All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 2:22 am

Post subject: Re: gondor needs help!!-a grisly end
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:38 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

NotLegolasJustTipsy wrote:
Did your friend play Aragon, Thranduil and Haldir? Just wondering because I play MM and wondered how you managed against those epics?

Yes I did play aragorn , Thranduil , haldir . The elves did a good job really nearly killing the mumak on their own the mastery 2 was effective , and the dragon couldn't make a charge for one turn thanks to their terror ability . But the way my opponent play his dragon really put aragorn out of the game , as he constantly used it for flank attacks. Its official I don't like dragons :o
 Post subject: Advice on elves
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:53 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Xelee wrote:
Jazlotus wrote:
Well DocDeath, what can we say? Another Grisly defeat this evening at the hands of the Super Goblins! I think you should start collecting Elves!!!!

That's a bit harsh, Elves seem to have a very distinct shelf-life in that they definitely have their tricks but the solutions to those are relatively straightforward and once-burnt, twice shy.

Just wondered if someone could explain the above quote, I'm thinking about collecting elves slowly for a second army , aren't they very good??
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:45 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Firslty i think we can all agree that by spamming core troops like WoMT you will have a more competitive army than having a few companies of grey company with some special rules, although it is still fun to do so.

D0Cdeath wrote:
Just wondered if someone could explain the above quote, I'm thinking about collecting elves slowly for a second army , aren't they very good??

Doc, I havent ever played as elves in wotr but i have had my fair share of fighting them with my shiney and valiant Gondor force. They are a great army to play agaisnt! you know why becasue you out number the heck out of them all. You dont have to worry if your versing fight 6 or 7 elves when you have 3 x as much troops hitting right back.

Elves are expensive troops in wotr becasue of their special rules, ie, terror pathfinders master. Not to mention great shoot values, fight vales, courage values and they move 8" which is 2" more than say WoMT.

Those special rules look great on paper and makes anyone want to collect elevs but in the game its another story. Ok so back to my mate elves.

We would play a game at only about 1000 points, he had i think 3 formations thats it!.

3 coys of High elf cohorts (the spear and shield dudes)
3 coys of high elves regiments( glaive dudes)
3 coys of high elf archer dudes

Gill galad, a banner here and there a cpt and a fortune that brough him up to about 1000 points. Now the problem was that Gil galad was an inapropiate hero for that level of poinst (he is 300 pts! :shock: ) However in combat i defeated the elves as there defence isnt that high, and their strength isnt impressive. I totaly out numberd his army and it wasnt a fair fight.

I think elves are over priced, their special rules arent that helpful, i passed every single terror test( even without heros). If you collect elves i would suggest spamming wood elf archers ( enchanted cloaks) and fill as much of you army as you can with high elf spearmen ( given you +2 defence to the front only for +5 points) and never played gil galad in 1000 point matches, not realy sure what point level he would be good in maybe some eles now the answer to that.

and make sure that you use a spell caster to ruin the enemies courge if you play elves as you want to benifit from that terror.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:47 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

If you want to know, they are dreadful unless structered and played very carefully. Their main formations are serioulsy overcosted and/or underpowered. Don't ever use high elves with glaives.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:56 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
If you want to know, they are dreadful unless structered and played very carefully. Their main formations are serioulsy overcosted and/or underpowered. Don't ever use high elves with glaives.

100% agree with gothmog on every point take his advice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:47 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Elves can be very good, they just need to be played at higher point games, they are no good at 1000point games, but at 1500-2000 points it's a different story.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:41 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Elves can be very good, they just need to be played at higher point games, they are no good at 1000point games, but at 1500-2000 points it's a different story.

fair enough, i havent ever seen and elven army played at those points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:45 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Still only with the right units though, and you can't just plough into your enemy, if you want archers, wood elves are quite decent, sentinels/galadhrim useable. High elves with shields can work, or Galadhrim with shields. Heroes that do well Galadriel, Twins, Haldir and Legolas. Good allies are WoMT and KoMT. ~If requested, I will siscole more info later, if not feel free to ask Xelee or Beowulf.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:48 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

OK all things consider i just have one more question .................. does anyone want to buy any elves? :sad:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:52 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Oh poor Mr DOCdeath, well no thanks, I prefer an army with more fangs and/or etherealness.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:14 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

No Doc stick with those Elves, just make your battles larger, I think the Galadhrim Knights are brill, they attack with4 Dice, and have plenty of magic.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:15 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The Elves have plenty of magic, not the Knights. Thought I'd better say that before someone said something lol
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:12 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Quite, at that points level you had to buy and paint twice the stuff, only to still have it crushed by more points efficient armies - which is every single other army out there.

I think there are good 2000pt Elf lists to be made (as Gmtw says, they will have extensive allies) but they aren't intrinsically any better than 1000pt lists and I worry that (as long as people actually own the stuff) 2000pts of other armies will be very flexible. For ex, I have to make choices with my 1000pt Gondor list but have all manner of things in my 2000pt one.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:16 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Oh and again with this 'spamming'. Proportionately to what I see in the films and read in the books, your armies should be composed of the basic guys, that's what armies usually are.

Anyway, in terms of effectiveness, give me a 30pt Carn Dum Warrior or better yet a 25pt Dunlending Huscarl anyday. :) What were the other two armies I play again? I forget.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:56 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

No Doc stick with those Elves, just make your battles larger, I think the Galadhrim Knights are brill, they attack with4 Dice, and have plenty of magic.

The Knights aren't the best things either, Morgul Knights are a little better and cost less.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:18 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Gothmog, the Knights aren't brilliant, but their're about the best you will get when you play Elves :( :sad: :o :shock: :x :-X :twisted: :roll:

:puppy: