All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Oct 04, 2024 5:23 pm

Post subject: Legions of Middle Earth units in WOTR?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:48 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I think I know the answer to this (a definite no) but does anyone think the units that are in the Legions of Middle Earth book that don't have models or rule will ever come out, I really want an Elf Chariot, Catapult and Huorns but the Elf Rangers, High Elf knight and Galadhrim Pathwalker also look really good.

I know they are unlikely to come out for lots of reasons mostly no one every talks about them any more, secondly loads of units that are not in the book have been released which suggests they have moved away from it and lastly lots of the units would be pointless, how is a High Elf knight going to be any different from a Galadhrim one, Galadhrim Pathwalker would suggest someone that excel on crossing terrain which all elves already do so is useless and as for the Rangers the last thing elves need are more lightly armoured troops unless Rangers have a better shoot skill (+2) but that would then either make normal Galadhrim archers pointless or they will just be to overpriced to be useful.

Anyway does anyone thing there is even the slightest chance that any of these units will come at as some of the units do have some merit. The chariot would supply elves with some much needed hitting power and the Huorns could be just like cheap Ents meaning they could be fielded more like Cave trolls giving all good armies the ability to take a few monster in there army rather than just one Ent or King's Champion as they do know).
 Post subject: Re: Legions of Middle Earth units in WOTR?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:27 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

i think they might bring out the high elf knight or something similar because there are elven horsemen in rivendell in one of the hobbit trailers but i dought if any of the others unless the show up in the hobbit movies, :(

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:07 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I think your right apart from Hourns as they are mentioned in both the book and in the film (the trees move in the film but you don't actually see them), I was going to mention some Elven knights encircle them in what we can assume is Rivendell but felt that was going on a bit so didn't bother but my point still stands how will they differentiate themselves from the Galadhrim Knights apart from having slightly higher defence (which would them make the Galadhrim ones obsolete unless they bring out a 2nd Edition and make the Galadhrim ones into harassment troops like Rohan Outriders).
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:33 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

they will probably have some special rule or strike terror or something like that but i dought there will be any extreme differences between them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:54 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The Cave Drake was in LoME and it got a model, but don't expect any of the other ones to,, LoME is the first of 2 to date broken promises on what models they will bring out. I don't think they like models not being a surprise.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:42 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I agree with you I find it very unlikely that they will come out but I do think a few years down the line when there struggling for ideas the Elven Catapult might come out as there is also and Easterling Bolt Thrower in LOME which would mean nearly every list (apart form Rohan) would have access to some form of artillery which would help to make some of the lists more competitive and give them a wider scope of tactics and strategics to use. However, even if this does happen I feel it would be more like looking back through LOME and going actually that was a good idea rather than them always having planned on bringing them out.

and what is the second time they promised units that did't come out
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:07 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The 2nd time was the WotR rulebook. Although some unit in there were released, and some were carried out from LoME. Others, eg Queen Beruthiel, the Blue Wizards, and Men of Carn Dum weren't in LoMe and as yet have no official models.

Oh and the Elf Rangers could be different. In SBG they could shoot twice like Legolas, and in WoTR they could be ambushers, and have Strength 3 bows.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:57 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I thought it was but they still have time to release those (they always release books with models they haven't released so it doesn't become obsolete as some as they are released)

Where are the Blue Wizzards I don't remember them if they do ever come out I like the idea that they could switch sides as there allegiance is not known, they should also be weaker and cheaper than the other three as you can fit them into small armies, My elves would love some more cheap casters :)

I love your idea for the Rangers (which just goes to show GW could fit all the units in if they wanted to) but they would then make the Gildor's Household formation useless as they were already hard to justify for there points if an alternate comes along no one will use them which brings me on to another points who ever wrote the rules and costs for the Elven Legendary formations need to be shot there all horrifically costed and completely useless :( not acceptable
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:49 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

No, the entries in the WotR rulebook without models are gone too. The last release (including Great Beasts, the Watcher in the Water, Ashrak and Groblog, Knight of the White Tower, Kings Huntsman, Dwellers in the Dark and Warg Marauders) proved that they have moved away from that.

And no they very rarely release books with models they haven't rel;eased. See the new Sourcebooks.

The Blue Wizards can in WotR be used only as part of the Council of Wizardry. They are Good Guys only. They went into the East on an unknown mission.

Most legendary formations are bad and not worth their points.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:00 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

It' a shame as they got rid of some really promising units. They really need to commit to one sales path and stick on it rather than redesigning and refocusing where they want the range to go every few years.

I had forgotten about the Council of Wizardry but I still think they should come out as Epic as well.

I know most Legendary formation but the Elven ones are particularly bad (and are compounded by elves high cost already) prime example Rivendell Guard a normal high Elf cohort is 60 points and get a commander that has 3 might for the same price as a normal captain. Rivendell guard have all the same stats (except they have stalwart and can go up to six companies rather than 4) and Erestor has the same stats as the captain. The guards themselves cost 5 more which is alright for Stalwart and the ability to go up to sic companies but then to get the formation in the first place you have to pay 125 points and you get Erestor (who is worth 50 points because he is equal to the commander) and a Banner Bearer (35 points) meaning you are spending 90 for nothing, 90 points buys a lot of Morannon Orcs.

I think this is a real shame because if they had been reasonably priced (85 + 65 per company) them they could have formed a great basis for an army their high defence (D7) couple with being six companies strong and Stalwart could have made a great 'anvil' for an elf army and as they are Legendary and no longer count as rare you could take another formation without having to take more Galadhrim (trust me as an elf player you want to take as many cohorts as you can). You could even place Cirdan in there and use Gift of Foresight (hits negated on +6), Blessings of the Valar (replenish D3 casualties) and Epic Defence (+2 Defence) to make the unit even more robust.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:00 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

It' a shame as they got rid of some really promising units. They really need to commit to one sales path and stick on it rather than redesigning and refocusing where they want the range to go every few years.

I had forgotten about the Council of Wizardry but I still think they should come out as Epic as well.

I know most Legendary formation but the Elven ones are particularly bad (and are compounded by elves high cost already) prime example Rivendell Guard a normal high Elf cohort is 60 points and get a commander that has 3 might for the same price as a normal captain. Rivendell guard have all the same stats (except they have stalwart and can go up to six companies rather than 4) and Erestor has the same stats as the captain. The guards themselves cost 5 more which is alright for Stalwart and the ability to go up to sic companies but then to get the formation in the first place you have to pay 125 points and you get Erestor (who is worth 50 points because he is equal to the commander) and a Banner Bearer (35 points) meaning you are spending 90 for nothing, 90 points buys a lot of Morannon Orcs.

I think this is a real shame because if they had been reasonably priced (85 + 65 per company) them they could have formed a great basis for an army their high defence (D7) couple with being six companies strong and Stalwart could have made a great 'anvil' for an elf army and as they are Legendary and no longer count as rare you could take another formation without having to take more Galadhrim (trust me as an elf player you want to take as many cohorts as you can). You could even place Cirdan in there and use Gift of Foresight (hits negated on +6), Blessings of the Valar (replenish D3 casualties) and Epic Defence (+2 Defence) to make the unit even more robust.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:38 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The Rivindell Guard isn't as bad as THe Guardians of Caras Galadhon, absolutely dreadful.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:47 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The Guardians of Caras Galadhon aren't as bad, the Guards of the Galadhrim Court Rare formation they are based on are arguable the worst formation in the game but the Legendary formation isn't as bad as the Rivendell Guards formation. The Guards captain only gets 2 might instead of 3 the Commander gets meaning we can add 25 points on onto of the cost of a captain (50 points), they also get a Hornblower which is another 15, they also get Stalwart for free rather then for 5 points so we can add 20 points (5 for each of the four companies) for that as well, add these up (25 + 50 + 15 + 10 + 20) and the formation should cost 120 points but actually cost 125 meaning you are paying 5 points over (which you could put down to being able to take the a Legendary instead of a Rare) instead of the 90 points over you are paying for the Rivendell Guards.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:21 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

In terms of points you pay too much, the Rivendell guard are certainly worse, the point is that as a formation, equal points of Rivendell Guard will beat the cr#p out of any Guardians of Caras Galadhon that would be unfortunate enough to cross their path.

:puppy: