All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Oct 03, 2024 1:21 pm

Post subject: 1250 Misty Mountains
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:18 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

So after a good run with Angmar I want to try a new army. So I'm thinking of this list:

Durburz-70 Points
Druzhag the Beatcaller-100 Points

7c Moria Prowlers w/Goblin Drum-215 Points
3c Moria Goblin Warbands w/Bows-60 Points
3c Moria Goblin Warbands w/Bows-60 Points
5c Giant Spiders-175 Points

6c Gundabad Blackshields-120 Points
Cave Troll-75pts
Cave Troll-75pts

Thrydan Wolfsbane-50 Points
Khamul-125 Points
The Tainted-125 Points

1250 Points even

Thrydan goes with the spiders to give then ATDs and an Epic Strike. Khamul goes with the Prowlers to mitigate casualties. I know Trolls are slow, but it seems like they could show up late to the party and help clean house if they don't get shot(in which case they are not shooting my Prowlers or Spiders).
 Post subject: Re: 1250 Misty Mountains
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:26 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Looks alright.

I am concerned about putting a hero in with your spiders though. Giant Spiders are INCREDIBLY fragile, but then I usually don't start with them I only have 1D3 summoned companies, so maybe 5 cmps, deployed where they have some shielding will last longer.

Khamul in the prowlers I like. The key to Khamul is making sure he bounces hits onto things that are more expensive than the troops that are dying in his formation, and it is hard to get cheaper than goblins. My only concern there is that prowlers like to sneak around and try to avoid attention so that they can maybe get in a flank charge, and Khamul tends to attract a lot of attention.

I'm not sure I see the value of using the Tainted over some other wraith. Goblins don't really have a whole lot that goes against the enemy's courage and, quite frankly, with our troops it is almost always the goblins who "lose" fights (even if we kill twice the point value we still take more casualties) so it is generally more important to buff your C rather than limit your opponent's.

I enjoy playing Misty Mountains quite a lot (except for putting the figs away at the end of the night, soooo many goblins), hope you have fun with them.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:32 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Khamul in prowllers is basically a Mordor tactic usic two-handed orcs, but as all evil armies have 20-25pt two-handers it is something that any evil army could do if they wished. I would like your chances with that list but you could, if you wanted a monster swap the cave trolls for a spider queen. Replacing the Tainted with another wraith might be an idea as you don't have spirit grasp or bezerkers, what about the Dark Marshal, the Knight of Umbar or the Betrayer? Your list as a whole looks better than good though to be honest, I see you have as many Blackshields as you can fit in.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:44 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I'm not that worried about the possibility of Thrydan dieing with the spiders. He is the same cost as a captain, so is basically a captain(with ES :lol: ) that they could not origially have.

On the subject of spiders, they look quite amazing. I know they are fragile, but if they hit a flank, that formation is dead. S5 with Prowler and Poison? Sign me up.

I have the Tainted because he has been very useful in my Angmar list; and not just for Spirit Grasp either. It's amazing how much sh*t can hit the fan for your opponent when his Heros' courage is out of the equation(except for stinking pointy ears). Terror tests, Transifx, Visions of Woe, Rallying, the list goes on and on.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:36 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Spiders are about the ultimate glass cannon. I use Druzhag to summon them all the time, behind the enemy even a single company can cause noticeable damage, so if you can pull off a flank charge then yeah, they are going to be worth it.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:50 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

If you go against rohan then Thrydan will do a good job...
Spiders as cavalry with Thrydan will also help you a lot. 8)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:54 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Theme-wise I don't like the inclusion of Thrydan, especially leading spiders.
It just smacks of being 'gamey', but if thats how your playing group plays, so be it...

I woud swap out the trolls. Yes they may get there late as such, in shieldwalls, and still do some good, but in Maesltrom or Battle for the pass, chances are they'll get left way behind and its 150pts wasted... I would agree Spiderqueen is a better option. Or how about some wargs with a wild warg chieftan?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:42 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yes it is gamey but if it that that he wants let it be.