

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rustedpl ... 9111739905
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:11 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Your conversions are stunning! Would it be possible to write a brief guide on how you painted the Elven armour?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:52 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I agree with Constantine. I do not believe I have ever seen any one paint their elven armor so close to the movie's own colors. It looks really good.

I actually remember getting frustrated with trying to find a color recipe for that exact armor when I was younger, to no avail haha.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:59 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

GW offered an "official" way of painting the clothes and armour, when they released their Elladan and Elrohir (armoured) figures. What we see in the film is a result of colour correction - the original GW colour scheme is heavily influenced by early production stills.

However, to get that greenish armour, you make a mix of Goblin Green + Whatever that main Gold Colour used to be called. (I want to say the mix is 2 Gold 1 Green). You add in silver to the mix. So you get this palish, bronze-y but still vaguely gold looking colour.

The inner cloak and kilts are a blueish grey - black, codex grey and regal blue, with fortress grey added as highlights. You can get an almost identical effect using Vallejo Model Colour turquoise and black, using a 1:1 mix and just working up the turquoise.

The cloaks are complex. They used a mix of dark angels green and gunmetal colour (whatever that dark metal paint used to be called), with codex grey highlights.

Painting all that on a not-very-detailed high elf model is insanely tricky, mind. But the results are gorgeous, if you do it right.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:54 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I really like your elves :)
Armor as in the movies!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:23 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Must resist the urge to repaint elves with new scheme...

Not that I don't like the deep blue and muted gold scheme but your stuffs is quite nice too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:43 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Wan Shi Tong wrote:
Must resist the urge to repaint elves with new scheme...
Not that I don't like the deep blue and muted gold scheme but your stuffs is quite nice too.

Me either, though I am reserving the blue for the officers/characters - leaving this all green theme for troops. Not exactly Elves per photos, but Elves in movie, yes. :)

Allvater wrote:
I really like your elves :)
Armor as in the movies!

Thanks Allvater! What I was after :)

aelfwine wrote:
GW offered an "official" way of painting the clothes and armour, when they released their Elladan and Elrohir (armoured) figures...But the results are gorgeous, if you do it right.

Thanks for the info. Gives me good ideas for the leaders. :)

Feanorthenoldor wrote:
I agree with Constantine. I do not believe I have ever seen any one paint their elven armor so close to the movie's own colors. It looks really good...find a color recipe for that exact armor when I was younger, to no avail haha.

I will post up my how to shortly :)

Constantine wrote:
Your conversions are stunning! Would it be possible to write a brief guide on how you painted the Elven armour?

Thank you! Most certainly :)

aelfwine wrote:
Amazing piece of work. I shall go and buy one of those sprues soon. High relevant to my interests!

Thank you Aelfwine :) As a starting set to practice painting - they were very forgiving and came up nicely.

EDIT: This image, without the movie filters set my mind on seperating blue from troops and leaders:

Last edited by Seb on Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:56 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Movie High Elf Gold

Quite simply.. this is all I use..

Paints:
Citadel Shining Gold (This one is showing my age)
Waagh Flesh
Army Painter, Strong Tone Ink

Begin with a figure that has been black basecoated, then white spray preshaded from above/angle; I apply a slightly diluted Shining Gold carefully across all armor. This dilution should go on smoothly, yet still apply good coverage in a pass.

(This version of Shining Gold has always irritated me with its slight green tint - however many years later; it's perfect for this project.)

Once dried, I then water down Waagh Flesh into a slightly translucent pigment "wash", applying and guiding this into armor grooves. Ensuring none goes elsewhere over cloak and so on. The Archers pictured are at this stage, notable particularly about the gauntlet scales.

You can see the wash has receeded away too far on the Elf's (Bottom left) left shoulder armor, this will need to be retouched.

I then reapply Shining Gold to edges, and broader surfaces (helms) as if 'polishing' up the item, this is why the helms appear to have a deep green patina and the more central portion of the chest appears new. Very obvious on the Elf's helm, pictured below, far left.

You can see original Shining Gold on the sword guards, compared to the washed armor of the Elf.

Lastly, I apply watered down Strong Tone to edges against capes, about the shoulders and neck. Anywhere I want darker shadow. This is entirely to personal preferences. This is reasonably visible in the brown about the neck and hoods of the Elves.

Paint sourcing? good question.
I believe Cote'D'Arms offer the original Shining Gold in their range. Waagh Flesh may have survived the recent GW renaming. Army Painter Strong Tone, readily available.

In future I may drybrush a very light Shining Gold across the capes to simulate the sheen pointed out to me earlier by Aelfwine. I hope this helps, fellow pointy ears.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:44 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I have been thinking of purchasing some of army painters strong tone. How does it compare to citadel's washes, say devlan mud?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:10 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Not trying to be smart, but simply put, it is my new Devlan Mud.

I can apply direct for Strong Tone as it suggests, or water down to really subtle inking - as per the hood shadows on my High Elves, that very subtle shade of brown inside the folds.

Dries nice and matte, gathers to recesses well. <-- super important imo.

Hope that helps. :)

Last edited by Seb on Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:29 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

That is exactly what I was looking for.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:00 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

@jdizzy

Top stuff, glad to help.

This weekend I tried out a black basecoat only, using brush. It was fun, but yah - I do like my white sprayed highlights.

Eowyn from the Helms Deep set:

Image Image

Highlights were a bit heavy; should blend them more.

Next I believe I'll work on some of my converted models :)