All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Oct 03, 2024 3:23 pm

Post subject: Planning 1500 point Mordor
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:50 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hi, I want to built an 1500 point WOR mordor army. I calculated a lot, what could be good enough. Here is the result:

6C Morannon with shield+drum+Gothmog 275
6C Mordor orc with shield 120
3C Black guard of barad dur+cap+bann+drum 250
7C Warg with shield+cap+ban+taskmaster 285
4C Orc Tracker 120
2C Siege bow 100
1 Troll 100
1 Fellbeast with the shadow lord (maybe) 250
_______________________________=1500 p

What do you think, is it hard enough to destroy the enemy? :orc: :orc: :orc: :sauron: :orc: :orc: :orc:
 Post subject: Re: Planning 1500 point Mordor
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:41 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Godo one but i think removing command models would help you make it's size greater...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:56 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I like the command models. At the double, reroll, these effects are neccessarily. And gotmog extra power will help me to kill all rohirs. I suppose an 1500 point rohir army have a lot of infantiry. Their charges are dangerous for my infantiry.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:29 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Any else oppinon?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:44 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Id drop the drums, the trackers, and maybe the taskmaster

if you want bows get ride of the trackers and take orc bowman, I don't think the points on the trackers are worth it IMO. then use the extra points for the drums and trackers vs orcs for more orcs. :)

just my thoughts but in 1200 point games if my orc units have 4 companies they are solid enough so I like to have more companies that are a little smaller vs large ones, in case one falls apart you don't loose so much of your army (get disordered and cant recover)

Id also drop the troll and add as an ally the troll hero Buhrdur, good value for another 25 more points than a regular troll.

Not that your list isnt fine, you just asked for some opinions and I was sharing what I would tweak for my taste is all.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:37 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks. Yes, this list is not fine, its just a concept. The reason why I want to use trackes because they shot value is 4+, and they can ambush. Maybe I could change the troll for orks. Anyway, there is a fell beast.
I think the taksmaster for the warg team is nesseccarly, cause their captain courage is only 3. 4 is better, I think.
I cant bring Buhrdur, cause our houserules are that we cant bring a creature from another army. Only the good armis could borrow from Forgotten Kingdoms.

Hey guys, what do you think about the Morgul stalker warband? They can ambush, they are strong, and they have enchanted cloacks.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:19 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Can't use allies? Wierd. Good Job Mordor has just about eveything you need! I was gonna pretty much say what Smaul has said. I wouldn't favor the Stalkers. I'm not too keen on ambushers as a whole. their usefulness is dependent on the state of the board, and the terrain they can use. If they can ambush, their cloaks arelikely to be useless, but if they are using their cloaks,...they're not ambushing! I'd also agree about that lonley troll. He can easily be picked apart by artillery or ranged shots before he can get anywhere. While command teams are useful in some cases, I consider having might and stat boosts on the upgraded versions of monsters to be very much worth the points in pretty much any situation. To this end, I'd replace the trackers and Troll with another wraith on Fellbeast. It'll fulfill the role of the trackers and the troll by being a big scary creature, but can attack at range (Spells), hit hard (it's a monster!) and get where it needs to be right away (high movement and at the double, 360 degree charge)

Personally, I favor Morgul Knights over Wargs. They hit very hard, cause terror, are very tough...they can do what Wargs do, only better! Take The Dark Marshall, and they're a common choice, which is great. The only thing they can't do is shoot, alas. On that topic though, Siege bows are amazing! I've found they're very, very effective, I'm writing up a 1500 list with 4 in! Also, Black Guard? They're great! I love the models, great fun to paint, and I've found them to be very effective in combat.

At the end of the day, if there are units you want to field because you like the concept of them, or the models in particular, or because you have a theme you want to stick with, that'd be the best army to collect! The above are my recommendations for an effective force (and it should be pointed out, IMO, that the Battlehost The Gorgroth Orc Horde is THE most effective thing that can be fielded in the entire game if you want to win!), but if there are certain things you want to take for the simple reason that you'd find it fun and you just want to do it...that's all the reason you need to do that thing!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:29 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I just picked up two boxes of Morgul Knights so havent had the chance to use them yet.

Wargs have never done well for me, to low a defense, and adding bows for the few shots you get with them is worthless in my experience.

Also painting up to companies of black guard so looking forward to adding those based on your post Hydraface.

I use Khamul and the Dark Marshal when I play 1000 points or more, with Gothmog.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:53 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks guys. I dont have morgul knights, so I cant bring them. Now Im sure, that I will left the troll, and maybe I will choose 4 shielded moranonn. Maybe I leave the warg captain, and I buy another seige bow.
Its important, that I want to defeat rohan. Who plays with rohan, that guy is very smart, he plays long time ago. He teached me too. And now I want to defeat him, like an apprentice his master :frodo: :gollum:

He played an 1500 point game a few weeks ago, so now I know almost his army list. Im spying :-D So he use an ent, 3x5 company horseman, maybe, royal knights I think. As I can see on the pics, there are 2x4 simple warrior, and two company bowers. He use these heroes: Eomer, Theoden, Erkenbrand.

Im afraid of the heroes-horses charging. That is dangerous for the infantiry.
So here is my new armylist:

6C Morannon with shield+Gothmog 260
6C Mordor orc with shield 120
3C Black guard of barad dur+cap+bann+drum 250
7C Warg with shield+ban 230
3C Orc Tracker 90
2C Siege bow 100
2C Siege bow 100
4C morannon with shield 100
1 Fellbeast with the shadow lord (maybe) 250
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:12 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I wish you luck

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:39 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

good or bad let us know how it goes. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:24 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I know I'm late on the feedback but a Troll Chief is very effective. I've used it a couple times, most recently in a large game ( Battle Report available on my site http://www.tac-me.net ). They can ATD, are great at Dueling and can decimate multiple Companies of foes, especially if you can get in a flank or rear charge, before they can strike back. Regular Trolls aren't very useful as H2K really is a liability, but the VH2K and extra Defense of these make them survive pretty well. In our game last weekend he killed more than twice his value in Dwarves easily before being taken out by a ballista. The Troll Chief also works great against cavalry as Monsters strike first. So even if he charges you (unless he has a one of the specials that allow his Formation to strike as a Monster) your TC will get his hits in first.

Warg Riders with bows aren't very useful in my opinion, but with shields I believe they are. They are not heavy cavalry but in Formations of 3-4 companies each they can zip around pretty easily and get in some flank/rear charges when their Prowler special rule really helps them nail some kills. A captain does help but isn't required. With his highly mobile force you could use the small Warg Rider Formations to preemptively charge his cavalry and then, when they're nailed down, charge with your infantry. Robbing him of those extra 6 dice really cripples cav.

It's very nice to see a Mordor list that doesn't just clone the basic couple themes that are the easy way out. You may have to play a couple games to get used to how your force plays but I think you can do good against Rohan with that. The siege bows and trackers will help soften some of his Formations and may even distract him to diverting resources to killing them rather than going after your infantry. And never forget that if you can get into some defensible terrain he's really got a problem as cavalry loose their bonuses and you gain some extra defense to boot.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:35 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks you comment!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:45 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

6C Morannon with shield(+Gothmog)(6x25+110) 260
5C morannon with shield(+cap)(5x25+50) 175
7C Mordor orc with shield (7x20)140
3C Black guard of barad dur(+cap+bann+drum) (3x50+50+35+15)250
7C Warg with shield(taskmaster+bann) (7x25+25+35)235
3C Orc Tracker 90
2C Siege bow 100
1 Fellbeast with the shadow lord 250

I thought a lot about my mordor army list, and here is my new, and I hope the last idea. In this list there is 192 infantiry, and 14 cavlary modell, so this will be a really huge army. I didnt count my collection yet, but I hope I have enough figure in my store. If not, I must buy another Morannon box.

Anyway, what do you think guys, can I defeat the muster of Rohan?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:48 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Unless you're afraid of bow fire from a hill the shadow lord on Fellbeast won't be necessary, so its something to think about. The WitchKing is actually quite good because he can stay behind the line, fly out, cast spells and fly back and all your units will pass on the double and terror tests. Plus his three might can snipe hero's out. Maybe even take the Dark Marshall to keep your armies courage high which is seriously lacking and do spell sniping. I really like the Fellbeast behind the line in a supporting role till their army shrinks then fly out and take out archers/siege/large formations.

I'd also reduce your company sizes to 3 or 4 companies. You need some gaps in your line for your Siege bows/archers to fire thru. Plus large formations in a line cannot defend against a flank for a very long time. You'll be kicking yourself as you lay helpless in the later part of the game.

Trolls do quite well to counter calvary so putting them on your flanks is quite effective.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:59 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I like your oppinion. Maybe I will cut my huge formations to smaller.

How does this fly out- fly back effect working? With at the double? I read the its rules, it says, if the witch king is behind the line, they pass the tests. But how far behind?

I choose the Shadow Lord, cause I really afraid of the bows of rohan. I want to use it for swoop attack.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:36 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

My friend calls it the Stormtrooper Move like the Germans ability in Flames of War. Fly out in front of the line, cast your spells and on the double back.
How far back is loosely defined so it should be discussed before play. I would treat like being off-side in soccer (or football in other places). If the Witch-King is ahead of the line then he's off-side, otherwise he's behind the line.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:08 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Oh my, oh my, I cant decide again. I wrote a new army list with witch king and fewer army:

5C Morannon with shield(+Gothmog)(5x25+110) 235
5C morannon with shield(+cap+drum)(5x25+50+15) 175
4C Mordor orc with shield (4x20)80
3C Black guard of barad dur(+cap+bann+drum) (3x50+50+35+15)250
2C Orc Tracker 60

5C Warg with shield(Mouth of Sauron+bann) (5x25+100+35)260
2C Siege bow 100
1 Fellbeast with the witch king 325

I really like the spellcasters, so maybe I shoud use the Mouth too, I like his smile. Or maybe I shoud bring a troll instead of Mouth. Its hard to decide, vote :roll:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:27 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Other Sniping units you could use are The Necromancer, The Nine are Abroad and the cheap Twilight Ringwraiths (if they can stay outside 6" its doable since their tray is 25mm)