All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Oct 03, 2024 9:16 am

Post subject: 1500 Mordor list for Campaign
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:06 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hello All!
Ok, so it's a list for critique and comment. This is designed for use in a tournament. The rules for the tourney are:

No more than 2 Epic Heroes.
Epic heroes that are part of a Battlehost may not leave their formation to join another if it is not part of the host.
Epic heroes may not join a formation in a Battlehost unless they were taken as part of that host.
If Epic heroes are 'killed' during the game, a table will be rolled on to see if they are captured (Become an objective next game), injured (miss a game or two), unharmed or killed.
There will be restrictions on changes that can be made to lists after the tourney has started.
Missions and objectives will be randomly generated.
Make the most competitive list possible within the restrictions, don't put on the kid gloves, make the arny as deadly as possible!

So, bearing that in mind, here's my list:
The Gorgoroth Orc Horde (w/Banner and Drummer) BATTLEHOST [380]
2 x Siege Bows – 100 RARE [480]
Gothmog - 110 (590)
Khamul – 125 (715)
Morannon Orcs W/Shields [5 coys] with Captain (joined by Khamul)- 175 COMMON (890)
Black Guard of Barad Dur [3 coys] (Joined by Gothmog) - 150 RARE [1040]
Isengard Troll Chief – 150 RARE, ALLY [1190]
Isengard Troll Chief – 150 RARE, ALLY [1340]
Mordor Orcs W/Bows [2 Coys] – 50 COMMON [1390]
Mordor Orcs W/Bows [2 Coys] – 50 COMMON [1440]
Mordor Orcs W/Bows [2 Coys] – 50 COMMON [1490]

Khamul Joins the Morannons (hence the captain, for extra might), Gothmog Joins the Black Guard.

I've gone for Isengard Trolls as allies, since they have the high D and might of a Mordor Troll Chieftan, but don't really lack anything that makes the Mordor beastie worth 50 points more.

The Gorgoroth Cheese horde is the backbone of the army, since it can do pretty much do anything. I intend to do lots of damage with its shooting (Had very good effect with this before), but have included full command options since I've found this to be usefull in the past; you want the GOH to be able to do whatever you want it to do under all circumstances.

3 three sets of 2 companies of Mordor Bow Orcs make up the Common requirements. However, together, 6 Coy's worth of bows can cause damage, but these units can also screen and march block too as necessary, possibly taking a charge intended for another unit, or tying up enemy units so The Trolls, or Black Guard can get stuck in. Each formation's only 50 points, if they die, meh, doesn't matter too much!

For the most part, I intend to cause lots of damage with shooting to soften up the enemy, wait for them to come to me and counter-charge with units like the trolls and Black-Guard. Since they can at the double, The trolls can protect the flanks and counter cavalry and infantry attacks. The Horde will deploy in the centre of the table, bringing as many bows to bear as possible right from the off. Khamul can use his magic to make the Morannons a threat, and their Captain will make lend the wraith some much needed additional might.

Any comments are welcome!
 Post subject: Re: 1500 Mordor list for Campaign
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:55 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Orcs bows are cheaper than what you got listed so you got enough points left over for 2 more coys of Orc Bows. Drop the captain and take Thrydan or use the extra points from Orc bows and take Durburz.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:57 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The Gorgoroth Orc Horde requires you to take a Captain and a Taskmaster and as said your archhers cost less.

Assuming you change the Horde to make it legal, you made some good choices, Khamul & Gothmog, Morannon Orcs, Black Guard are awesome if you get the charge, Isengard Trolls rather than Mordor ones for competetive purposes. (The extra 50pts is for Troll Charge & Inspiring Leader (Trolls) neither of which you need)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:44 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for the replies!
So, the prce of The Gorgoroth Orc Horde includes the Captain and Taskmaster. Since they're not optional, I didn't list 'em seperately, only the Banner ande Drummer who are additional costs.

I'd love to Take Thrydan or Durburz! I Think they'd be useful. But I'm only taking the Captain so Khamul's got some extra might, if I take Thrydan, I'd have to drop Khamul, and I don't wanna do that, 'cos it'd defeat the point of having those extra might points in the first place! Ditto Durburz; I think Khamul would be more useful. I really want to take him for his magic, and survivability, since heroes could be taken out if they 'die' in the game! If I was considering swapping out a hero, I might consider exchanging either Gothmog or Khamul for The Witch King or another Wraith, with some creative point-shifting, but ultimately, I wouldn't swap either for Thrydan or Durburz.

But I am indeed wrong about the archers, and do wonder if there's some creative points wrangling I can do that'd be benficial. Perhaps drop The Horde's Drummer and get another 2 company set of archers? All in all, I am quite happy with the list...we shall have to see how it performs!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:10 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hydraface wrote:
So, the prce of The Gorgoroth Orc Horde includes the Captain and Taskmaster.

No. The Battlehost requires you to take a captain and taskmaster, but you still have to pay the points for them as normal, just like you have to pay the points for the rank and file companies in the hast as well. The point cost for the host only includes the stuff under the "Special Rules" heading. The stuff under the "Battlehost" heading is what needs to be bought and paid for in order to take the 'host at all. So in this case you must buy 12-18 companies, a captain and a taskmaster, then you can pay the points for the 'host and organize them into the Gorgoroth Orc Horde (and buy any other legal options for them, like the Banner and Drummer)

Last edited by ForgottenLore on Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:29 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Yeah, I know. I included the points into the Battlehost, and didn't except them from the overall cost because they are mandatory. 380 covers the points of a minimum 12 companies, the points cost of a Captain, the points cost of a Taskmaster, the points cost of a Banner bearer, the points cost of a Drummer, the points cost of a Captain, plus 75 points for the rule. I didn't list the Cap and T.M. as being seperate to the Battlehost, because they are an integral part of it.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:42 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

in any mordor army i would try to put sauron in if you own him, he's a killing machine
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:49 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

neptonianpoker4 wrote:
in any mordor army i would try to put sauron in if you own him, he's a killing machine

Not in WOTR he isn't, ok for fun games but not competetively.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:15 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I think that since orc formations are so cheep u can afford having sauron in ur army
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:41 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

It's not just his cost in itself, 500pts is too high for him, he's too easy to kill, even when used as a sniper, he could roll badly with dice and that 500pts down the drain. 4 Ringwraiths would be more powerful, or even to Winged ones. Compare Sauron to a Balrog or Dragon, or even to the cheaper Giants and Mumakil.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:00 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

That's real and even if you get the ring you can be easily get killed...