All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 6:30 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:21 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Farmer Maggot wrote:
It does sound exciting but I can't see it being released before September/October next year. The new Warhammer boxed game is just on pre-order and I can't see GW releasing 2 core game boxed sets in the same year.

Definately. Also, there would be more than just rumours at this stage (august) if it would be released this year.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:53 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I've been reading through the thread here, on TLA, and on Warseer concerning this new boxed game, and I think it would've made much more sense for Games Workshop to release this close to the time that War of the Ring was originally released. I mean this release doesn't make much sense, its so random, since their standard format is to release a huge expensive rulebook, and then a boxed game a few months later.

Its been over two months since the original post at Warseer, and there is still no more evidence, and there have been no more eyewitnesses to the boxed game in my knowledge, than there was then. I'm not going to outright say that this boxed set isn't real, as GW would be foolish not to create it, but I think that as has already been said, for certain it cannot be released this year, and it MAY coincide with a War of the Ring 2nd Edition release or something along those lines.

Fully speculation, of course. :)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:19 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Is it perhaps possible that it's the Misty Mountains stuff mentioned in the guise of a starter set?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:09 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Joansean wrote:
games workshop really are rather stupid in their marketing. The SBG has a much lower Item need, and is thus much easier to get into. From there, you can introduce them to WOTR, not the other way around.

'Oh, right, you've bought several hundreds of the same troop type, now, you could actually play a rather nice game with 1/10th of that, want me to show you?'

You got that right Sean!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:47 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

It might be due to people not understanding the rules fully and they figured with the success of the warhammer and 40K and I guess MoM starter sets that they would do a WotR set now. As I understand WotR has numerous FAQs than Ive heard for any of the other systems

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:50 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hashut's Blessing wrote:
Is it perhaps possible that it's the Misty Mountains stuff mentioned in the guise of a starter set?

Possible, but unlikely. I would expect it to be advertised on the GW website.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:51 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I agree, but it would make sense and isn't too far-fethced. GW are always trying to keep things under wraps when it maakes sense to advertise like crazy and slip sneak peaks out. Still, we'll seen in 6 weeks' time, lol :D
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:06 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hashut's Blessing wrote:
GW are always trying to keep things under wraps when it maakes sense to advertise like crazy and slip sneak peaks out.

Lol, true. :lol:

Post subject: Re: Rumoured new WOTR starter set
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:37 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

very true hashuts blessing, well worked out
:yay:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:02 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The Misty mountains stuff won't be for a starter set. Island of Blood is out this weekend, so there won't be a new starter set the same year.
Probably not for a year or 2 actually... Wait for next September, or the one after that...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:05 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

if they wait until late next year, then it will begin to coincide with the hype around the hobbit movie (if that stays on schedule) so it could well be that we will see forces from the battle of 5 armies in the starter set.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:03 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I wholeheartedly agree that it's unlikely to be with the Misty Mountains release (for the given reasons of IoB and The Hobbit and so on), but I also think that it won't be a great starter set, if there will be one. I think Misty Mountains would've been quite a cool one though, lol :P
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:14 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The starter set will be great; they always are! Every starter set GW has done has been better than the last with better sculpts/models and more of them at better value for money. IoB is absolutely awesome, have you seen the models?!?! :)

The likelyhood is that it will be Gondor/Mordor based on the intro models currently on GW tables. Or possibly Rohan/Isengard based on what is popular from the movies.
Of course things are likely to change based on when the Hobbit film release finally comes and how the licence with New Line/Tolkien estates dictates what GW have to provide.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:08 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The Hobbit has not even started filming yet, so don't expect it until late 2012 at this rate. Which means that you won't see miniatures for it until October/November 2012.

If people are talking about a starter set in the mean time, it won't be a Hobbit starter set. It literally could not be.

And while Lorizael's enthusiasm is nice, GW's record with the LOTR sets has been a bit lame. Everyone keeps saying "look how awesome they can make their plastics for 40k...!" and then they go and release something like the LOTR wood elves. In other words, they can make awesome plastics for LOTR. They just don't. The plastic Fellowship wasn't terrible, but man that Cave Troll was awful. And the bulk of the models release were Moria Goblins. Again.

So while a starter would be nice, especially something with a rulebook smaller than that brick of a thing we got last year, I don't hold out much enthusiasm for it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:46 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

How old are the Wood Elves and Fellowship? Fricking years old! :)

Take a look at the Galahdrim or Swan Knights for how newer models can and will look. And remember, the LotR licence mean GW can't do too much in the way of convertable models etc as New Line don't like that stuff!

Agreed on the Hobbit: has Jackson even found a new director yet since Del Toro pulled out?! Could be waiting a long time!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:51 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Time for some pessimism: I see no substantial evidence that the Hobbit will ever gain enough momentum to actually propel the project forward enough to even begin filming. The interest is there, but with no director, actors aging, no funding, etc, the Hobbit is now standing upon the edge of a knife. Stray but a little, and it will fail. It doesn't help that the magnitude of the project increased when an idea was adopted to create a second movie to coincide with The Hobbit.

In the same vein, this boxed set does not seem plausible. I'm kinda going against what I said before. The guy got a sneak peak (Warseer) at a boxed set that may not be out for over a year? Why wasn't it released at approximately the same time War of the Ring was? I can see no reason why he would report it if there was no substance to it, but at the same time...it smells extremely fishy.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:28 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Jamros wrote:
Time for some pessimism: I see no substantial evidence that the Hobbit will ever gain enough momentum to actually propel the project forward enough to even begin filming. The interest is there, but with no director, actors aging, no funding, etc, the Hobbit is now standing upon the edge of a knife. Stray but a little, and it will fail. It doesn't help that the magnitude of the project increased when an idea was adopted to create a second movie to coincide with The Hobbit.

I'm also becoming increasingly sceptical about the Hobbit, how many times has the release been set back?

However, I think a WotR starter set will happen at some point, but perhaps not for a while...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:54 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

What the guy might have seen was a product mock up.

Someone decides "hey, we should consider such and such a product" and they create a few products to display. You don't need to make new moulds just, say, use a bunch of studio conversions. The result will be "something like this." Such a potential product might have been requested by marketting, or even suggested by production or design. The "game plan" for the roll out of the product might have been discussed in a few meetings surrounding it. "So we'll take something like this, and make it the official starter set, and use it to replace MoM; what do you think."

The Warseer spy might well have sat in on one of those meetings.

Alas, just because a mock up was made does not mean that such a thing might actually BE made, or that if it is made, that the thing will be released soon. Making a gaming product is a long, and weird, process. It doesn't help that these threads always remind me of Cold War Kremlin watchers looking at hazy photographs from the May Day parade. "The Secretary of Far Eastern Agriculture is having a cigarette! Do you think that symbolises a radical change in Russia's relations with Mao's China?" The truth of the matter is probably that GW makes things up as they go along. Many things are proposed. A few are released.

As an aside, there is nothing (apparently) in the New Line license agreement about multipart models. GW are just not allowed to use Warhammer pieces for LOTR or vice versa. It's merely that GW don't bother doing anything as fancy as their later Warhammer or WH40k kits for LOTR. Hell, half of the time they don't do anything as fancy as some of their LOTR plastics (note the difference between plastic Wood Elves and Easterlings). But there is a world of difference between some newer WH40K releases in plastic and LOTR plastics. The LOTR line is a prestige thing to have, but they don't like to sink all their pennies into the line. Hence "we" get some pretty mediocre products.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:37 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

aelfwine wrote:
What the guy might have seen was a product mock up.

Someone decides "hey, we should consider such and such a product" and they create a few products to display. You don't need to make new moulds just, say, use a bunch of studio conversions. The result will be "something like this." Such a potential product might have been requested by marketting, or even suggested by production or design. The "game plan" for the roll out of the product might have been discussed in a few meetings surrounding it. "So we'll take something like this, and make it the official starter set, and use it to replace MoM; what do you think."

The Warseer spy might well have sat in on one of those meetings.

Alas, just because a mock up was made does not mean that such a thing might actually BE made, or that if it is made, that the thing will be released soon. Making a gaming product is a long, and weird, process. It doesn't help that these threads always remind me of Cold War Kremlin watchers looking at hazy photographs from the May Day parade. "The Secretary of Far Eastern Agriculture is having a cigarette! Do you think that symbolises a radical change in Russia's relations with Mao's China?" The truth of the matter is probably that GW makes things up as they go along. Many things are proposed. A few are released.

A lot of what you've said is what I was thinking...I just didn't say it out loud. :wink:

However, I think GW has missed their opening, based on their precedent. They'd need to release a 2nd edtion WotR rulebook to justify a new boxed game, based on their usual practice. The op at Warseer, cockney_nightmare, seems adamant that what he saw was a wip boxed game for WotR, ruling out the possibility that this could reshape into a series of army boxed sets. But...maybe what he saw wasn't a boxed game at all, and was never intended to be, but someone he was with told him it was. I wish guys with such valuable information would be more detailed. You don't have to reveal any employee's names, just spill a few more beans!

I would recommend to anyone who hasn't already done so to read through the threads of the same discussion at Warseer and TLA (you don't need an account to read through either website's threads).
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:23 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Jamros wrote:
They'd need to release a 2nd edtion WotR rulebook to justify a new boxed game, based on their usual practice.

A 2nd edition would be nice... :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next