All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Oct 03, 2024 9:27 pm

Post subject: Re: Dwarf Holds
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:33 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

As for archers, if you like charging across the field, Dwarf Archers are a great 1st line of defence since they can close the gap and shoot. They can kite pretty good too.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:57 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Slythar wrote:
As for archers, if you like charging across the field, Dwarf Archers are a great 1st line of defence since they can close the gap and shoot. They can kite pretty good too.

But they only have Shortbows. The Rangers add 6" range for just 5 pts, they are much better. Though this is the only way to use Dwarf Archers, if you insist on taking them.

And how are you going to kite with 2.5" movement a turn?

:puppy:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:16 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Rangers charging across the field as a 1st line of defense get killed. Enemy archers will eat them up along with common Strength 3 infantry. The extra 6" range means nothing in this case. Dwarf archers you can leave exposed.

The Dwarf Archers kite other archers since they will want to be within half distance to hit on 6's rather than 6/4's.
Assuming your ATD/Heroic Shooting, that's plenty of movement to kite. You can't kite otherwise (whats an extra 1/2")

Shortbows is not a big deal if they are in the front. You lose 3" if you hide them in the gaps in your second line anyways so its not as far back as you think. Dwarf Archers have a practical use and since Dwarves won't have numbers, a utility like bows and Def 6 is quite handy alike the Osgiliath Veterans.

If the front line gets mashed, they achieved to solve another weakness which is movement (getting in the fight). Plus if they face an enemy that likes to sit back, Dwarf Archers can Herioc Move till within range, hold the line till the rest of army arrives.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:28 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

What the heck do you mean by "kite"?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:34 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Draugluin wrote:
What the heck do you mean by "kite"?

To shoot,withdraw, shoot, withdraw, and so on until your enemy is either dead or spread out enough to get splattered.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:01 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Slythar wrote:
Rangers charging across the field as a 1st line of defense get killed. Enemy archers will eat them up along with common Strength 3 infantry. The extra 6" range means nothing in this case. Dwarf archers you can leave exposed.

The Dwarf Archers kite other archers since they will want to be within half distance to hit on 6's rather than 6/4's.
Assuming your ATD/Heroic Shooting, that's plenty of movement to kite. You can't kite otherwise (whats an extra 1/2")

Shortbows is not a big deal if they are in the front. You lose 3" if you hide them in the gaps in your second line anyways so its not as far back as you think. Dwarf Archers have a practical use and since Dwarves won't have numbers, a utility like bows and Def 6 is quite handy alike the Osgiliath Veterans.

If the front line gets mashed, they achieved to solve another weakness which is movement (getting in the fight). Plus if they face an enemy that likes to sit back, Dwarf Archers can Herioc Move till within range, hold the line till the rest of army arrives.

You don't charge your archers across, you hold them back to unleash hell!

But you want to be within short range too, which requires another turn of marching, so they kite you, instead of the other way around.

It is far more usefull to just get some proper combat troops and some proper archers, instead of these, who do both a bit, and as a result fail in doing either.

Why don't you just Heroic Move the rest of the line up?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:32 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Well we all know that archers are rarely ever worth their value but we always seem to need them somewhere. My experiences are different so I'll agree to disagree.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 3:55 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I don't play dwarfs but is there any thing wrong with Drar's Hunters for your archer, the ability to ambush appearing behind the enemy acting both as a distraction and negating shields seems good even if you lose a turn of shooting. The woodland pathfinder would also add some variety to your army as well, or is the extra 45 point cost (i have priced Drar as a captain) to much because it doesn't seem that much.

I've not included 'Take Aim' as I don't think it's worth the point of might (never use it when I use Haldir)
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:19 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Well, GW values might at 25 pts, so when you get a captain, you basically get a free point of fight and courage. Drar has 3 might, if I remember correctly, so you're only actually paying 20pts for the upgrades.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:05 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I hadn't noticed he had three points of might (massive facepalm), which only goes to reinforce my point for 20 points there seems to be some quite a few really helpful benefits.

Last edited by ElfGeneral on Sat May 12, 2012 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yup, Drar's Rangers are the best Dwarven archers, followed by Dwarf Rangers (take these in a small army), followed by Dwarf Archers, followed by Ered Luin Rangers.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:57 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I wouldn't consider Ered Luin Rangers as archers, they don't have bows if I remember.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:07 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Draugluin wrote:
I wouldn't consider Ered Luin Rangers as archers, they don't have bows if I remember.

The only thing they are good at (of sorts) is ranged attacks with their throwing weapons, so I would say they are more like arches then like close combat troops.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 5:56 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

True, they can ambush and chuck their str 4 weapons.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:48 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Draugluin wrote:
True, they can ambush and chuck their str 4 weapons.

At only a very short range.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:02 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

anyone used Floi yet? Is he any good? worth his 90 points?
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:00 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I've never used him but he seems like he's easily (very easily) worth his points. The Ancient Lore fortune which costs 25 points does the same thing once so on that basis alone as long as you use this ability 4 times you've made your points back.

The Loremaster ability does cover quite a lot of uses nullifying any kind of bane, Expert rider, Pathfinder, Prowler, Skilled Rider, Spirit Grasp, Spirit Walk or Terror on one formation each turn. The variety of things would make him useful in most situations and against most opponents Angmar and Spirit grasp comes to mind, but you could also nullify the 100 point dwarfbane weapons fortune for an entire game or really mess up an elf player with Pathfinder, Terror and Expert rider being nullified just when he needs them. Also as far as I can tell he doesn't need a line of sight or even be close to the unit he wants to effect meaning you can keep him safe and away from combat.

Not that you'd want to with resilience 2 and fight 5 he should fare alright against most captains in a heroic duels and his Epic Renewal and Defence would help any unit in combat (Renewal can be done over twelve inches so he can still hang back if needed). The combination of him in some Khazad Guard giving them defence 9 with Epic Defence and neutralising whatever problems that may come up (Winged Nazgul would look a lot less scary without spirit grasp up against defence 9).

As far as I can tell your buying a captain (50 points) and then getting two Epic actions and a good special rule for 40 points. These special rules allow him to play a supporting role instead of/as well as just a captain by neutralising special abilities, increasing a units defence and being able to give might to where it is needed

He is a definite for me and I think I might ally him to my Gondor army
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:33 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Tnx for the quick reaction and for the great advise, i can't wait till i have a change to use him!

Cheers