All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 4:42 pm

Post subject: 750 pts competitive tourney army ( gondor )
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:46 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

My local gamesworkshop is hosting a WOTR tournament at the start of janurary next year. The manager loves wotr the most out of all the gw game systems and wanted to give it more attention (hooray for wotr players). I was very pleased to hear this.

The problem is i have never played a 750 army before, all my other armies have been 1000+. to help you help me, ill tell you what i have.( well i have all ready orderd this stuff from my local independant retailer cos he gives me 15% off :D and should get the stuff tuesday)

6 coys of WoMT (actualy i have 8 companies)
3 coys of archers
6 coys of KoMT
3 Coys of SKoDA
9 coys of gondor rangers
2 gondor trebs

i have the black root value command with their cpt.
and i was think radagast would be a good ally.

Pls suggets heros as i had already planned on purchasing a few anyway.

dont forget about allies this pts limit will allow for 187 points of allies. Also if you know any crazy super uber combos that are legal still, let me know so i can exploit them, after all this is a competitive tournament and lets face it I want to win. so thats all guys, love it if you could help me with a list that you feel will be very competitive, even if i dont have the troops still suggest what you think is best.

thanks

Last edited by IM A ENT!!! on Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: 750 pts competitive tourney army ( gondor )
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:08 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hi Im a Ent, that's a lot of Rangers and Cav!

I don't know that there are any really sneaky Gondor combos and it's conventionally a list that does well when you focus on the tough 25pt troops and and the better value heroes - I'm thinking Faramir and perhaps Isildur as someone like Elphir of Dol Amroth at this points level. I have been thinking that Aragorn plus one or two of the Elven Twins could prove very useful as well through putting terror in the mix while also letting the force be quite flexible. Aragorn has the advantage that any unit he joins becomes a lot more lethal and he is always a serious threat to any other hero out there. Ont he other hand - one black-dart can see him off (I had that happen last night - record of my loss forthcoming. :( )

I wouldn't recommend either the Trebs of the SKODA at this points level. Though admittedly the new SKODA do look cool! :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:10 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

How's this?

Faramir - 90pts
Radagast (allied) - 160pts
Warriors of Minas Tirith, four companies - 100pts
Archers of Minas Tirith, three companies - 90pts
Rangers of Gondor, three companies - 90pts
Knights of Minas Tirith, shields, four companies - 120pts

Totals: 750pts, five formations, fourteen companies, seven Might

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:57 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Drop the shields on the knights and have 2 formations of 3, I've found (through playing against them) that they are more dangerous that way.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:49 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

That's what I've found with them too. The WOTR designers clearly watched Faramir's charge scene in ROTK over and over and over. Gondor players should too, until you can stop thinking of MT Knights as something that can and should take a hit.

http://youtu.be/YXntvSePgJo?t=1m12s

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:29 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Xelee wrote:
Hi Im a Ent, that's a lot of Rangers and Cav!

I don't know that there are any really sneaky Gondor combos and it's conventionally a list that does well when you focus on the tough 25pt troops and and the better value heroes - I'm thinking Faramir and perhaps Isildur as someone like Elphir of Dol Amroth at this points level. I have been thinking that Aragorn plus one or two of the Elven Twins could prove very useful as well through putting terror in the mix while also letting the force be quite flexible. Aragorn has the advantage that any unit he joins becomes a lot more lethal and he is always a serious threat to any other hero out there. Ont he other hand - one black-dart can see him off (I had that happen last night - record of my loss forthcoming. :( )

I wouldn't recommend either the Trebs of the SKODA at this points level. Though admittedly the new SKODA do look cool! :)

I was also thinking of the twins very cheap and effective. Aragorn will be great for herioc dueling those nasty enemy spell casters i think also becasue he has epic challange which is nice. BTW i have so many rangers becasue i got two box sets for $35 at my local independant store, usualy a box set is 55 in aus, so 110 for 2, i got a bargain.

Im also hesitant to include the swan knights and a treb or even 2 trebs, will see im having a practise battle agaisnt a 750 list and ill include the trebs to test them.

General Elessar wrote:
How's this?

Faramir - 90pts
Radagast (allied) - 160pts
Archers of Minas Tirith, three companies - 90pts
Rangers of Gondor, three companies - 90pts
Knights of Minas Tirith, shields, four companies - 120pts

Totals: 750pts, five formations, fourteen companies, seven Might

I agree with the 8 companies of WoMT split into 2, was thinking that myself. But i was also thinking of making the rangers black root vale and utilising their long bows and given them galadrim longbows for each game, or even put them in terrian for ambushing. thanks you for the list.

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
Drop the shields on the knights and have 2 formations of 3, I've found (through playing against them) that they are more dangerous that way.

I dont think i would drop the sheilds, alot of troops in wotr are strenght 3 that means they will need 5's to wound my knights, but with shields they will need 6's, unfortunatley it doesnt effect strength 4 dudes. Still i also agree on the 2 formations of three coys of knights.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:33 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

opps forgot to say thanks for replying people, more suggestion welcome.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:25 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I dont think i would drop the sheilds, alot of troops in wotr are strenght 3 that means they will need 5's to wound my knights, but with shields they will need 6's, unfortunatley it doesnt effect strength 4 dudes. Still i also agree on the 2 formations of three coys of knights.

Have you watched my film yet? :lol:

Losing the shields nets you a whole another coy of troops. Essentially, you want every last model you can pack into the army, at this points level. I'd suggest the same goes for the Blackroot Vale guys - they can be cool but if you have then then I suggest you spend less on Epics to compensate. I'd suggest that Epics are a safer bet, though not Radagast in this case.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:00 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Elros of numenor is actualy who i will be playing agasint, actualy he will bring his dwarves and lend them to another mate. We will do some bat reps, which elros should be writting.

Dont count on all this 100% though, dont want to disapoint people.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:52 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hey guys ive come up with a couple of army lists for the tourney. just tell me what you think of this one for now.

3 coys of WoMT.................................... 75 pts
3 coys of WoMT.....................................75 pts
2 coys of WoMT.....................................50 pts

3 coys of KoMT......................................90 pts
2 coys of KoMT......................................60 pts

Borimir( note no banner upgrade ).............. 175 pts
galadriel lady lothlorien............................175 pts

desperate heroics fortune..........................50 pts

total...................................................750 pts

right thats it, some of you may have already noticed that the two epics( very strong epics) together are 350 pts, which means 50%(roughly) of my force is going to be heros, not to mention the fortune bringing the cost for the three up to 400 points. This may seem ridiculous as I know most WOTR players would never spend more than a third of their forces on heros, where-as im spending 50% of my force on heros :shock:

to balance this out i have choosen only common formations and as many as possible with no missle units, this army is probably looking very unbalanced at this stage, and I know, its for a purpose. Im going to be highly aggressive with the force.

I could have 2 formations of 3 coys of knights, however i feel its safer to drop one company to allow for all the rest to have shields. the problem is that I dont like having 2 coys of knights it risky and vunerable, so i thought of putting them with the 3 coys for a combined force of 5 coys. The dilemma is this restricts mobility and only allows for one movement of cavalry when iIrealy want 2 moves. Meaning I want the cav to be flexable and move around sepratley. you let me know?

These tables are only 4 foot by 4 foot, pretty small. My plan is ( i hope nobody else here is reading this and going to the tourney :oops: ) the plan is to deploy both cav formations (or just the one as 5 coys if i decide), to deploy as close to the enemy as possible. If i win prioity i will let the enemy go first. After his move I will move my cav the full 10" and then call an "at the double" to hopfully move again another 10", for a total of 20". I have worked out that cav will always have a minimum of 8 " charge. this being that cav get a 6"+d6 and you must get a minimum of 2 or the charge stalls, being 8".

So my cav in turn one at the minimum could charge and fight an enemy at 28" away. But not just any enemy, my targets are going to be strong heros and spellcasters, and thats where trusty borimir comes in. Borimir with his truck load of might will call an heroic charge, epic duel and epic strike all at once :rofl: , this will allow for my knights to get their much needed charge and the epic duel/strike combo should secure bormir fortune agaisnt the enemy hero and the carnage for the their formation.

So thats the first turn with borimir already deciding to nuts with his might....... well i suppose that would be my fault. But theres a reason, Galadriel is going to restore all 6 points of might for borimir when he needs it, through the use of "desperate heroics" fortune. My intial idea was to use pipin as he is cheap, but decided that galadriel is a far stonger and useful hero without might than pipin is. As you all know the fortune will mean that galadriel will lose all her might (that being only 1 as im not stupid enough to waste all 3), however galadriel has "touched by destiny", so she is still able to call epic actions and I intend to do so. This makes her very useful as she has restored 6 might and is still pumping out epic actions, like epic defense to put my defense 7 formation up to defense 9 (lol im pratcily going to be running very tall silm dwarves with swords and spears haha).

So the job for borimir will be to kill important enemy targets as fast as he can going nuts with his might store, and galadriel with restore all them back for him probably about turn 3. As said galadriel is NOT renderd useless becasue of her sacrifice of might, she will be harassing the enemy with magic and calling epic defense every turn. The rest of the army with be played as tactily as possible, depending on how the games go. So basicly the whole strategy relies on the shoulders of 2 very strong heros one being magical and the other being the big bad brute running around with a truck load of might.

thanks for reading, and what do you reaking, flawless aye? haha jokes

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:07 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

50% of your force on epics is not unreasonable, if you have a 'strategy' to use them, and the remaining troops are hardy enough tonot be cut down around you.

"If i win prioity i will let the enemy go first". If you mean at the start of the game/setup thats fine, but after turn 1 If you win priority you have to go first, you can't choose to go second.

Your plan otherwise is daring/bold and often is used by Rohan forces... get that cavalry into action asap. Beware though of course for enemy pike phalanxes and enemies hiding out in defensible terrain. If you get the chance try out your list against someone if you can who is not in the tournament or possible, if you have another faction, play a game against yourself and see if you can see any potential pitfalls.

But give it a go, its the kind of list that i like, built around a plan, and I think you will have some success with it.

Taking the War in Middle earth to a new level!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:04 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

daersalon wrote:
"If i win prioity i will let the enemy go first". If you mean at the start of the game/setup thats fine, but after turn 1 If you win priority you have to go first, you can't choose to go second.

Yes he can, you are confusing WOTR with SBG, in WOTR if you win the roll-off, you choose who goes first, it isn't automatic.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:35 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

daersalon wrote:
50% of your force on epics is not unreasonable, if you have a 'strategy' to use them, and the remaining troops are hardy enough tonot be cut down around you.

Your plan otherwise is daring/bold and often is used by Rohan forces... get that cavalry into action asap. Beware though of course for enemy pike phalanxes and enemies hiding out in defensible terrain. If you get the chance try out your list against someone if you can who is not in the tournament or possible, if you have another faction, play a game against yourself and see if you can see any potential pitfalls.

But give it a go, its the kind of list that i like, built around a plan, and I think you will have some success with it.

ok thanks i had planned to play someone however they may be in the tournament which could cause problems so i might match them up agaisnt my mordor list. Thanks for the advice and encouragement, i will definatley watch out for the pikes and such.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:36 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

daersalon wrote:

Yes he can, you are confusing WOTR with SBG, in WOTR if you win the roll-off, you choose who goes first, it isn't automatic.

thats the good thing about WOTR, prioity rolls make more sense.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:50 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I agree with you on that.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:36 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

daersalon wrote:

Arg indeed... never believe someone quoting a rule at you in a tournament without fishing out the rule book it seems.

Taking the War in Middle earth to a new level!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:52 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

oh no...did that happen to you?