All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 10:24 pm

Post subject: Andrea Gold paint set
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:11 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Andrea miniatures has now available a new Gold paint set, similar in concept to the previous Silver paint set and all the others they have released in the past.

[center]Image[/center]

The set includes three metallic paints (Shadow Dark Gold, Base Gold and Light White Gold) and three inks (Black Ink, Chestnut Ink and Golden Yellow Ink), and it is sold for around 16 euros (what makes 2,66€ per paint bottle). Also included is a brochure with step-by-step instructions on how to easilly paint gold.

These Andrea paint sets are particularly interesting for anyone that doesnt like to do lots of paint mixing and doesnt mind investing a few extra euros in different shades of a particular colour. Other sets available include Flesh, Red, Blue, White, Black, Silver and Inks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:05 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for the heads-up. BTW, has anyone tried the Black Set from Andrea? I'm thinking about buying it so any opinions would be helpful :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:38 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I havent tested it myself but I saw a guy in a forum using both the black and the flesh set in a 54mm model and he said wonders of it. I can't seem to find it at the moment. It was in portuguese anyway, but at least you could see the pictures, ehe. If I can find it again I'll post the link , Wojtek.

I do have and use quite a few Andrea paints though, and really like them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:54 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for the quick reply Miguel :) If you find the pictures, I'd be grateful.

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:22 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

You do realise that many people thought this was an April Fool stunt, like the Automobile Association Rocket/Jetpack Response Team?

No, Dorth has not been eating anything weird, here is one take on the 'story' from the Daily Mail:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... l?ITO=1490

Anyway, I like this set, though more bronze/brass colours would probably be more useful given the colur palette of Middle-earth (hint-hint, eh, Andrea? 8) ).

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:50 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I saw a jetpack like that on a children's science program on TV- some dude put a basketball in a hoop that was ultra-high.

On topic, what are the Andrea paints like compared with citadel colour?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:24 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I really like them! They are very good paints, equivalent in quality to Citadel, for instance. I'm not totally sure, but I read in a few places that Andrea paints are actually Vallejo paints with a brand license... they sure look very similar.

They come in a dropper bottle (like Vallejo) and each bottle is 17ml (Citadel is 12ml) and around here they sell from 2,10 to 2,80 euros per bottle (Citadel sells for 3 euros per bottle).

There is a nice and vast selection of colours, though the range is are more into the historical side (more earthly tones and that) than the bright colours we are used to. If you look, you will find proxys for plenty of colours, but its not as straight forward as Vallejo Game Colours, for instance.

The paints all are near matte finish, but some colours are available in matte and gloss versions, and they also have mediums you can add to get a particular look.

All in all, I'm quite happy with them and I'm migrating from Citadel. Citadel are very good paints though, and I love them. But for me is just easier to get all the Andrea stuff... and its cheaper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:01 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Miguel (or anyone else), do you have these specific gold paints or do you just generally like Andrea paints? Can you compare the coverage of these gold paints to the Citadel gold paints?

I'm getting tired of laying dozens of coats of Shining/Burnished Gold over any base colour to get a smooth coverage, and I'm looking for a new set of gold paints at the moment. Somehow the metal flake size seems to be a bit larger in Citadel golds than in Citadel's silver paints and that makes painting with them a lot less enjoyable.

-- Pasi
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:39 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

MacGothmog wrote:
I'm not totally sure, but I read in a few places that Andrea paints are actually Vallejo paints with a brand license... they sure look very similar.

That's the old Andrea paint, which sold for about $3.00 US a bottle. These are a new formula (not made by Vallejo) and cost about $5.00 US a bottle.

I have all the Andrea paint sets released so far. I use Vallejo model and game color pretty regularly now, after phasing out my citadel paints, but the Andrea paints are by far the best I've ever had. Fine pigment, smooth transitions, great coverage.

Also, there's no reason to use the paints according to the instructions that come in the sets.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:31 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Sounds great- only I don't know of any places that sell andrea or vallejo paints in australia. If anyone knows of somewhere that does, please post it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:18 am 
Administrator
Administrator

@Pasi:

No, I don't have any of these sets. I tried a silver paint from Andrea (I think it was Steel) a couple years ago and wasnt particularly impressed. I find Citadel metalics ace to be honest, and don't think I'll be changing those anytime soon.
I understand what you mean with gold having bad coverage... I usually add some regular paint (like Scorched Brown or Snakebite Leather) to it for the inicial coats and that helps. The silver tones have much better coverage though, I have to agree.

I do use a lot of other Andrea paints and they are great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:52 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Thanks for the info, Miguel. I guess I'll stay with my current gold paints then. The tip about adding regular paint to gold is something I still have to try out.

-- Pasi
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:34 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

MacGothmog wrote:
@Pasi:

No, I don't have any of these sets. I tried a silver paint from Andrea (I think it was Steel) a couple years ago and wasnt particularly impressed.

That would be the Vallejo metalics bottled for Andrea, I think. The new silver set is less than a year old.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:49 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Elros of Numenor wrote:
Sounds great- only I don't know of any places that sell andrea or vallejo paints in australia. If anyone knows of somewhere that does, please post it.

Mind Games in Melbourne City sell Vallejo paints. So does Eureka Miniatures in suburban Melbourne.

Honestly though, they cost $5.50-$6.00 a dropper-bottle, so if you have access to a Visa card of any description and were going to purchase 3 or more bottles of paint, you may as well buy from Maelstrom in the UK, where you'll be paying about AU$3 a bottle after the currency conversion, with free delivery.

I just started buying paint from them in the last month or so, when I went to buy a few paints and realised that I could get about 10 paints for the cost of the 5 paints I had in my hand. (and Valllejo are even cheaper)

Their min order (with free post) is 10UKP, which is AU$16.60, which won't quite get you 3 paints locally but will buy you 7 paints from the UK for a few cents more.

Here's some other options in Australia:
http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.p ... opic=82011

MacGothmogg - I've read very positive things about the P3 metal range. I've only used Pig Iron so far but it's very good. Made by Coat D'Arms, who used to do Citadel's old paints. Ironically, back in the old days, their metallics were notoriously terrible, so it appears they have made some serious improvements in recent years after losing the GW contract.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/
My miniatures painting blog.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:52 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

MacGothmog wrote:
I usually add some regular paint (like Scorched Brown or Snakebite Leather) to it for the inicial coats and that helps.

Same here, even a small amount of Scorched Brown mixed with Shining Gold does wonders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:02 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I tested adding a bit of Scorched Brown to Shining Gold and it works really well. Over silver and white undercoats I needed just one coat of brown/gold mix and on top of one coat of pure Shining Gold for a smooth finish. Thanks Mac and Viruk!

-- Pasi
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:09 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

You're very welcom Pasi, glad it worked for you. You may also want to try glazes - I usually go for final highlight with small amount of Mithril Silver and give everything a glaze of leviathan purple and thraka green. It makes the gold look "richer"