All times are UTC

It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 11:56 am

Post subject: Let discuss the very rare minis, like Gollum, Grima...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:55 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

So, the quiestion is, have you ever tried this hero, or formation, what were your experiences, or if you never tried it, what do you think about it?

This is the list:
-Guards of the Fountain Court
-Denethors guard
-Peregrin Took, guard of the citadell
-Meriadoc, esquire of Rohan
-Hobbit militia
-The 3 Hunters
-Tom Bombadil
-The Fellowship
-White Council
-Battering ram
-Shelbob
-Necromancer
-The 9 are abroad
-Twilight Ringwarths
-Gollum
-Sauron
-Gríma
-Balrog
-Abrakhan Guard
-Spectral Host
-Werewolf pack
-Buhrdur
-Gulavhar
-Saruman
-Gandalf

Here I listed a lot of figures, formations, but Im curious about all of them. If you have some experiences please share us. Of course Im just talking about WOTR, not SBG

:frodo: :sam: :merry: :pippin: :aragorn: :boromir :legolas: :gimli: :gandalf: :sauron: :gollum:
 Post subject: Re: Let discuss the very rare minis, like Gollum, Grima...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:46 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

List Method it is:

Denethor's Guard: I've never used them or even seen them, but actually I think the unit looks pretty nice. Basically you're getting 2 extra Might points on a unit of Guards of the Citadel and you're only paying 15pts for it. Use Denethor's Might first thing and get him killed if you can manage it in a duel. His Broken Mind ability only becomes horrible against Spirit Grasp and Dismay, so it doesn't seem like such a horrendous unit to me.

Pippin/Merry: Re-rolling Courage tests can be really useful. Stick Pippin with Denethor's Guard! But that's a bit expensive for what you get. Generally that's what the hobbits are I think, although their roll-altering ability is very nice.

The Nine: I don't get it. I would never use this unit. The rules just aren't designed well for units like this. Mastery 10 without Epic Channeling? Worthless and beyond. Not bad in combat I guess, but probably the worst thing about them is taking them means you can't take any other Nazgul in your list, which, funnily enough, The Nine would greatly benefit from. Basically the rules don't work for this unit.

Grima: Very handy/very frustrating waste of points. Only because a simple AtD! roll can result in his being kicked from the unit you put him in. I had this happen in the last game I played. Very first courage roll the guy made, Grima was gone. Also, only good with of Dismay/Spirit Grasp (Angmar). Can enhance Saruman's casting some...oh wait, for some reason the Evil Saruman doesn't get Dismay. This guy's situational. Could be amazing if he doesn't have a hiccup. A bit too expensive generally.

Spectral Host: Too expensive, but very good if you're careful with them. I've used them next to Gulavhar to make it safe for him to Epic Rage. In general, Sap Strength is fantastically useful. This combined with Terror and judicious application of Dismay can make a combat seriously lopsided. I mean seriously. Just take the other guys off. However. Def 4 makes them super vulnerable to shooting and magic on the way. 80pts for Def 4 is a dangerous choice to make. Keep them hidden until the charge or you'll be very sorry you took them.

Werewolf Pack: What? You mean my "counts-as" Half Trolls/Uruk-Hai Berserkers, right? They have a Werewolf unit somewhere? ... Just Don't. Def 4 single company for 120pts and We Stand Alone. Wow-terrible.

Buhrdur: Fantastic if he makes it through the Shoot phase.Epic Strike makes him resistant to Duels. Epic Strength means anything he's looking at will crumple. Terror+Epic Strike+Epic Strength+Dismay=formation's eaten for breakfast. Ambush+Very Hard to Kill is good at protecting him from shooting and magic and gets him into combat immediately.

Gulavhar: Good or embarrassing. Courage 4. Panic Beast? Any Dismay spells? Need to AtD or take a Terror check? I always include the Witch King simply because Gulavhar has on far too many occasions failed the littler courage tests that no one else ever seems to have any problems with. And Visions of Woe is devastating on this drooler. Predator's Instinct, however, is so amazing he's pretty much guaranteed worth it, provided he doesn't get shot.

Saruman: A more reasonable Epic Tranquility that actually makes story-line sense. And Spells of Ruin. For 200pts? Absolutely. Be a complete Dick and add him and Aragorn/Elendil/Gil-Galad to the same formation. Any formation. That formation now auto-hits (basically). Always use in tandem with a Counsellor, though. Epic Renewal+Counsellor=Infinite Might Possibility. An excellent Team Good response to the Super Friends list too, with Epic Ruination and Tremor.

Gandalf: Grey is good. White is awesome. Overlord+Counsellor? Really? Who made these rules. Infinite Might for your entire army. Counsellor is just a wonderful ability anyhow. And Dismay+Command is always a good thing for Visions of Woe and Transfix, but you'll need more than one such caster (Galadriel, you dolts).

Dunnonuffink about the rest. Gollum seems maybe useful, since he can move out of a formation when it's about dead and go help kill another one.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:08 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Gondor and Arnor
Guards of the fountain court
More courage and fighting skill than normal warriors but less defense. I would just take them because I like them.
Denethor's guard
Broken mind is dangerous( Why they didn't have a rule like SBG to miss this rule because of Boromir?). I wouldn't use them
Peregrin Took, guard of the citadel
His special rule for courage is veyr useful( Especially with the hero that gets it better). Also in a crisis his other special rule can declare the winner by a simple dice.

The Kingdom of Rohan
Meriadoc Brandybuck, esquire of rohan
Same as Pippin

Forgotten kingdoms
Hobbit militia
Weak but very cheap. For example in a 1000 points match you can get 25 companies and such numbers are useful.
The three hunters
Many attacks [Less 6 max 15(No fighting skill bonus included)], attacks most times first and a lot of might for just 175 points. Very useful.
Tom Bombabil
He can heal your warriors a little and gives you a might each turn if he is near you. Maybe I would use him but I believe 200 points are too much.
The fellowship of the ring
Very strong with all stats being good. Also with Gandalf's magic the company cannot be easily removed. Expensive and only for 2000 points match and higher but very useful.
The White council
Again expensive but I believe less useful than the fellowship.
Saruman the white
Can co-operate very well with a counsellor model giving you endless might. His special rule can protect the formation and his spells are useful.
Gandalf the grey
Very well special rules and a lot of might and not just to him. Very useful.

Mordor
Mordor battering ram
I would only use it in a battle with many buildings but I would have it well guarded.
Shelob
High stats and hard to kill. Can be very useful if you use his ambusher rule right.
The necromancher of Dol guldur
Althought he has strong magical powers and some good special rules he is expensive. He can be very effective along spirits.
The nine are abroad
10 magical powers each turn (if all stay alive). Hits can be removed, courage less if somewhere behind or 12"near, free Will of iron and more magical powers if spellcasters nearby. Can help friendly formations a little, enemies may lose their might quicker, their few hits can be re-rolled and can use Fighting value and strangth of an nearby enemy hero. Althought expensive they are very useful...
Twilgiht Ringwraiths
Would only use them for their magic... 150 points for 3 magics per turn instead of a shamn with 1 for 100 points.
Sauron, the dark lord of Mordor
Two free might points each turn, high stats and good magical powers. lthought expensive it's very useful.
Gollum
Can help you end the enemy faster expect if the smart guys find you. Useful for just 50 points.

Isengard
Grima Wormtongue
Useful for 75 points but more risky for an unlucky end in compare with Gollum.
Saruman the white hand
Same as the good Saruman expect that this one gains one free might himself ratehr than to give to the others. Useful.

The misty mountains
The balrog of Morgoth
Maybe useful but I would never use it because it is a demon( You can get more than one in Wotr, I don't know if you can at SBG.)

Fallen realms
Abrakhan guard
I don't find his special rule very useful to take this formation.

Angmar
Spectral host
Their special rule can help them survive more.
Werewolf pack
Very fast,strong, many attacks, must all be killed and two 'wounds' each. Very useful and I also like them very much.
Buhrdur
Can be very useful if you use his ambusher rule right.
Gulavhar, the terror of Arnor
Hero killer and can be useful but as I said before I hate demon-like creatures and so no.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:11 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

How are Buhrdur, Gulavhar and Spectres rarely used minis?

PS, I will comment in depth later.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:16 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
How are Buhrdur, Gulavhar and Spectres rarely used minis?

PS, I will comment in depth later.

This is just my oppinon. I never used them. This is why I ask.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:23 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Played against Buhrdur and he was more there to act as a might battery and as an attempt to surprise and disrupt me - but I didn't allow it to, lol.

Saruman: Used him as a Dwarf army against Angmar and he was invaluable - shatter shields is SO useful (as are a whole bunch of the ruin spells), the reduced number of charges against you is a bonus and the increased courage is good anyway (AtD!, Terror, spells, failed Panic etc) and against Angmar is even better because of D7!

Gandalf: Main uses as the grey are Touched by Destiny and Counsellor, but I'd basically rather have saruman in most situations. As the White - too many points for me to bother with, if I'm honest. 2 formations of 5 companies of riders of rohan for the same price (as an example), but I've not seen him used, so can;t comment other than that.

As for the rest, I could only speculate and it's too late for me to bother with that right now, ha ha ha.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:49 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hi Bastion.hun, I think you have a few different things in there but they can be usefully grouped
1. Epic Heroes
-Saruman & Gandalf see here: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=20022
-Peregrin Took, guard of the citadell & Meriadoc, esquire of Rohan Peregrin is actually a pretty good cheap Epic Hero for Gondor. Meriadoc is also pretty handy, since heroes that can be moved about are generally quite useful.
Grima is always handy if your army has abilities that cause courage tests.

2. Monsters with might
All of these three are actually pretty good and hardly rare. They don't cost too much, have useful abilities and can double. I find the key thing with hero monsters is to always pair them with other units so as to screen, set up charges etc.
-The 3 Hunters
-Buhrdur
-Gulavhar

Honourable mention:
-Hobbit Militia: cheap bow often comes in handy so these could too. Often units are so far down the priority list because you keep the pressure up on your opponent and it may be quite late into the game before these even get targeted.
-Battering ram (not a hero monster but pretty cool, in its own way)

The issue for all of the rest of these is simply cost vs their alternatives. The real heavy hitters amongst them (Balrog and Sauron) has specific and quite crippling vulnerabilities too.
-Balrog
-Shelbob
-Necromancer
-Sauron
-The 9 are abroad
-Twilight Ringwarths
-White Council
-Tom Bombadil
-The Fellowship
-Gollum
-Abrakhan Guard
-Spectral Host (Though this is completely different in the Spirit Legion Battlehost where they are quite useful due to allowing Epics to join.
-Werewolf pack

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:34 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Grima is also useful to use when you're playing with a large number of Spirit Graspers - E.G. Angmar. Combine him with a few spells and The Watcher in the Shadows and you suddenly have D1 Dwarfs O.o
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:49 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Right, I'm going to answer only about thing ii've used, played against or thought about enough.

-Denethors guard - never used or played against, but its strength is that you can't have your courage reduced.

-Peregrin Took, guard of the citadell/Meriadoc, esquire of Rohan - cheap might and sacrifice

-Hobbit militia - cheap

-The 3 Hunters - played against twice, once with mumaks, once with Angmar, they're surprisingly good for their cost. Resistance 3 makes them hard to wound, and is bad for Spirits without a wrath as courage is higher than defence.

-The Fellowship - powerful formation that can replenish casualties

-White Council - same as above, but with more magic

-Battering ram - cheapest monsters you can get, chances are you're opponant will ignore them.

-Shelob - very powerful ATD ambush monster, very good

-Necromancer - ATD spirit walk magic

-The 9 are abroad - alsa played against this - they are powerful, but using them reduces army size and you can't have any wraiths. Powerful unit though, especially with Khamul.

-Twilight Ringwarths - ATD spirit walk magic

-Sauron - magic, fragile, less sio than necromancer but can't spirit walk

-Gríma - of limited use for isengard, but very useful as an ally for Angmar as it makes enemies easier to kill for your spirits.

-Balrog - powerful EHtK monster, but dragon is better for less points

-Abrakhan Guard - with battlehost, some uses, worse than normal Haradrim without bow most of the time (and you all know how bad they are), they should come like they do in SBG.

-Spectral Host - more useful than ghostly legion. Used it myself yesterday, keeping the Tainted in their was good for his magic since they don't have WSA. However they are still way overcosted and Sap Strength is of little use.

-Werewolf pack - used this too, but they aren't good at all, enemy ballistas on elevated terraign don't help. they are far too expensive in pts.

-Buhrdur - the best thing in the Angmar list, you'd be mad not to use him or think him rare, easily capable of killing double his points in troops. i used him yesterday too, and he was my best unit.

-Gulavhar - not as goood as Buhrdur as he costs less and can ambush, but he;s also good, another of my best units yesterday.

-Saruman - both the evil one and the good one are powerful, played against evil one.

-Gandalf - never seen but rumoured to be good.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:33 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Bastion.HUN, since you for some reason think Buhrdur is rarely use, I'd just like to quote what this guy from another site says:

Quote:
All this for 125 points. Unless you absolutely do not have the points to fit him in, take him. He's as close to an auto-include as Khamul in my view if you are playing competitively.

If you want proof, he is talking about Buhrdur, click on the following link:

http://fearandloathingonthetabletop.blo ... bel/Angmar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:57 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Buhrdur althought not used by me personally ( at least yet)is very useful 8)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:13 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I did use him personall and agree he is useful, hence the (mock) comparison to Khamul.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:49 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Played the three hunters for the first time against a mordor army and had a great time. We played a 1000 point game and I think their well worth the cost. You just have to use them carefully ie flanking attacks. I managed to wipe out 4
companies of morannan orcs with shields out, and a full formation of orcs with two handed weapons,i can have done better but with their great sucsess got too greedy and got them trapped, :o Their very manoeuvrable with at the double and can usual keep out of trouble . The only trouble I had was deciding which one to remove as casualty??.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:38 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

You remove Legolas 1st, then Gimli, and then Aragorn.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:02 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Yer that's what I ended up doing :sad:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:04 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

D0Cdeath wrote:
Yer that's what I ended up doing :sad:

I feel for you :(

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:52 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

That's what I would do... Althought my brother would go for 1ST GIMLI 2ND Aragorn 3rd Legolas... 8)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:05 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Of course... That's what I will do... 8)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:40 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Only because you like Legolas, the other two have more useful rules. :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:10 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Eh... You know... Children;'s way of thinking... I am sure he will change his minds after some tests... 8)