Kinsman
Kinsman

thank goodnes for ebay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:10 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hirumith, the Grey Knight wrote:
Well, we've certainly seen worse price-hikes in the past, although this one does hit me especially hard because I'm not really collecting armies right now, just filling out my characters so the price hikes on metals is gonna hurt.

Still, I've been disenchanted with GW as a company for a long time, and really only make sparse purchases, so in the end I can't see it affecting me too much. I quit buying new stuff for the other systems a looooong time ago, but I feel bad for those who are trying to get started or building on their armies.

Ditto, almost completely. I just want to finish a couple of armies with some metals and just one boxed set.

Games Workshop has to be one of the worst businesses ever. They have excellent customer service but no business savvy. This free shipping since, like, November of last year was a great idea, but I'm 17 with no job and I live near no hobby stores. GW is increasingly specializing their fans to 40 year old rich British men who live in major cities. Even if this may not be that big of a price hike, I can say almost for sure that I will not continue collecting 40K or WHFB (unless I really need one random miniatures here or there). I was also making plans to get into WotR, but I will not now.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:24 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I was also making plans to get into WotR, but I will not now.

Jamros, you know its only Uruk warriors that are being affected in term of plastic warrior box sets, everything else is fine at the moment.

OERP
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:35 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Yeah I know, its just that I don't want to continue with GW atm. Like a lot of people on this forum, I would much rather be done with the armies I'm currently finishing for SBG then move on to mostly historical gaming. Flames of War has really caught my eye, even though it is fairly expensive, then there's of course Perry Bros, and eBob, etc.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:45 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Jamros wrote:
GW is increasingly specializing their fans to 40 year old rich British men who live in major cities.

Actually, they are aiming for children (with shiny new things and things that boom better etc). They prefer the children of middle-aged, rich (any nationality, since it's a global company) parents because those parents will just keep buying the toys until they shut up or get bored and move on (which most do).

THAT's how GW sucks and is likely to fail: they want new customers, but aren't bothered that the new customers are the ones that won't stick around, don't care about current customers (as can be seen by the quality of publications, including WD and rulesbooks) and don't care that they're scaring away potential customers (that are the ones that would stay) because they can't reason it as a decent investment.

(EDIT: Forgot to add the end " for the quote.)

Last edited by Hashut's Blessing on Wed May 12, 2010 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:28 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hashut's Blessing wrote:

Actually, they are aiming for children (with shiny new things and things that boom better etc). They prefer the children of middle-aged, rich (any nationality, since it's a global company) parents because those parents will just keep buying the toys until they shut up or get bored and move on (which most do).

THAT's how GW sucks and is likely to fail: they want new customers, but aren't bothered that the new customers are the ones that won't stick around, don't care about current customers (as can be seen by the quality of publications, including WD and rulesbooks) and don't care that they're scaring away potential customers (that are the ones that would stay) because they can't reason it as a decent investment.

Touche :)

Edit: Quote Fail.

Last edited by Jamros on Thu May 13, 2010 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:30 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

agincourt777 wrote:
thank goodnes for ebay
That would be true if it wasn't for the fact that most of the new decent stuff you can only get from direct mail order.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:25 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sorry Jamros ;)

Still, you were right in whom they are aiming for to pay for them, so high five for knowing GW's plan (as horrid as it is, lol :D ).
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:36 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

oh for godsakes

better buy that second troll and any ringwraiths I want now then I guess

Mordor-ob bot-tuk
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:48 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

It seems a reasonable increase to me, especially considering they're mostly raising metals and books, the two things that have seen production cost increases go up steeply the last few years, while plastics are largely unaffected.

It definitely won't keep me away from the hobby as some are saying it will them. When you think about it, in collecting an entire army, it only adds a few bucks to the price.

For example, my elf army which I have been collecting: 2 boxes of wood elf warriors, 2 boxes of Galadhrim warriors, a box of Galadhrim knights, Galadriel, Celeborn, Haldir, wood elf command, wood elf sentinels.
Now: $217.00 US
After Increase: $225.25 US

That's an increase of less than $10 for the whole army. Definitely not the end of the hobby or the end of the world.

Last edited by captain krak on Wed May 12, 2010 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:13 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Location: Hear the sinister whisper of steel on leather? The quiet footsteps? You've found me.
*sighs*

Well, this wasn't much of a surprise. I'm just glad it wasn't a large increase on everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:48 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

captain krak wrote:
It seems a reasonable increase to me, especially considering they're mostly raising metals and books, the two things that have seen production cost increases go up steeply the last few years, while plastics are largely unaffected.

It definitely won't keep me away from the hobby as some are saying it will them. When you thing about it, in collecting an entire army, it only adds a few bucks to the price.

For example, my elf army which I have been collecting: 2 boxes of wood elf warriors, 2 boxes of Galadhrim warriors, a box of Galadhrim knights, Galadriel, Celeborn, Haldir, wood elf command, wood elf sentinels.
Now: $217.00 US
After Increase: $225.25 US

That's an increase of less than $10 for the whole army. Definitely not the end of the hobby or the end of the world.

I agree that LotR players (unless they collect all-metal armie) and WotR players (to a lesser degree) aren;t affected too greatly by this, but take a look at the price increases and notice what's happening to those that play WH and 40K. They are going to have swathes of players priced out since most reduced how much they were buying before.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:59 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Well a lot of people are saying that they won't buy any lotr miniatures, but I'm certain that most people keep buying them.

Here and there a new miniature...
Some nice release..
You know how it works.
 Post subject: cost
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:16 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I am a little older than some of you and a lot older than most of you. I have seen this before. I am not going to make any one mad or board and go on about politics. You need blame no one but high taxes poor currency exchange rate for the current high and soon to be higher prices. Have you looked at the price of nails or even strait pins. A can of beans went up 20% from last week. The nails are so high I may start pulling them out of boards and saving them in jars like my grand father did.

The point is prices are going up! There is little you can do except budget your money better.

Now for the I walked home in 20 feet of snow story. When I was in the second grade my allowance was $.50 per week. A coke was $.10 in the machine or $.05 at the fountain in the drug store. So I could stop by the drug store and get my soda and pick up a comic book too. When the comic went to$.07 and the fountain drink $.06 I had to find a returnable bottle on the way to the Store for the extra $.03. My grand father let me start cutting his grass and I started picking up milk bottles too. I never missed a comic or a coke and ordered my first miniature army from the back of the comic too. I purchased everything that was released for LOTR Friday,.If I cut one yard a week I will have earned far more money than needed to make this purchase before the next release is out. Prices have gone up but this is still lunch money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:10 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

One thing that I don't get-

when I plug those new prices into my price converter, it is the same price that US customers have been paying since last year's price hike...

is this because the £ is down, or what?

Regardless, looks like ill be playing a lot more LoTR in the coming months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:22 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

BrightLance wrote:
One thing that I don't get-

when I plug those new prices into my price converter, it is the same price that US customers have been paying since last year's price hike...

is this because the £ is down, or what?

Regardless, looks like ill be playing a lot more LoTR in the coming months.

US prices are going up too, but its uncertain if it is identical to the european price increase.

you may find this youtube video and interesting watch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqwnwJQrHSk
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:44 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Beowulf03809 wrote:
This is really a sad trend. Thank goodness for ebay and paint stripping. I mean, when some of these models are several years old, why spend prime price buying an over-inflated box of plastics new. And as they raise prices and people leave the hobby there is always nice lots going up.

3/4 of my large Easterling army was bought at a discount from a fellow gamer online.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:01 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

It really would surprise me if GW stopped increasing prices and charging astronomically high prices.

Like many here (I assume) I buy very little directly from GW, thanks to ebay and other secondary online stores. Still, the price increases are annoying.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:36 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

To be honest A LOT of gamingsystems have been moving to insane prices. It seems an illness of the sector itself.

I thought about trying alternatives just as a one-of game besides Battletech and Anima Tactics.
But GW's big competition is quite insanely priced too. Infinity and Privateer Press have gorgeous minis but insane prices too.
Granted some of the alternative games are skirmish level but even then they keep pushing people to move to 'bigger' scales.
And... well a lot of games just lack the drive, playerbase or surviveability of the big ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:23 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I started playing this game when it first came out, and back then the prices were about $5.00 per pack of 3 metal soldiers. Today that pack will cost about $15.00. I think that it was sometime around 2001.

At the same time I was buying historical figs from different manufacturers, and at the average each fig was about $1.00 - $1.50. Today those same figs tend to be about $1.50 - $2.50.

I can buy the old Grendadier Fantasy Warriors for about $2.00 each, and they are all metal!

I haven't bought any new GW LOTR in about a year, and even though I see some figs that I like A LOT, if I buy them, I can't do any other miniatures, and I still want to play LOTR and be able to play some historical stuff also.

So GW did a good job of running off at least one gamer that spent a pretty large amount of money on their games.