All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 5:26 am

Post subject: No more infantry for me
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:51 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

It now makes it hard to collect WOTR due to most of the box sets being halved and prices inceased. However WOTR being my favourite gw game system and yes i have pretty much played them all im determined to not have my wotr gaming spirit dimished.

You many already know that they didnt actualy half the cav sets, so ive decided to collect a pelenor fields based army around dol amroth, amry of the dead and grey company. I already have plenty of grey company and soon the army of the dead. So all i need is some dol amrorth knights (mounted of course) being 50 points a company and getting three companies in each set, thats 150 pts per box set, which is..well pretty darn good, especialy compared with some box sets. So to save money and cos i love the idea of an all mounted dol amroth force and maybe somtimes a few dead or grey company.

So what do you think ? are you disapointed with the changes to the box sets? are people going to start all mounted armies becasue their the cheapest way of getting a wotr force. And what do you think could counter an all mounted army like dol amroth.

Post subject: Re: No more infantry for me
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:53 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Like everyone, I'm REALLY disappointed with the half-boxes, in fact, they drove me out of GW-buying.

As for counters to an all-mounted army, I'd say: cheap infantry. When 3 coys of Dol Amroth knights come up against 8 coys of 2HW orcs (roughly equal points), you might kill a heck of a lot of Orcs, but they'll still have over half left (just on basis of max. amount of dice), and you'll most likely have lost you squad (only 12 hits required from 64 dice hitting on 5(or is it 5/3?), not pretty). The counter to this would be to include Gimli or Balin (maybe under an alias for theme) and call Epic Rampage, that should end you with a lot of dead enemy. Of course, if you're up against Khamul, you're just dead, because he turns you strength (causing a heck of a lot of casualties) into a weakness.Also, look in the "all mounted army - viable?" thread for an example of what you might face when you opponent knows what's coming to him.

A tip, use some KoMT as mounted Men-at-Arms.

:puppy:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:31 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

With the options offered in the box, you can include a captain, a hornblower and a banner in your formations, effectively increasing it to 250 per box. Granted, most of those upgrades really aren't worth the pt cost, but you get the picture.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:36 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
Like everyone, I'm REALLY disappointed with the half-boxes, in fact, they drove me out of GW-buying.

Ah thats a shame, but your justified in your decesion.

Quote:
A tip, use some KoMT as mounted Men-at-Arms

I dont understand what you mean?

Quote:
With the options offered in the box, you can include a captain, a hornblower and a banner in your formations, effectively increasing it to 250 per box. Granted, most of those upgrades really aren't worth the pt cost, but you get the picture

yes thats a good point, but as you said they are all over priced upgrades and i never used banners or hornblowers only cpts.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:57 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

No, I haven't stopped LOTR, just buying things in GW's store. Ebay and Wayland Games for the win!

To use Knights of Minas Tirith (models and rules) as Mounted Men at Arms of Dol Amroth, because they are far more worth their points.

@Draugluin: If you build an all-cavalry army, you will be lacking in troops anyway, so I wouldn't take captains etc. in any circumstances, unless you really don't care about winning anymore.

:puppy: