All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 6:26 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:17 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

even though i already play wotr i would consider getting it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:33 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Jamros wrote:
In the War of the Ring Quickstart rules, there are two small armies featured for a starter battle, Gondor and Mordor. The Gondor army is made up of 2 companies of Minas Tirith Warriors, 1 company of Minas Tirith archers, 3 companies of Minas Tirith knights, and 3 companies of Rangers of Gondor; the Mordor army is made of 3 companies of Morannon Orcs, 3 companies of Warg Riders, 2 companies of orc warriors, and 1 Mordor Troll. My bet is that this starter boxed set will include forces similar to those featured in the Quickstart rules, if not exactly the same. I'm also going to guess that it will be $99, and GW will severely downplay The Strategy Battle Game afterwards. I think, however, that GW has proven to itself time and time again that SBG and WotR can easily go hand in hand to provide an effective and enjoyable campaign experience, and having War of the Ring sized forces with the rules for both systems would bring in quite a lot of money. That being said, if this boxed set is to actually be released, I'd consider purchasing it strongly, as I've never played War of the Ring, and I'd like to try it, and those models could bolster SBG forces easily.

That does sound like a possible set. But for the same price as island of blood (£60/99 bucks)...maybe not so much.

thats 6 boxed sets of infantry and 1 mordor troll boxed set. Thats £119 of boxed sets (185 dollars i converted that too).

thats insane, I know GW like these big value sets...But not that much!

Nonetheless, I want some Plastic Elites of some kind! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:41 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I think the fact that both Space Hulk (I know, it was a limited edition board game, but still) and Island of Blood were $99 is some sort of indicator as to the new standard price of boxed game sets. I hope that I am wrong, but GW is often predictably expensive. When you examine the contents of Islands of Blood, is it quite clear that buying everything in that set separately would cost much more than $99, but at the end of the day, the box is marketed to those not yet familiar with miniatures, and $99 is a steep price to pay to try out a new hobby.

Quote:

A quick calculation of the contents of the Island of Blood reveals that purchasing the miniatures alone would cost about $360, based on the most comparable miniatures and boxed sets available. Adding in the gaming accessories brings the total to about $465.10. As far as boxed sets go, in order to match the numbers in the Island of Blood, one would need to purchase six boxed sets and eleven blister packs. Its insane value, but even $99 is still too high imo (I feel like $60-$75 is a good range). I think with these numbers, its very plausible that GW would shove all those minis featured in the Quickstart Rules into one boxed set for $99. However, all of this being said, I think that in the end the armies may be smaller, the miniatures may be cheaper, exclusive counterparts to their regular selves, and the boxed set may include heroes.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:51 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Jamros wrote:
I think the fact that both Space Hulk (I know, it was a limited edition board game, but still) and Island of Blood were $99 is some sort of indicator as to the new standard price of boxed game sets. I hope that I am wrong, but GW is often predictably expensive. When you examine the contents of Islands of Blood, is it quite clear that buying everything in that set separately would cost much more than $99, but at the end of the day, the box is marketed to those not yet familiar with miniatures, and $99 is a steep price to pay to try out a new hobby.

Quote:

A quick calculation of the contents of the Island of Blood reveals that purchasing the miniatures alone would cost about $360, based on the most comparable miniatures and boxed sets available. Adding in the gaming accessories brings the total to about $465.10. As far as boxed sets go, in order to match the numbers in the Island of Blood, one would need to purchase six boxed sets and eleven blister packs. Its insane value, but even $99 is still too high imo (I feel like $60-$75 is a good range). I think with these numbers, its very plausible that GW would shove all those minis featured in the Quickstart Rules into one boxed set for $99. However, all of this being said, I think that in the end the armies may be smaller, the miniatures may be cheaper, exclusive counterparts to their regular selves, and the boxed set may include heroes.

Very true. I would like to see a massive new sprue like in these sets though! New poses and everything. Although unlikely, probably just put in the old ones....But I still have high hopes for something nice, new, exclusive and EPIC!

James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:56 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Well, only time will tell, I will more than likely pick this up, but it better come out soon! :)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:09 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

i hope it does come out soon. i just started a mordor army and this would be a great addition to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:26 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

hmmmm.... I havent heard anything about this yet (well nothing new that we dont know) but I do say everyone should wait until we really begin to speculate on what will be in the box. For all we know it could be the battle at the Gladen fields where Isildur is killed ya know?
If it is set in Osgiliath like many of you hope I would agree with anyone who says that Osgiliath veterans would be plastic as it would be smart for them to finally sell the in large numbers with more poses and maybe a new Cirion in battered and worn wargear.
Im not sure about the mordor uruk's becoming plastic at the moment but I do think it would be great for them to just make an all plastic version of the assault on Osgiliath led by Gothmog and defended by Faramir from the films.
Think about it everyone...they just released the plastic Osgiliath set and already have 4 core units needed (WoMT, Rangers of Gondor, Morannon orcs and Mordor orcs) and thus they could make one or two more units in to plastic which can be left up for speculation. The mordor troll could be put in there as well but did anyone think about who would be Gondor's magic user? That is the one thing that holds me back from saying it will be Osgiliah themed because Gandalf is not there in book or film :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:18 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Location: Before the gates of another fortress, telling those maggots that they have to form ranks!
Strange, very strange... While I was cycling today, I just thought why GW didn't released a WoTR starter set, it would be typical for them.
Well, I would maybe buy it, if it's not to expencive; which it probably will be, a mistake of GW of course because someone who is totally new to the hobby would not like it to spend imediately so much money on it (after all guys, it's a quite expencive -but enjoyable- hobby, just calculate the total of your army).
But as I already said, I would maybe buy it, and I would use it just use it as a expansion. Maybe it will be:
1 Mordor troll (you see him on every -try it out- table)
2 Orc sets
1 Morannon orc set
A ringwraith would be very typical
1 set of KoMT or KoDM
1 WoMT set
1 RoG set
1 new plastic KoDM on foot set or Osgiliat Vets
Boromir, captain of Gondor
(Magic just explained in the mini-rulebook)

Last edited by Raggbur on Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:22 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

[quote="Raggbur"]Strange, very strange... While I was cycling today, I just thought why GW didn't released a WoTR starter set, it would be typical for them.
Well, I would maybe buy it, if it's not to expencive; which it probably will be, a mistake of GW of course because someone who is totally new to the hobby would not like it to spend imediately so much money on it (after all guys, it's a quite expencive -but enjoyable- hobby, just calculate the total of your army).
But as I already said, I would maybe buy it, and I would use it just use it as a expansion. Maybe it will be:
1 Mordor troll (you see him on every -try it out- table)
2 Orc sets
1 Morannon orc set
A ringwraith would be very typical
1 set of KoMT or KoDM
1 WoMT set
1 RoG set
1 new plastic KoDM on foot set
Boromir, captain of Gondor
(Magic just explained in the mini-rulebook)[/quote

hmmm I did just realize they took down Boromir CotWT with his banner...you might be on to something as they could do him in plastic if its true about being Osgiliath themed as well as the Ringwraith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:40 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The voices in my head told me that it's gonna be a Pelennor Fields starter set with 5 Mumakil and all nine mounted on Fellbeasts plus the full 6,000 Riders of Rohan, a dozen Trebuchets and some terrain that will include a scale replica of the gates of Minas Tirith and a working mini of Grond that belches flames! All for 50 bucks!

Wild speculations aside :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:58 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Quote:
The voices in my head told me that it's gonna be a Pelennor Fields starter set with 5 Mumakil and all nine mounted on Fellbeasts plus the full 6,000 Riders of Rohan, a dozen Trebuchets and some terrain that will include a scale replica of the gates of Minas Tirith and a working mini of Grond that belches flames! All for 50 bucks!

Wild speculations aside

:-D :yay: That just made my day 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:02 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

My job here is done...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:06 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

i'll buy it if there's good mordor stuff in it i guess
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:08 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Raukov wrote:
i'll buy it if there's good mordor stuff in it i guess

So if there's five Mumaks and a horde of Haradrim for 50 bucks you'll let it slip?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:20 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

yes and soon after that we will get two terrain sets which include all 7 levels of Minas Tirith and Helm's Deep :yay:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:32 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

In true scale as well, not the piddly little gates they put out years ago :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:51 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Pinky Beecroft wrote:

Wild speculations aside :P

I want that.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:57 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Pinky Beecroft wrote:
So if there's five Mumaks and a horde of Haradrim for 50 bucks you'll let it slip?

yeah
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:10 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Touché :yay:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:57 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

It does sound exciting but I can't see it being released before September/October next year. The new Warhammer boxed game is just on pre-order and I can't see GW releasing 2 core game boxed sets in the same year.
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next