All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Oct 03, 2024 2:32 am

Post subject: Wargame Etiquette
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:04 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I was wondering what was common for wargame etiquette so I took off around the net and gathered some information. Of course most of these are known just by experience but some are interesting.

My question to One Ring members is 'What sort of etiquette do you expect when playing WOTR or SBG?

1) Polite treatment of the opponent
No one should call the opponent names.
Shaking hands before and after the game.
Roll a d6 in the case of a disagreement.
Ask/answer any questions.
Have fun, roleplay abit and make it the most enjoyable game ever played.

2) Army lists
Have an army list ready, which is easy to read, legal and understandable.
Once you've seen your opponents list, don't change your list to counter it.
If you have units in ambush or a Fate/Fortune talk to your opponent about a fair way to keep them secret. Write down on a piece of paper what it is and/or where they will ambush when sprung.

3) Gaming Table

Before any game, discuss the table setup. make sure the terrain does not favour any one side.

4) WYSIWYG: What You See Is What You Get

Make sure to tell your opponent in advance, remind him several times during the game, and maybe even put a short note next to the unit to avoid confusion incase you are using proxy.
Also if proxying make sure the unit looks different then other units. ie. All orcs with shields=Morannon w/Shields, Rest of orcs= Orcs with Bows
Borrow if possible.

5) Moving Units
Only when the opponent is watching (unless he says he trusts you)
During the move, measure and place a marker for where you have moved to and from.
It is good to allow someone to take back moves or let someone move a unit they've forgotten about after moving on.
If going back on a move allow your opponent to decide its original position.
Optional: Don't allow pre-measuring.

6) Dice
Don't roll dice into units.
Declare how many dice you are rolling and what you need to score.
If possible roll them all at once.
Roll dice only when the opponent is watching.
Dice are to be re-rolled if they are fumbled, fall on the floor or do not land flat.
Remove or seperate the dice that have failed, and not the ones that have been successful.
Give your opponent a second or two to see the dice you've rolled and continue when they give the ok.
If the dice are hard to read ask your opponent to not use them.
Do not touch the dice of your opponent.

7) Touching Miniatures
Only after asking the owner for permission.
If they are accidently knocked don't fret. Contact is inevitable in table top games.

8) Fairness
Everyone can forget things or even be unaware of their own army. In friendly games if you noticed something let them know at least once.
Avoid Ruleslawyering
Some players announce that the other player owes them a "gimme" ensuring that the other player agrees to extend such a courtesy as well.
Don't try and weasel your way through the rules. If there is a problem, discuss it rationally, bring in another person who knows the rules, go with the player with the most experience or roll off.

Post subject: Re: Wargame Etiquette
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:17 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Nice idea :) .

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:07 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Pretty close to what we do while playing, except for the shaking hands part. We also allow coming back to previous phase, for example to shoot forgotten shots in the fight phase of SBG if it makes sense in the current situation.

Jervis (the WD Standard Bearer column guy) once suggested to try to play a game so that instead of rolling you let your opponent have his way in the case of a disagreement. Worth trying out at least once.

-- Pasi
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:00 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
Jervis (the WD Standard Bearer column guy) once suggested to try to play a game so that instead of rolling you let your opponent have his way in the case of a disagreement. Worth trying out at least once.

That's how I do it. We all slip up some times but I feel you can look it up later if need be.You will soon see who takes advantage. If some one behaves very badly I do not invite them again.