All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 8:15 pm

Post subject: Throne of Skulls 2011 WotR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:14 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Open question really....

Anyone attending the 1500 point WotR Throne of Skulls tourney this weekend (12-13 Nov) at GW Nottingham?

Taking the War in Middle earth to a new level!
 Post subject: Re: Throne of Skulls 2011 WotR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:11 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Wish I was, it's just too far :-( good luck to those that are - hopefully someone might do a battle report with photos ;-)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:41 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I hope to send a few longer details soon then.

However there was sad news. The turnout was again very low. And so GW has decided not to sponsor any future Throne of Skulls events for WotR. This was officially the last one, and we were given certificates as final participants. The staff were saying they may do something when The Hobbit finlly comes out...

But this, the seemingly low take up of WotR compared to any other system, and the lack any real releases for lotr (SBG or WotrR) for a long while, and reading between the lines from staff comments at Warhammer World, suggests we need not wait with baited breath for anything serious LotR wise for a long while... (I only hope I am proved wrong!)

Some snippets.
1. Only 12 participants! (there were only 18, apparently, in the 2010 event)
2. FIVE of the twelve were Isengard.
3. The tournament was won by a Mordor army with all Morannon Orcs and *gasp* five Ringwraiths. They didnt lose a game. (Otherwise, the overall Cheeze level was surprisingly low, though the Gondor 800+ point Grey Company formation with Aragorn, Elendil, Halbarad, The banner, and the counsellor chain of Galadriel and Dain Ironfoot was another contender. heh)
4. Only four Good Armies (therefore 8 evil)
5. An interesting Fallen Realms list with 3 Mumaks, and an isengard list with 5 Trolls. (though a tenchicallity modified this to 4 when the list was analysed)

Everyone had a good time, and good humour and the 'in it together' spirit prevailed.

Taking the War in Middle earth to a new level!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:18 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

daersalon wrote:
But this, the seemingly low take up of WotR compared to any other system, and the lack any real releases for lotr (SBG or WotrR) for a long while, and reading between the lines from staff comments at Warhammer World, suggests we need not wait with baited breath for anything serious LotR wise for a long while... (I only hope I am proved wrong!)

I think GW needs to get much more staff 'buy in' for LOTR. If they have the license and make books/figs for it, they should be selling it and promoting it. Doing otherwise is lost sales.

Hopefully all that has occurred is that the planned releases are all on hold because the Hobbit was delayed and anything said to the contrary is down to the strange attitude amongst some employees that some of what they sell isn't a real product.

On the other hand, while we can definitely expect LOTR, I guess we can't be sure it'll be WOTR. Hope so though :)