All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Oct 03, 2024 9:35 pm

Post subject: Lord of Edoras' WIP
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:25 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Greetings.

So like everyone else I have also created a personal WIP thread. Since I'm not new to the hobby, I will give everyone a brief time line of improvement and stuff I've worked on as an intro. Here it goes...

2003-2004
N/A (the age of flat colours and messy drybrushing)

ImageImage

ImageImage

Thanks for taking a look. I'm always trying to improve, so never hesitate if you have suggestions or tips!

LoE

Post subject: Re: Lord of Edoras' WIP
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:01 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I think this gives encouragement to those who are new and shows how you can develop as time goes by - as long as though you try and above all listen to advice.
Nice to have you on board LoE.
The first thing for me wouldn't be the painting but better photos using a white background. That way we will be able to see the figure better, though your latest effort does look good.

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:07 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Location: Before the gates of another fortress, telling those maggots that they have to form ranks!
I think I'm now around 2005-2006 (I'm learning the first not-that-easy highlighting)
But because I'm a fan off converting and diorama's in general, I have ot ask you: could I see some more pics of your diorama's ?
TIA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:03 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Wow, your recent work looks ace. I think I am on par with your '08 work (the figures, not the cool diorama). The sentinel looks amazing and that is the level of painting skill I am aiming for (eventually),

Backlog Reduction Oath Participant - 6/53
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:07 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks all. I will be paining something in a couple of days and will post new pics.

Gandlaf the Grey wrote:
The first thing for me wouldn't be the painting but better photos using a white background. That way we will be able to see the figure better, though your latest effort does look good.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been trying to improve my photography skills, and it hasn't been easy so far. I will keep that in mind.

Raggbur wrote:
could I see some more pics of your diorama's ?

Sure, here are a few. The rim of the display base is exactly how it looks on the first picture - it is red on the Orcs' edge and blue on the opposite side, symbolizing Good versus Evil. Now, after giving it some thought, I'm not as happy as I was with this diorama when I built it 2 years back. Firstly, Glorfindel and Arwen could be better...I've been thinking to picking up mounted Elladan & Elrohir sometime to replace them...OR put this piece on ebay and start from scratch.

...And this Rohan diorama is a scene from Charge of the Rohirrim. The painting is subpar, but I am still happy with the conversion ideas, namely the base shaped of a horse's head.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:02 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

you have really improved in a few years. :yay:
the only critsism I've got for you is the background of you pictures and the sand on you bases, it looks a bit to small for my taste.
looking forward to see more of your work and I would love to see a new edition of that diorama with elladan and elrohir.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:13 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Nice to see how u improve, gives me hope lol :) . I really like your diorama with the horses and the elves.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:52 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Had enough time to paint a miniature this weekend...

Are there any NMM painters here that can give me some advice? I'm having some trouble painting chainmail - the results just don't look right to me.
Thanks for looking!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:54 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

nice painting tough. :) well done

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:22 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Looks good 8) I've done a bit of NMM, but I'm not that good at it yet, especially silver metal. I will still give my opinion though, but I should warn you I've only done chainmail once using NMM, but I am pretty happy with how it turned out.
So first, paint it with a 50/50 mix of Codex gray and Chaos black. Then highlight with pure Codex gray, followed by Fortress gray on the areas where the light would be brightest. Using Skull white as the final highlight, paint it on the brightest spots. Also make sure that you leave black in the holes of the chainmail, as it gives more definition to the model. Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:47 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

It looks very good but as you said the chainmail needs to be improved.
I've never used nmm but there are many others here who have (succesfully) used it.
when the site is restored, you can also take a look at the library.
Great base btw.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:04 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I've never done nmm before, but just from looking at it I have a couple of ideas. It looks a little to blue, I also think there is a bit to many spots highlighted, the blue/grey to white thing doesn't look great to me. I would say try to add more stark contrast. Have the holes black, then have the base colour for the sticking up parts of the mail be a light grey, not blueish though! Then highlight the grey up to white. I basically think that the mail colour change should be more sudden black/dark grey to light grey/white.
edit; it would probably be okay to have it blueish, if it was consistant.

I hope I helped. :)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:28 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I think the lighting was different for the different angles, that is why the chainmail looks different.
I guess that flaw cost me dearly...right now it's sitting at a 4.9/10 on CoolMiniOrNot. Link: http://coolminiornot.com/pics/pics14/im ... 8c78be.jpg
Definitely one of the toughest LotR mini to paint!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:20 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Personally I think that the chainmail looks quite good. I would give you advice on how to improve if i knew anything about NMM, but unfortunately I don't.

Quote:
right now it's sitting at a 4.9/10 on CoolMiniOrNot

If there's any way to get demoralised about your painting, it's by posting pictures on that site. Just keep in mind that those rankings, as unfair as they seem, will place your models against the very best painters in the world. I've seen excellent miniatures (like your own) receive scores far below what they truly deserve, so don't think that it means yours is bad. you could give that Aragorn a perfect tatoo of the Mona Lisa on its nose and still only get a 7.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:31 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The sword is done really good, keep going on that and you will be getting real good at NMM. As for the chainmail, try to find some pics of chainmail on CMON, by looking at NMM pics you can learn quite allot.

And as other said, don't take the point system on CMON that serious. If your mini doesn't belong to a popular system (40k/fantasy) the scores will stay pretty low, unless you have a really good miniature. I've seen allot of sculpts, painted mini's and diorama's stay around the 7point mark just because its the wrong system, or the mini doesn't have any cool freehand so to speak. If I would grade the Aragorn using the 'CMON standards' I think I would give it a solid 6 (6,5). The NMM on the sword is done very well, but IMO the clothing lack some highlights (or atleast as shown on the picture). Also the face doesn't have a real good picture so I can't judge that very well.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:43 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

@ Dannis: you are right. If you search up "space marine" or "dreadnought" and look at some of the result, you wonder how some with flat colours and no details whatsoever could get 7.3. I was going for a darker feel on Aragorn's clothes, but I guess that is not very appealing to the crowd. I will work on taking better close up pictures!

@ agincourt777: thanks for the encouragement. Part of the reason I posted on that site is to get more views on eBay, but I will keep your words in mind.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:52 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi everyone,

Here to present a new project I am working on. I'll keep it short here, since I posted a video showcase on YouTube. Watching a video is always less boring than reading anyways! This is basically a diorama of the final showdown at Dol Guldur - the book doesn't describe the encounter between the Necromancer and the Istari, but this is what I imagined the assault on the fortress to be. Here are a few pictures, and the link to the video:

Work in Progress Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgeO7bFzEWY

Necromancer Conversion:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:11 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Looks like a good diaroma. Looking forward to see that painted 8)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:40 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Looks very cool but i'm not sure about the spell that Saruman is casting, maybe it looks better when painted.

Keep it up.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:56 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Diorama Update. Painting progress done on Saruman, as well as the Necromancer. The Necromancer's blade is actually smaller in real life; from these angle shots they look larger. Modeling still need to be done on Gandalf and Radagast. After piecing all the characters together, I am not so keen on using the Sharkey miniature for Radagast anymore. I want a dynamic pose for him, yet, at the same time need something to represent his more "passive" powers. I'm not sure what I'll do about it, but for now he will remain as the Sharkey miniature. Basically, the modeling that need to be done still are the magic for Gandalf and Radagast. For Gandalf I plan to make a "see-through" wave of energy, projected from his staff like Saruman. For Radagast, I plan to have some leaves floating around him, and some cracks in the ground forming around him.

Anyways, here are some pics of what is completed so far. Again, ideas and comments appreciated! Anything to make this diorama better. :)