All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 5:32 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Incoming: Misty Mountains
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:57 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Quote:
Khazad-dûm, nestled below the mighty peaks of the Misty Mountains was once the greatest of all Dwarven holds - a place of beauty, light and artisanship unequalled. Now, however, it is the haunt of Moria Goblins, lumbering Cave Trolls and other, more terrible creatures.

For generations the Dwarves have longed to reclaim their ancestral home, fighting long and bitter wars against the Goblins who have usurped their cherished kingdom beneath the mountains.

This October the battle for dominion is set to intensify as both the armies of the Dwarf Holds and the Misty Mountains receive new reinforcements. With new miniatures for both factions, Good and Evil players have something to look forward to.

For more information about the Misty Mountains releases in October, watch out for future newsletters, keep an on the Games Workshop website and check out October's issue of White Dwarf. Players of the Strategy Battle Game will find rules to accompany all these models in November's issue of White Dwarf.

From the Newsletter I just received.

Hmm, lets see, Plastic Khazad Guards maybe? Plastic Prowlers? I wonder!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:20 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hmm...STONE GIANTS???

Would be about time too! What other troop types are included in WotR that haven't come out yet? LoME had fire drakes or something. Stone giants are in WotR though right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:52 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

A bout darn Time :rofl: I doubt that they´ll cover Dol Guldur with it... but anything new in LOTR is welcome :rofl: 8) :yay:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:01 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Finally :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:09 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

We're highly unlikely to see any plastic sets, however based on the previous releases I'd imagine something like:

Dwarves:
Floi Loremaster
King's Champion
Moria Expeditionary Command
whatever the Iron Guard special character is called (Iron Helm?)

Misty Mountains:
Gundabad Blackshields command
Stone Giant or Cave Drake (I can't imagine them being nice enough to give us both!)

I have high hopes for this one. Sure, they'll definitely mess up the monster, but the rest should be pretty good.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:43 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I wouldn't mind seeing another set of poses for plastic Goblins, but that's not likely. They do seem to be adding "command" sets for everything so that's probably a given.

Stone Giant COULD be great, but GW's bound to give it an oversized weapon and cover it with skulls. That's how they make everything look evil. :roll: A Cave Drake would be very nice.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:14 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Fire Drake please... :-D

Not interested in most of the speculated relases as I play neither of the related faction but its nice to see some big units possibly being released.

OERP
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:41 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Azog?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:05 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

:D Back From two weeks of camp.....

This sounds great as I game with both goblins and dwarves, though I think that new troop type commands and wotr hero's are more likely than plastic warriors. Good news none the less. :yay:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:55 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Queen Berúthiel wrote:
Azog?

This. Maybe a Blister with both Azog and Bolg in it. I mean why do they make up stuff like Durburz as named heroes for Goblins when there are two ACTUAL named goblin leaders that are mentioned in the appendices, and I think Bolg is the one in the Hobbit right? Or was that Azog? And the other one is the one that Dain killed at the end of the War of the Dwarves and Goblins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:25 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Well actually there was a Goblin chieftain that Aragorn killed... in the Balin´s Tomb, maybe GW just decided to give him a name... :rofl:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:48 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Mouth-of-Sauron wrote:
Well actually there was a Goblin chieftain that Aragorn killed... in the Balin´s Tomb, maybe GW just decided to give him a name... :rofl:

That's who I've always imagined Durburz to be. :)

Bolg was the Goblin Chieftain in The Hobbit, Azog was the Goblin Chief from the War of Dwarves and Goblins. I'd like to see Azog, but I doubt we'll see Bolg.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:37 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Jamros wrote:
Mouth-of-Sauron wrote:

Bolg was the Goblin Chieftain in The Hobbit, Azog was the Goblin Chief from the War of Dwarves and Goblins. I'd like to see Azog, but I doubt we'll see Bolg.

No... both Bolg and Azog are from Mount Gundabad (and they are related, one of them is father to another...i forgot who), that goblin is some other Goblin King from Moria.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:57 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Ivan wrote:
Jamros wrote:
Mouth-of-Sauron wrote:

No... both Bolg and Azog are from Mount Gundabad (and they are related, one of them is father to another...i forgot who), that goblin is some other Goblin King from Moria.

No, Bolg and Azog are from Moria. Azog is the father of Bolg. Azog is the one that killed Thrain (I think it was Thrain) when he came to Moria alone. Then the War of the Orcs and Dwarves began and in the last battle Azog was killed by Dain. It's the same battle where Thorin gets his name Oakenshield.

I don't think there are any named orcs from Gundabad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:49 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

the only tht is missing from misty mountains new figure is stone giants and cold drakes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:06 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

This sort of helps:

http://www.tuckborough.net/orcs.html#Bolg

Azog was the Lord of Moria. His son Bolg may have been the lord of Moria too, but he could have been a cadet lord, ruling from Gundabad by virtue of royal blood, but offering allegiance to another lord of Moria.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that the Great Goblin was a brother or other kinsman to Bolg.

It really comes down to what you want in your game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:44 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

So I guess its like this:

Azog was a Goblin King of Moria who was killed by Dain Ironfoot during the War of the Dwarves. The Great Goblin was not a king of anything, just a ''well respected'' orc leader of the Misty Mountains. Bolg was Azog's son, but his position of leadership is unknown, so one can assume that he was the king of Moria, the lord of the entire Misty Mountains, or just a simple orc leader like the Great Goblin. Bolg's anger burned against the dwarves after the deaths of Azog and the Great Goblin, his primary reason for fighting in the Battle of Five Armies. Durburz is a character representing the Goblin King of Moria in the Third Age during the War of the Ring; he would not be the unnamed chief who speared Frodo in FotR, as he is a King, not a chiefain. Therefore, he is a character completely invented by Games Workshop.

All of the above would be self evident after aelfwine's post, I was more just talking to myself... :)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:02 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Pretty much, Jamros.

I suspect, too, that titles are an affectation - the biggest and most devious thug amongst the Orcs becomes the leader. This leader can be called the Big Man, the Old Man (sharku, geddit?), the King, the Chief, the Chieftain.

Like a dark age barbarian chieftain, you get to be "the guy in charge" by blood (being the son or brother or nephew of the last guy), or by killing the other guy, or merely by being acclaimed by the bigger thugs in the tribe. So you get this loose, and vague, hierarchy. I also suspect that when Sauron's active, he appoints warlords to take command of these orc tribes in the name of Mordor. Someone like Gothmog, or a Nazgul who bangs the whole lot into line and cuts through the typical chaotic hierarchy.

So Bolg, as Azog's son might end up as a chieftain/big thug, but maybe someone bigger claimed the spot in Moria (let's call him Durburz!). Or maybe Azog was made lord of Gundabad before Azog's death, but someone else usurped Moria's "throne."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:24 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Its all very complicated and confusing :? But anyway, I do have a Moria army, so I'll see if I can't find a place for any of these new models if I like them.
 Post subject: Re: Incoming: Misty Mountains
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:36 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Getting back on subject:
SilverHeimdall wrote:
From the Newsletter I just received.

Hmm, lets see, Plastic Khazad Guards maybe? Plastic Prowlers? I wonder!
I'm at work, so I don't have my books on hand, but that sounded a lot like the intro stuff on the Khazad-dum book. That makes me a little leery of them doing anything worthwhile here. :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next