All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 4:29 am

Post subject: Elf Help
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:46 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I've been looking into playing an elf army lately. What would you say is better for a beginner to play as (I've only played a few games, and found that I don't like Gondor all that much)? Wood Elves or Galdhrim/High Elves?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:38 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I would say Galadrhim would be the best choice for starting out. Galadrhim have some very good Epic Heroes, the only official Elf Cavalry (which can be really potent if there's enough of them), and a fair range of Common, Rare and Legendary Formations. They have good access to spells and some tough hitting combat leaders. And the model range includes a lot of plastics so it doesn't hurt too much financially. You can also mix in some Wood Elf Formations in a Galdrhim army without them looking out of place at all if you want the extra variety in your force.

I play Wood Elves and can tell you that they are a difficult army to field in WotR, and due to their relatively cheap Formations and very little variety to their forces you're going to be buying and painting a LOT of the same pointy-eared fellas to make a decent army. I'm up to over 100 so far but have been building them as an SBG army first for a couple years now so it hasn't been a huge burden to get going in WotR.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:07 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Galadhrim, as Beowulf said, have the most variety and are the most solid in WotR. I'm with Galadhrim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:14 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Okay, I was leaning towards them already, and they look like a lot more fun to paint than WoMT. Nothing against theem, but silver can get to be a little.... monotonous. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:53 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I like the High Elves because the look like a hybrid of Jedi's and Spartans. :lol:

Also I like the background story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Warlord777 wrote:
I like the High Elves because the look like a hybrid of Jedi's and Spartans. :lol:

I agree that high elves look the coolest but I don't think they would be the best to collect (especially in WotR) as they have no variety.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:53 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

spuds4ever wrote:
Warlord777 wrote:

I agree that high elves look the coolest but I don't think they would be the best to collect (especially in WotR) as they have no variety.

Also they have so few options, and with the amount there are in a box set, it will get very expensive with even a few models.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:03 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Both are totally different, if you are on about SBG High Elves rely on a straight fight, using heavy armour and high fight values, they are often outnumbered, but are hard to kill or break.
Wood elves rely on careful strategy as if they are caught in prolonged combat they will be slaughtered b ecause of their low defence. Use your slightly better nujmbers and throwing dagger to your advantage and make sure you inflict as many casualties as possible before entering combat. Elven Cloaks can help.
Galahdrim are your happy medium, they can complement either army, and have a good range of troops.

OERP
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:46 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

IDK if you can do so in WoTR but the combination of wood elf spearmen in the second rank and Galadhrim frontline work very well and are cost effective.

...or for the same price as an armoured Galadhrim, the wood elf, outfitted with throwing knives, can add a str3 attack.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:41 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I started with Galadhrim and found them great! Im going to start an Isengard army very soon to give me a different style evil army.

But back to your question i would go with Galadhrim, good archers(obv) good fight/courage value, awesome heros used in the right combination.

Just make sure your careful against big armies as with elves your always out numberd :)

Happy Gaming :D
CJ