All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 8:33 pm

Post subject: Re: All monster armies?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:12 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Maybe once the GW will relase this modell, and we ll get the answer. (I dont think so)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:34 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Bastion.HUN wrote:
Maybe once the GW will relase this modell, and we ll get the answer. (I dont think so)

Unless they somehow end up in the Hobbit films, it will never be released

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:01 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

What is the point of making a piece available for the game, like the stone giant and then never making the piece? What's that all about?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:41 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Considering that the only time the giants were mentioned was IN the Hobbit, and that PJ is directing the movies, we'll most likely see "Stone" Giants in both the movies and as a model.

The trolls were mentioned at some point as being made either from stone or like stone. Unfortunatly Tolkien was pretty vague about how Morgoth made his evil creations, or even what they all were.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:42 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Draugluin wrote:
Considering that the only time the giants were mentioned was IN the Hobbit, and that PJ is directing the movies, we'll most likely see "Stone" Giants in both the movies and as a model.

The trolls were mentioned at some point as being made either from stone or like stone. Unfortunatly Tolkien was pretty vague about how Morgoth made his evil creations, or even what they all were.

Why thank you for the correction hehe
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:44 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

NotLegolasJustTipsy wrote:
What is the point of making a piece available for the game, like the stone giant and then never making the piece? What's that all about?

GW (many companies do this) put in “place holders” for things they thought would round out and complete the lists and which they wanted in place as possible expansion items. This lets lists look better on paper than if they only allowed the models currently available and also reduced the amount of work they’d have to do later to fit these in. It also has an advantage that people may provide them feedback, direct or indirect, about which of those un-modeled units they were most interested in and that could help somewhat in judging what would sell better ( do we make an Elf Catapult or an Angmar Werewolf, for example).

As long as they allowed playing all officially profiled units in a tournament or GW store using applicable proxies then I have no objections. TBH I’m more concerned somehow of what GW would give for models of some of those, as they seem to drift to their 40K roots for some things that are not directly pulled from PJ’s films.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:51 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thank you for that very eloquent reply! Kinda makes sense that Beowolf. So I guess in the meantime if you wanna play say the stone giant you gotta make one yourself?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:55 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Beowulf03809 wrote:

GW (many companies do this) put in “place holders” for things they thought would round out and complete the lists and which they wanted in place as possible expansion items. This lets lists look better on paper than if they only allowed the models currently available and also reduced the amount of work they’d have to do later to fit these in. It also has an advantage that people may provide them feedback, direct or indirect, about which of those un-modeled units they were most interested in and that could help somewhat in judging what would sell better ( do we make an Elf Catapult or an Angmar Werewolf, for example).

As long as they allowed playing all officially profiled units in a tournament or GW store using applicable proxies then I have no objections. TBH I’m more concerned somehow of what GW would give for models of some of those, as they seem to drift to their 40K roots for some things that are not directly pulled from PJ’s films.

LoME is the perfect example of this. When I first saw it, I was actually excited when I saw the Elven Chariots, until I realized how old the book was and they still don't have any.

I haven't really noticed that any of their new models look like they're from 40K. Which ones did you mean?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:45 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Does anyone actualy use the stone giant? And if so what's it look like?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:09 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

lots of MM players use it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:16 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Does anyone actualy use the stone giant? And if so what's it look like?

I use one occasionally. Great unit, almost always makes his points back. Do sometimes have to overlord a heroic move to get him into the action quickly though.

As for what he looks like, haven't we already don that earlier in this thread?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:21 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

We did partially discuss it, but no one mentioned what they use to represent the stone giant. What do you use FL? Have you made your own?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:49 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

ForgottenLore wrote:
I use an oldish D&D mini that I have (A fomorian) that works very well.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-TLttug-taEs/T ... morian.jpg

A Warhammer Fantasy giant put on a round base (I think 60mm would do) would be a most excellent stone giant.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... prod840934

From the first page of this thread.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Ahh sorry
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:22 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

When we were discussing the fact that GW stores / tournaments don't allow non-GW LotR products on their tables a lot of times, so your proxy options are limited, I said you should just throw a Samwise figure on a 60mm base and say he's your Stone Giant proxy. Maybe it would get them to actually make the model. :P

I really like this as a non-GW alternative...just don't have one yet.

www.majesticbear.net

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:31 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Nice giant, like the look of that one!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:01 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I have a confession!!! i am the aforementioned one whose troll swarm got blasted by Druzhag & Saruman :( & while I will say that their was very bad form played on the part of mine adversary who was making illegal moves during the move phase, the fact remains that i did place them with less thought than was required to keep them alive & let my assault go forward, but i digress...
I have a question for the original poster. can you define "monster heavey" for me, how exactly do you mean that? are we talking about just enough infantry, cavalry etc. to be legal or would there be a large number of monsters supporting & supported by a fair number of non-monster formations?
I am currently working on expanding my Misty Mountains army to its finishing touches & it thus far includes:
8 Misty Mountain Trolls
Buhrdur
2 Mordor Troll Chieftains they make my Misty Mountain Trolls sooo much more deadly :twisted:
2 Shades
& 1 Mordor Troll Drummer (I may or may not acquire this Troll, 150 points is alot to spend on shared 1 inch increase in movement, H2K & stats that only meagerly better than a Misty Mountains Cave Troll for half the points :x

Regardless, I wanna say from personal experience that a "monster heavey" army with reasonable support can work well & be alot of fun, one of the the main things you are going to want to focus on is the means you're going to use to get them into combat. You will likely have to give them screens to allow them to get into combat properly, but once in... tis grand :o
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:29 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

DurinsShade wrote:
I have a question for the original poster.

Oh, that's me. Topic has wandered so much, hitting so many subjects I forgot I had even started this.

Quote:
can you define "monster heavey" for me, how exactly do you mean that? are we talking about just enough infantry, cavalry etc. to be legal or would there be a large number of monsters supporting & supported by a fair number of non-monster formations?

Like I said in my original post, what I am thinking about is a variant army list. Not an army made with one of the current 10 "official" lists but a variant where I pull different units from different lists and create a new list around a particular "theme", specifically Trolls.

The only non-monsters I can think of that would be in theme are the Half-Trolls from the Fallen Realms list. So it would be everything in the book that is Race:Troll plus Half-Trolls plus the Stone Giant (because I really see the giant as just a VERY large Troll like creature.

My original question was not "How to make a monster heavy army" nor was it "Are monster heavy armies competitive", it was whether such an army would be fun to play or would the inherent weaknesses of monsters make it TOO easy to kill?

Let me repeat, the idea is to create a fan made, 11th army list and my question was whether 2000 points of all trolls could even last to the end of the game.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:56 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

ahhh, I see
can an all-Troll army long survive a full game?
I'd say no. if it were meit'd be simple enough to just focus down one or two at a time (at least) & make very short work of them, a serious amount of luck would be needed for the trolls to survive long :(
let's say we took this list, just a decent little theoretical list?
150 Mordor Troll drummer x 1
200 Mordor Troll Chieftain x 2
150 Isengard Troll Captain x 2
75 Misty Mountains Cave Troll x 8
100 Isengard Troll x 1
250 Stone Giant x 1
125 Buhrdur x 1
here is a reasonable (considering the idea, anyway :twisted: ) list given the 2000 point mark. It aint promising, really :(
8 Cave Trolls provide some cheapish numbers that are still fragile & slow despit the speed boost from the Troll Drummer & the boost from the Troll Chieftains.
Buhrdur is capable of ambushing for fun, could be a critical difference at the right time but it would be VERY dicey.
Stone Giant is obviously the beatstick, & will be summarily focused, but could give the lesser monsters a chance to get in & do their thing, might happen, but 2000 points of opposition is alot, to endure for 16 models.
5 "mighted" monsters totalling 11 might & the Chieftains on their own, buying as many as 48? I think... possible heroic charges as totalled from each Chieftain calling heroic charges under optimal circumstances (not gonna happen, but you'd get quite a few, either way :twisted: lol)
This list would be alot of fun, that's just the truth of it, successful... well, it'd be fun, right? lol

I do love to field Trolls, Eagles, Shades, etc. I prefer the H2K/VH2K, personally...