All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Oct 03, 2024 4:27 am

Post subject: Gulavhar, the Terror of Arnor
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:05 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Just wondered if anyone has used this piece in WOTR? I'm thinking of buying the piece to paint up because I like the look of it, but what's it like in battle? Looking at the stats it looks quite good ( free heroic Fight) but the Defense 5 bothers me a little, is he easily wiped out? Anyone had success playing the piece?
 Post subject: Re: Gulavhar, the Terror of Arnor
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:26 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I have used Gulavhar, brilliant piece, destroyed 300pts of Dwarves in a single turn. I love Gulavhar, I will be using him again next Friday. He can cause enough damage to wipe out the enemy, or seriously cripple them so they don't have enough attcaks to kill him, that and striking in the flanks or rear, with Heroic Fight. Super piece, I love him every time I use him.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:38 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

How did he destroy 300 points of Dwarves? What happened? Also with Defense 5 how does he last so long?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:42 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

He destroyed 300pts of Dwarves, single-handedly (he'd be even better with support, as I intend to do next time) through a Heroic Fight, Epic Strike and a lot of 6s. He lasted so long because the Dwarves had fewer chances to hit back, they did put a couple of wounds on him, making him easier to kill later, he was killed, but he earned hi skeep, woth support, he would be even better.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:49 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

How do you menover him around the board? I bet you have to be constantly aware of bowmen and magic?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:58 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

If I want him to cross one side of the board to the other, I move him across the back of my army, as close to the edge as possible as that is out of range of all archers and spells, and some artllery. So yes, you have to be very careful otherwise he is an easy target. Also, you have to try and make other thhings in your army look dangerous, such as using several large blocks of Carn Dum Warband with Ringwraiths in them and Buhrdur behind them, if you don't have something scary-looking enough, just keep him as far away as possible ntil he can get into position. When coming in for the attack, you should make sure you do so when you are going second, and then when you're oponant has moved, move Gully out from behind his bodyguards and, if possible being the enemy formation, especially archers and magic-users formations, so they are less of a threat later, if you somehow cannot reach the rear, aim for the flank instead, nver face them head-on. If you are forced to move first next turn, then instead of fighting, pull back for aturn and let the meat-grinders do the work, or if you're feeling luck, attack alongside them, but chances are doing that would result in Gully's death. This may seem rather analytical, but Gully requires more careful thought than most things.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:58 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

A tactic that has worked well for me is to pair him with Ghostly Legions/Riders. Use the Ghosts to screen him while you advance, and then have him fly around to get a flank or rear charge on the turn your ghosts move in. The free Heroic Fight and Epic Strike let me eat an entirely healthy Mumak in one turn.

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:30 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Sounds good but I play a MM army and was going to Ally gulavhar in so wouldn't be able to play the goasts as well, I was just trying to figure out if allying him into my MM army would be a good idea and worth the 200 points in a 1000-1200 point battle
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:42 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I have used gulavhar against dwarves, he is awesome, check out my battle report:

http://eastgrinsteadwargamers.blogspot.com/2011/10/wotr-battle-report-dwarves-v-angmar.html

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:10 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Great job by the way, the armies look so nicely painted. Although its reading your battle reports that's putting me off buying the dwarves as they always seem to be defeated big time.
Gulavhar looks such a nice piece, I do love the bigger pieces, and the kings champion you have painted looks epic
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:26 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Dwarves are fine, you just have to work out what your fighting and how to fight them, the kings champion is a lovely model. The battle report shows how the dwarves can be beaten, they should have held the ground and let angmar come to them, and make sure the flanks were protected, Gulavhar is awesome though!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:13 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Leonardis is correct, Dwarves are very tough and the King's Cahampion is generally excellent, it's just Gulavhar is awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:15 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Gulavhar is quite impressive- the others have mostly covered what can easily be said. I'll just include that you should stay far, FAR away from any magic user who has spells of spirit-baning, because the spells of command will eat Gulavhar for lunch. And do watch out of the Epic Shot father-son duo- that sort of thing will turn Gulavhar from deadly model into flying monkey ala pincushion.

Oh, and leaping on hordes of normal warriors, or things that people put captains in is a very good idea. Epic heroes just don't do well for Gulavhar's digestion.