All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 10:27 pm

Post subject: gondor needs help!!-a grisly end
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:24 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Well i played my first game last night against a MM army and was complete destroyed !! . my opponent fielded -
DRUZHAG
DURBURZ
4XPROWLERS
3XPROWLERS
2XWARGS
6XBLACKSHIELDS
1XDRAGON with upgrade
1XMUMAK
I tried to field a bit of an arnor themed army with the exception of saruman which consisted of –
ARAGORN
SARUMAN
FARAMIR

RANGERS OF ARNOR X 2
RANGERS OF ARNOR X 2

GREY COMPANY X 5
WOA X 4
WOA X 4
WOA X 4
The dragon was so difficult to attack with it being a flying monster I was constantly attack in the flank by it, the summon beasts special rule just added to my misery. The mumak just stomped about killed men /companies a random with the greatest ease; I could go on and on prowler ability, mob rule re roll 1s and 2s spider’s def 10 against shooting. How do you beat such an effective army? All advice welcome even constructive criticism.
 Post subject: Re: gondor needs help!!-a grisly end
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:42 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I play a MM army and always find it difficult to defeat a Gondor army, your opponent must be better then me lol. I must agree that a monster like the Balrog or Dragon if played right can really hurt. Maybe for you spending over 450 points on 3 epics was too much. Plus the key to the MM army is to try and flank you as much as possible, which can be hard for you as nearly every one of them are prowlers. The summon beasts is hard for you as well, especially if on a D3 they roll a 5 or 6! 3 companies of spiders appearing can really change things.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:49 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

thats exactly how it happened on the first summon beast action! a roll of a 6 and theres 3 companies of spiders charging flanks OuCh :sad:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:53 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

It is difficult to deal with, the only thing you should do is duel him, but any good player will avoid someone like Aragon plus Epic run away lol always helps!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:23 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Yer aragorn was well avoided . Maybe saruman wasn't the way to go but all spellcasters are expensive for gondor , I just don't think their cost is worth the damage they do , but then again it was the first time I played him so my lack of experience could also have been a factor.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:32 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Spell casters used right are always good. My opponent uses Radagast alot and uses him effectively, but I understand the cost issue when your already using Aragon. Druzhag and Durburz cost less than Aragon alone, crazy I know with abilities like summon beasts. What is the normal list you fight with?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:12 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Swap Aragorn for Imrahil and Isildur.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:44 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The army I listed is my standard army really I just don't usually field saruman , I tend to play 2 formations of knights with shields ( 3 companies per formation) or more archers or infantry instead. Gothmog I'm frantically searching through my book , why would you choose imrahil and isildur over aragorn what am I missing? :?:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:57 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Keep Aragorn, he is worth every point you pay for him. The other two Epics are both good too. In fact, the only thing I don't like about the list is the Grey Coy. I think the one missing piece of the puzzle is a Wilderness caster to do a little more against those big monsters. This looks like 1500 (?) so allies will permit Radagast but I think Thranduil makes about as much sense as a Moria list with a Mumak and Dragon in it. If you have two Istari and Aragorn, you have some pretty effective heroes vs this kind of thing and then you just need to practice the tactics of it all.

If I were approaching it, I'd try and have Aragorn keep harrassing Druzhag to try and use up his might while you focus on getting first the Mumak and then the Dragon down by using casters. Realistically, I see the Dragon going down last, after you take on every thing else in the list, unless you get lucky.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:07 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

At the minute we're playing 1200 points . Xelee I can't believe you mentioned Thranduil I nearly pick him not only is he in keeping with Arnor theme ( I think) but also Mastery 2 and epic shot , I was going to ally him along with haldir , two terror causing creatures with epic shot , alas I chose saruman. I need to ask though , why not the grey company? . Striking at the same time as cav , stalwart, indomitable. Also the inspiring leader unlimited is great since I play Arnor who have a plus 1 fight over WOMT. Also the bonus of longbows can be very annoying for the enemy.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:26 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hi DOCdeath,

That Moria list is what you'd call highly 'efficient', Grey Coy are what I'd call 'a bit of variety'. The extra points you pay for the abilities of Legendary formations realistically have to be considered as part of your hero (as opposed to troops) ratio. In your case, we are talking how to get a force tough enough to stand an even chance vs enemy troops that get a lot of capacity they don't pay for and a couple of big monsters that will probably not be going down quickly. So It's not a question of what the Grey Coy can do for you as it is whether this is worth missing out on other heroes as an alternative. YMMV etc

Thranduil is good, Haldir not so much.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:52 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi xelee
Thanks for your responses they are always so political correct and poetic . Are you saying then that because MM are so over powered ( can i say that will i be banned?? :E )that i should drop the grey coy for more core troops and heros ??. I'm not sure what YWWV means either?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:10 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I've never been accused of being PC before and you've probably made a couple of other posters sputter into their coffee! :lol: Moria is not over-powered but I do think you need to have your head in the same space as your opponent when designing a list to fight what he has.

I think that, looking at that Moria list, your 25pt troops and Epic heroes chosen to make the list work, are a higher priority than the abilities of the Grey Coy. Your opponent has been hard-headed, you need to be too. Lets be clear though, you can't list design your way out of problems in WOTR, the list only gives you tools that you have to get practiced in using. From my experience, there is a big difference in knowing what you are supposed to do (which is a forum thing) and then knowing how to get it to happen when your opponent does not want to cooperate. :) I would suggest that you do batreps when you lose so that you have some accurate info on what worked/didn't work vs him.

'Your mileage may vary' ie This is what would work for me but the world is a little more varied than that.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:26 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I wouldn't say MM are over powered at all. I would say that on paper the Gondor list is better!!!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:29 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

[quote="Your opponent has been hard-headed, you need to be too. Lets be clear though, you can't list design your way out of problems in WOTR, the list only gives you tools that you have to get practiced in using. From my experience, there is a big difference in knowing what you are supposed to do (which is a forum thing) and then knowing how to get it to happen when your opponent does not want to cooperate. :) I would suggest that you do batreps when you lose so that you have some accurate info on what worked/didn't work vs him.

'Your mileage may vary' ie This is what would work for me but the world is a little more varied than that.

Cheers[/quote]
hi, what do you mean when you say that DocDeath's opponent has been hard headed? Not sure what your meaning here? I've looked at that MM list and like the look of it and thinking of playing that myself
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:35 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Didn't realise my super Misty Mountain army had upset u this much DocDeath?? Mwwahhhh hahaaaaa
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:38 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I think u should swop Aragon and just play Peregrin Took instead
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:26 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

NotLegolasJustTipsy wrote:
[quote="Your opponent has been hard-headed, you need to be too. Lets be clear though, you can't list design your way out of problems in WOTR, the list only gives you tools that you have to get practiced in using. From my experience, there is a big difference in knowing what you are supposed to do (which is a forum thing) and then knowing how to get it to happen when your opponent does not want to cooperate. :) I would suggest that you do batreps when you lose so that you have some accurate info on what worked/didn't work vs him.

Cheers

hi, what do you mean when you say that DocDeath's opponent has been hard headed? Not sure what your meaning here? I've looked at that MM list and like the look of it and thinking of playing that myself[/quote]

Quote:
hardheaded - guided by practical experience and observation rather than theory; "a hardheaded appraisal of our position"; "a hard-nosed labor leader"; "completely practical in his approach to business"; "not ideology but pragmatic politics"

Yes I think Blackmist has begun quite the trend with the Moria Mumaks! Good thing they have high ceilings down there.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:37 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Why thankful for giving me a dictionary definition there. Hmmm but again, how does that army list show that he or she is guided by practical experience and observation rather than therory? Lol
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:09 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Actual NLJT the MM army my oponent play was solely based on theory as its the first time he's ever played it he has little or no practical experience as you can probably guess from the comments posted on this discussion. But I do agree , you can field the best army ever listen to all the advice , but it's really its the experience that counts which at the minute we both lack :sad: