All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 4:20 pm

Post subject: Throwing weapons in wotr.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:11 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The book says that models armed with throwing weapons use the strength of the user, has a 6inch range and you get half of the amount of shoots as you have attacks. 8 man company = 4 throwing weapons and rounding up so 5 men would be 3 shots etc.

so for cav this means you would get 1 shot per company firing direct. for both cav and infantry do you get your shoot bonus and supporting companies that are perhaps behind the front comanies? you should or should not? it is after all a shooting attack?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Throwing weapons in wotr.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:39 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

You are working out a thrown shooting attack for a formation.
Direct fire companies get 1/2 attacks rounding up + Shoot bonus. They must have Line of Sight/Arc of Sight/Range
Support fire companies get 1 attack, no shoot bonus. They will not have Line of Sight but must have Arc of Sight/Range.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:14 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Right thank you that clears that up. well a rohan force can be quite deadly at close range especially ekanbrand's riders with strength 4! and you get to move shoot and most importantly charge! rohan are better than i thought. The reason i asked was becasue im finishing a 1500 point 40k army( black templars) and my freind finishing his IG, any way we both decided to reach 1500 points of an army then move onto lotr, so im intentley focusing on the wotr book for rules and armies.

rohan is now one im serioiusly considering( since I have some models from 4 years ago too).

My mate is going for dwarfs and were also trying to convince our other freinds who collect just 40k to collect lotr army.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:17 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hi I'm an Ent - good to see you are considering some of the advantages of Rohan, I wouldn't be getting those str4 Rares/Legendaries but the likes of Royal Knights as well as Knights on foot and Oathsworn Militia get a lot of bonus damage out of their thrown weapons over the course of the game.

IMO the only thing really wrong with that list is too many people try to get a Cav list based around Cav without lances to work. More of a combined arms between mounted and inf as well as lance armed Cav can be very effective.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:44 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Xelee wrote:
Hi I'm an Ent - good to see you are considering some of the advantages of Rohan, I wouldn't be getting those str4 Rares/Legendaries but the likes of Royal Knights as well as Knights on foot and Oathsworn Militia get a lot of bonus damage out of their thrown weapons over the course of the game.

IMO the only thing really wrong with that list is too many people try to get a Cav list based around Cav without lances to work. More of a combined arms between mounted and inf as well as lance armed Cav can be very effective.

Too true. Luckily, Rohan infantry by itself isn't too bad if you choose to avoid the cavalry wing (don't know why you would, they're fun to play). Oathsworn Militia are good in large formations, especially if they get a thrown weapon volley to weaken the enemy ranks, and they are cheap. Rohan Royal Guard are a good heavy infantry with better armour and fight value. However, if playing Rohan I'll always advise bringing at least one formation of Royal Knights or Theodred's Knights. The King's Guard is okay on horseback but they are pretty good on foot too if you add an Epic Hero or two.