All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 5:20 am

What size of table do you play on regularly?
4' x 4' 25%  25%  [ 6 ]
4' x 6' 46%  46%  [ 11 ]
4' x 8' 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
4' x 10' or more 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
6' x 6' 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
6' x 8' 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
6' x 10' or more 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 24
 Post subject: What size of table do you play on?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:00 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'm just wondering what do you guys commonly use. I don't have much space at home so I have to play on a 4' x 6' table, usually 1200 points max.

I have a new hobby shop nearby so I tried a 6' x 6' table, kinda neat although if you are short not the greatest thing. My other friend has a pool table in his garage and regularly plays on a 4' x 8' table.

Terrain wise I really don't have any set plan. We just wing it everytime and play.

Post subject: Re: What size of table do you play on?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:53 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I don't really tend to think of 6'x4' as a 'small' table. That is the size I play pretty much everything on, whether at the club (where we have bigger tables) or at home. I think the depth offered by 5' table width is worth having but actually find reaching the middle to be too much bending over the course of a couple of games (eg an event).

If I was playing 1500pt WOTR, I'd want to be playing on 8'x4' - though not for Battle for the pass.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:16 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The tables at my local store are all 4x6 or 8, so that is what we usually end up on. I would very much like to play larger games, 2000+ points on a 6x6 or even 6x8 as I think WotR works well with lots of room to move those large formations around.

I would also like to have larger defensible terrain features available, a topic somewhat related to table size.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:29 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Our tiny kitchen table can handle just a 4' by 4' board but I'm buying an extendable dining table that will be 8' long when fully extended. I doubt I would enjoy playing on a 5' or more deep board since I'm not very tall.

-- Pasi
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:13 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Depends on points: 1500 always on 6x4 because that's the GT limitation and it's more than enough for 1500pts game. Army selection is about making choices and if you find yourself struggling on a 6x4 for space, then you're doing something wrong. From 2k onwards on bigger, whatever is available.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:30 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

6x4, and we typically play 1500 points. However, I think 8x4 is optimum. manouvering your forces is a vital part of the game that adds to the fun, and I think an 8x4, if you can use it seems a bit more 'right'. Anything over 1500 has to strongly consider an 8x4 imo. It can depend a bit on the armies that are participating; armies with less units canb enjoy a smaller board, two horde armies may want the larger pitch to avoid it become a straiht up scrum.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:17 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Most of the tables at our store are 4x8. For smaller games (many SBG games up to 750pts) we'd divide in half and can play two 4x4 at the same time. For WotR we mark off at 4x6 for a lot of games (the extra couple feet are good for staging your force and holding your books) but use the whole table for games at 1500 or larger.

Our club has pushed tables together to make 8x8 for big 40k games but as I'm just over 5'6" myself I'm not too keen on playing a table larger than 4' wide.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:25 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

we play 6x4 cuz that is what the rules suggest

good to see some comments on 8x4 as we have considered that as well

does that really mess up battle for the pass or no?

steve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:14 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I don't accept that the GT is any kind of reasonable standard, tournaments are a pretty narrow selection of the playerbase as a whole.

For battle for the pass, I think it would make a lot of sense to stick to 6' long. FWIW, it is the board layout I like least in WOTR anyway (big swings in what armies work well) and why I came up with an alternate version.

Just to throw it out there, big games on big boards are what I love most about this system and I wish I could play them more. Buckets of dice or no, WOTR makes for some cool mass battles! :)

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:29 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I would think 4x8 would be plenty for me, give that extra flank area, but one of the things I enjoy is by turn 2 you are in the thick of it with many units already.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:08 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

We have the scope to play on my 12' x 6' table though rarely need that space for our games as forces are still too small to need it all. However it can open up a lot of room for manouvre, on the flanks.
Problems can arise in some games though like Maelstrom if too small forces are used on big table, they just take too long to get to objectives, especially slow moving troops like trolls with no ATD.
Other problems with playing on too wide a table, whilst looking good and allowing plenty of space for deployment, can allow 'shooty' armies like elves too much space to keep falling back and shooting (and obviously a greater distance for enemy troops to try and move to catch them), basically giving them extra rounds of fire they would not have had on a smaller board.

Obviously we can 'chop' this board up to allow smaller playing surface, and side space for books, casualties, drinks etc etc...

I hope one day to be able to play a very large game on this table 3000-5000 points per side, and really give WOTR a whirl at the size I belive it is designed to be played at, rather than limiting it to the 1000 to 1500 point battles people most often seem to play.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:15 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

And here I was thinking 4x6 was too small. I find once we are at a 2000 point game its a little cramped or maybe its just my kitchen.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:26 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

jscottbowman wrote:
Other problems with playing on too wide a table, whilst looking good and allowing plenty of space for deployment, can allow 'shooty' armies like elves too much space to keep falling back and shooting (and obviously a greater distance for enemy troops to try and move to catch them), basically giving them extra rounds of fire they would not have had on a smaller board.

Elven shooting too effective when they have more turns due to depth? I don't know about that... viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19452 :)

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:08 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Xelee wrote:
jscottbowman wrote:

Elven shooting too effective when they have more turns due to depth? I don't know about that... viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19452 :)

Cheers

LOL! You always seems to have the opposite experience to what I do with this game, perhaps I should move to Christchurch and experience it South-Island-style? :roll:

Scott

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:34 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hi Scott,

I am reasonably confident that probability is the same on the Kapiti coast. Elven bow still hits your shieldwall on 6/4s up there, so if you tried that, it should work.